Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Multi-Cultural Weekend

I'm feeling soooo much better! Those UTIs are extremely painful. I thought I was going to die on Monday. Glad it's over.

You may have heard about a corpse flower named Lois that Houston has been going gaga over. She has lived at the Houston Museum of Science for 6 years and was making her blooming debut. Thursday night at 10pm we decided that the time was right to go see her. She had bloomed and she had a foul smell going on. How could I possibly miss this?!

It seems that a lot of other Houstonians had the same idea. The earliest tickets I could get were for 12:45am. No problem. I buy my tickets online and we wait for our time.

My sleepy family arrives at the museum around 12:30am to pick up the tickets and wait in line. You would not believe the lines to see this flower! People who did not order their tickets online were waiting 3 hours to see this plant.

Here is a video of the event. You'll also see one of the more....colorful...visitors to the museum who dressed up in a corpse flower outfit and sat in a pot so people could take pictures. Did he/she lose a bet? I wasn't going to ask.

video

Friday morning we got home at 2am and crawled into bed. Within a few hours it was time for Chuck to drive to Beaumont for a job interview. Some friends he went to high school with own a business and they wanted to talk to him. It might be a good opportunity but I'm kind of hoping that we stay in Houston. This is home now even though I grew up in the Beaumont area.

We left the kids at my mom's to enjoy some swimming before summer ends then Chuck and I made the 2 hour drive back home. We were pretty sleepy.

That night we took advantage of the opportunity for a date night and went to Cafe Pita Plus for some Bosnian food. Yum!!! It was a small, crowded and hot place but the food was great. The restaurant was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I didn't take a picture. Sorry. :(

Go to their web site to see some pics of their great food.

Saturday we slept in late getting some much needed sleep. Then we had the great idea to go to an Indian buffet at Cuisine of India. This is some of the best food I've had. I highly recommend it. I only got one plate and some kheer (rice pudding) and some spiced tea. It was all wonderful and full of flavor.

Chuck and I just enjoyed a lazy day and went to a couple of shops. We also bought Charlie's birthday gift. Yeah!

After a while we decided to go out for a different type of dinner. We had dessert for dinner! I know! How bad are we? LOL

Meet the Dessert Gallery. You can't really see it in the picture but on the top shelf are two containers of cookie dough that you can buy by the scoop. The cakes and pies can be purchased by the slice. They also have sandwiches and appetizers and coffees.Chuck got a yellow cake with chocolate frosting and a double macchiato. I got a chocolate raspberry cake with a double macchiato. Ohhh....so sinfully good. NO, I didn't feel the least bit guilty. :) And there was no way we could eat the whole slice. Way too sweet to do that. Afterwards we went and looked at books at the bookstore and then around 10pm we went our for some Mexican food and margaritas. What a great day. Do I even need to say that I wasn't counting calories?

Sunday we slept late again then lazily got ready to go for a hike. We wanted to try somewhere different so I suggested a section of the Lone Star Hiking Trail. There was a clear stream surrounded by white sand that I wanted to try to find.

I never did find that stream because I took a left when I should have taken a right in the woods. We still had a nice 6 mile hike in the 100 degree weather.

Some of the trail was well kept and clear. Some of the trail was a little more overgrown. Between us we picked off 3 ticks after the hike. We could smell wild hogs at one point (they have a distinct scent) but we never saw them. We heard birds and bugs and crickets as the day grew later.

We even got to see this unusual luna moth. Very cool. It felt good to get out on a long-ish hike. I wouldn't mind doing something like that every day. It gets kind of boring walking in the neighborhood and lately we've been having a lot of rain anyway.

And early Monday morning I woke up with the beginnings of a UTI and by late morning I was in excruciating pain. I'm on antibiotics and doing much better now.

Well, we're pretty much caught up now. I have some new recipes planned and if they turn out ok I'll be sharing them with you. :)

3 comments:

  1. I hope your recipes go well so that you can share!

    Oh boy- that dessert looks soooo delicious! Why don't we have places like that around here? I'm craving some Cheesecake Factory cheesecake now! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's meet up at the Cheesecake Factory and swap Corpse Flower stories.
    Glad you are getting a "wee" bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you could get a slice of whatever kind of dessert...what a fun day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)