Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Red Beans and Rice Recipe

This is a super easy recipe for those weeknights you don't really feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Serve it with a salad and a Grands Reduced Fat Biscuit and you have a great dinner.
Red Beans and Rice

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion chopped or use dried minced onion to save time
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 TBS chili powder
2 tsp salt (I used seasoned salt)
1 16 oz can tomatoes or tomato juice (I used tomato juice)
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1 can red kidney beans, undrained

Brown meat with onion and peppers. Add remaining ingredients except rice and beans. Remove from heat and pour into a 9x13 pan. Stir in rice and beans. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Note: this is more like a pilaf, drier than usual red beans and rice, but full of flavor. We loved it!

In other news, I am doing so much better and have no more pain. Yeah! Guess I'm finally healed. How in the world did women go through that before antibiotics?

A few days ago I was talking about Chuck's job offer in Beaumont. Well, it's not going to happen. We would have to sell our house and since we refinanced it for a lower rate and rolled the closing costs into our mortgage, we now owe more than what it's worth. If I had it do over I would not have refinanced but that's another story. The point is that selling our house would be a major issue. I really wasn't too hip on the idea of moving anyway so it all worked out.

Just so you know, I'm ready for fall. I tried to walk outside yesterday but my shoes melted to the concrete. We haven't seen weather conditions like this since the dawn of earth. I may exaggerate a little but it's still hot. :) Come on, fall!

4 comments:

  1. How many people are we feeding with that recipe of awesomeness.. I'm thinking 10 dieters, or me...
    Great stuff, and great picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I am right with you on the heat! Didn't even go running this morning because of it. As for the job - hey, it was worth looking into, but you didn't sound too thrilled about moving to Beaumont anyway, so it's all for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm saving this recipe to make in the near future- Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same thing yesterday....is this the end of time? The fall of civilization? People are lined up in the air conditioning like in the movie Soylent Green or something.
    Gotta go - don't want to lose my place in line!
    *pant*pant*

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)