Thursday, August 26, 2010

What Happens When I Don't Exercise and Don't Diet

With a title like that you'd expect to hear the worst. "I've gained everything back but I swear I'm going to really try harder this time." Gee, how many times have I said that before?

This summer I got really lazy with the exercise. I know I have and I don't really have a good excuse. It started out with an illness and then the full heat of summer rolled around but I still have an arsenal of workout DVDs and the Wii "games." So no valid excuse anyway.

I also stopped weighing myself obsessively. Seriously, I was stepping on that scale almost every time I walked past the thing. I'm wondering if I have some sort of obsessive personality. Hmmmm......

I also stopped counting every single calorie that I ate. Part of that obsessive personality trait, yes? It was so liberating! I just ate when I was hungry and didn't eat when I wasn't. What a concept! LOL

I also stopped going out to eat as much. Partly due to watching finances more closely and partly due to realizing I can make stuff just as good at home. And cheaper! But it's still nice to go out from time to time. There is an Indian buffet about 45 minutes from here that is totally worth the trip and I'm not going to spend all day in the kitchen trying to recreate their stuff. But a trip to Whataburger isn't as appealing as a last minute meal when I can make chicken marsala for less than what I'd spend on burgers and greasy fries.


I know I've gained a little weight but I also know it's not a lot because all of my clothes fit just fine. I have banished my scale to the closet but I dragged it out yesterday just to take a peak before locking it back up (I've become abusive to my scale but I'm seeking help). Wow! I gained less than 10 pounds. I know that's not an exact number but I couldn't remember exactly how much I weighed last time I checked. If I am remembering the numbers correctly, I think I gained 6 pounds.

I know that's nothing to be thrilled about and I'm not really. A gain sucks no matter how you spin it. But the good thing is that it's not a lot and I can work that off easily. The part that has me partially excited is that I've been eating real food and not counting calories and it didn't pack on the pounds like I would expect. If I just exercise I can still have my cake and eat it too!

This weekend I begin to incorporate exercise and get those pounds melting back off. But I'm so happy that I won't have to limit myself to low calorie stuff. I won't have to be obsessive. Yeah!!!

One thing that I've noticed is that by making food without a worry about calories, I eat less of it. For instance, I made a blueberry cobbler (recipe to come soon) but it's so rich that I am totally satisfied with only a small bit. Same thing with chocolate chip cookies: 1/4th is just fine to satisfy a sweets craving. When I make a sandwich with homemade bread I can usually only eat half because it's so filling.

So we'll see how it goes on my little eat-like-there's-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie diet/experiment. I'll have to make adjustments if I don't see some happy results with exercise incorporated. The only thing I feel guilty about is falling off my exercise wagon. But that is easily remedied.

OK. Coffee is brewed so I'm off of here. If I don't talk to ya before then, I hope y'all have a great weekend. Stay cool....it's going to be reaching some triple digits around these parts.

8 comments:

  1. Well, if that's not intuitive eating, I don't know what is!!! Wow, Kelly! That is amazing. And freeing, isn't it! You can eat what you want and trust yourself. You are satisfied and happy. That is a win-win, if you ask me. :) And 6 lbs....pfft... a drop in the bucket. Great job on living life free from diets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm relieved to hear that you didn't lose ten pounds...just because I would have to rethink my entire strategy, lol! But you're right - eating foods that are so satisfying does make you happy and full and less likely to keep scrambling for something else. Once you get back to your exercise routine those few extra pounds will fall off...and it's been a bugger of a hot summer, hasn't it?!? I think everyone's exercise has been off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOO
    You said "What-A-Burger!"
    I myself have a heat injury and my first gain!
    But I know what to do to make the correction, so it's still all good!
    My word verification is "unkway"
    Fitting somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I need to work on that. I'm not good with balance. I'm either all healthy all the time or splurging. I've got to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, that's great! You can't live your life obsessing about some of this stuff. That's no way to live! So yes, if you need to take a step back, then do it!

    And look how great you did!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...6 lbs isn't bad at all for taking the summer off!! Good for you! Eating when you're hungry...and not eating when you're not...what a concept, indeed! lol Glad you're getting back to the exercise. I bet you'll find out just how much you missed it...I know I did. Just got started back this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should try making my chicken tikka masala - it seriously can be made on a weeknight its that quick to put together!

    http://biz319.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/more-indian-food/

    I enjoyed our high 70's weather this past week, but its going to get hot again this weekend - can't wait until fall!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)