Friday, July 16, 2010

Thursday Steps to a Better Me

Thursday started extra early for me. I heard Chuck leave for work at 6am and I woke up and decided to go for a walk. Was I ill?! I don't do mornings.

I stumbled to the closet and put on my shoes then strapped on my huge Garmin Forerunner. Hmmm....wonder if they make a Forewalker?

Mornings are such an interesting time. The birds are singing and flying about. It must be wonderful to wake up each morning and sing your heart out. I guess they're just happy to have made it to live another day.

The sun had not officially made its appearance yet but the sky was glowing and bright. I walked to the new running track in the neighborhood which is already starting to show signs of neglect. Weeds have overgrown portions of the trail and there were some serious erosion problems on a couple of small rises in the trail. At the back of the trail are tall weeds in a prairie-like setting. Walking towards it I could see the fog of humidity in the early light. I then had to question if it was really humidity or a cloud of mosquitoes. Bloodsucking bugs are such a great motivator to walk quickly. There was an immense black fog following me. I heard a meadowlark singing his heart out and I wanted to stop to try to spot him but the mosquitoes made it clear that if I should stop I would become a buffet for them. Not wanting to become any one's breakfast, I continued on my hurried walk.

Somewhere along the way the sun made its grand entrance. Beautiful. On the still lake was a lone duck swimming making a "V" in the water as it glided effortlessly. The huge sun was peaking above the horizon right in front of the duck which made a wonderful photo op. My camera was not with me though. Bummer.

Along the sidewalks were huge 3" slugs trying to cross the cement desert to manicured lawns. I decided to them across as I came to them. Otherwise they may bake as the sun rose or ants might attack them or an unobservant person might trample them. I picked a few up and tossed them in to a yard then realized my hands were covered in salty sweat. I hope my benevolence didn't kill them!

I'm not quite sure what happened but about 45 minutes into my walk I started to notice a rub on the back of my heel. I've worn these shoes for a while so I don't understand why they were rubbing. Whatever the reason, I have a big sore spot on the back of my left heel now.

In all I walked 3.4 miles and it felt great. My right hip joint did feel kind of quirky sometimes but I just kept going.

I showered, grabbed a Sugar Free Rock Star and finished reading Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife. According to the author's findings, the only spirits in the afterlife appear to be vodka and rum. I still have to hold on to the "energy is neither created nor destroyed" theory.

"Fame! I'm gonna live forever. I'm gonna learn how to fly--high! I'm gonna make it to heaven. Light up the sky like a flame. Fame! I'm gonna live forever. Baby, remember my name."

Mostly I can't even begin to imagine the idea of just ceasing to exist. It gives me comfort to think that I will be with Chuck forever. To think otherwise would just be too depressing.

I wish you could have been here for dinner. It was fantastic: roast beef, vegetable medley, rolls, rice and gravy. I'm going to share the roast recipe with you because it's just too darn easy and delicious not to make it. So do try it if you don't mind the fact that it uses some packaged goodies.

Unbelievably Good Crock Pot Roast

1 roast
1 package Italian dressing mix
1 package Ranch dressing mix
1 package brown gravy mix
1/2-3/4 cup warm water

Place the roast in a crock pot and sprinkle the mixes over the top. Pour water over all and turn crock pot to LOW. I put mine in at 11am and it was falling apart by 6pm.

I like to serve it over rice and pour some of the gravy over the top. Let me know what you think if you try it.

Rachel had a driver's ed class. I'm so happy that it's nearly over but not nearly as happy as she is! I'm a little disappointed with some of the teachers this company has hired. Last night she had an instructor who is an older man and spends way too much time telling the kids about how wealthy he is and that every one in his family is a genius. He has a huge house, expensive cars, blah blah blah blah. Oh, and he only teaches driver's ed because he likes teaching. Riiiiiight. Sorry but truly intelligent people don't need to go around bragging about it. They know better. Usually. But I don't need this guy using the time that I paid for to try to coax "wows" out of kids to feed his insecurity.

The evening was nice and quiet. Watched a couple of Bones episodes and started a new book: Anthropology of an American Girl.

Wondering what I can do to go for a walk without further irritating the sore on the back of my heal. A Band-aid maybe? We'll see. No matter what I'm going for a walk. :)

Other news: Chuck received a job offer in Beaumont, TX. It would have to be an "offer I couldn't refuse" to get me to move away. We'll see. The "official" interview will be next Friday.

Houston is on watch for the blooming of a rare corpse flower at the museum. There is a live camera and the center is open 24 hours. The plant has been on the news and it's being discussed on the radio and Twitter. You know it's a big deal if it makes it to Twitter.

"The "Corpse Flower" (Amorphophallus titanum) gets its name from the pungent stench it emits in bloom - this, combined with the flower's huge size and deep purple color, convinced the first explorers who encountered it in Sumatra to believe it was a man-eating plant! Since then, this extremely rare plant has gained celebrity status by having one of the largest, rarest, and smelliest flowers in the world. These flowers can reach heights of 7-10 ft and a diameter of 5-6 ft. "

You know that I can't miss this. I'm waiting for Lois (of course they named her) to bloom and then I'll be dragging the family along to the museum to see a flower and experience the rotting corpse smell. Fun! Wanna come?

5 comments:

  1. At least somebody's getting a job offer! Good luck - hope things go well.

    I feel the same incredulity as you, getting up at the crack of dawn to exercise - WHO ARE WE, KELLY?!?!?!?

    Have a good weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful description of the scenery on your walk- I felt like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the offer you couldn't refuse to move.

    Corpse flower hmmm...I'll need a visual. Wait while I google images. That is crazy. That thing is ginormous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome and thought provoking.
    Rock Star in the morning does this to us,
    ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use diaper rash cream on my feet all summer for all my shoes, running shoes, sandals, crocs, whatever! It WORKS!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)