Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Deviled Eggs; The Best Tuna Salad

A few days ago I had a craving for some deviled eggs.  Not sure why because I'm not a big deviled egg fan.  But I found a recipe in my "Cooking Bible" and they were so quick and easy that I made a batch.  They were great!  They also make a great little snack when you're not starving but you need a little something to keep you going.

The method of boiling the eggs will give you perfect eggs every single time. 
Place 7 eggs in a saucepan; cover with water to an inch over the egg.  Bring to a boil over high heat.. Remove pan from the heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.  Fill a bowl with cold water and 14 (1 tray) of ice cubes. Transfer the eggs to the cold water and let sit for 5 minutes.  Peel.

YUM!!
These are great and very easy.
PRINTER READY COPY OF RECIPE HERE.

And just for fun, Rachel decided to dress up her breakfast one morning.  Breakfast: good for us; bad for eggs.

For our camping trip I made a recipe from Cook's Country magazine (by the same people of America's Test Kitchens) for, what they called, The Best Tuna Salad.  Was it?  I thought it was fantastic but Chuck raved and raved about it.  He said it really was the best tuna salad he had ever tasted.  Of course, my kids wouldn't touch the stuff.
And on homemade bread it is pretty hard to beat.  This will definitely be a staple around here.
PRINTER READY COPY OF RECIPE HERE.

You may notice that the recipe calls for onions.  I am not a fan of onions but I went with the recipe this time.  It is great and you never taste the onion and there are no crunchy onion bits in it.
------------------------------------------
My Life with the Cat: So the kitten is still here.  I'm entertaining the idea of letting it stay even though we already have a zoo and the idea of one more animal in the house does not thrill me.  But it is cute and the kids are having so much fun with it.  It really is cute.

Exercise: yesterday we had Tropical Storm Hermine visiting.  It brought flood warnings and tornado warnings.  Fun, fun, fun.  I do enjoy a good storm but it made going outside for my exercise time a little difficult.  I thought the worst of it had passed once so I went outside to bring in the trash can (trash days: Tuesday and Friday) and it started pouring on me again.  I've run/walked in the rain before but there was some serious lightning with this storm.  I didn't want to end up an extra-crispy jogger so I stayed in.

Exercise consisted of 40 minutes of dancing to Just Dance.  I love this game.  It gets my heart pumping and a good sweat going but it's so much fun that it doesn't feel like exercise.  It's hard not to be in a good mood while dancing to "Groove is in the Heart."  And you can't help but laugh when busting a move to "You Can't Touch This."

Wednesday I am playing taxi to the kids all day.  Literally all day.  From 11:30am-6:00pm.  Biology labs, art lessons, and everything in between.  They're worth it though. :)

6 comments:

  1. My Mr. always relates deviled eggs to poker night. I think it was a staple for him back in his bachelor days.

    The tuna recipe is interesting. I wonder what the idea is behind having both olive oil and mayo? And I'd bet that the sugar cancels out the onion.

    Your thoughts of keeping the kitty are why I refuse to pet sit or take in a stray. Of course, we've been pet free for 10 years now and honestly, enjoy being able to to pack up and go whenever we want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did you name the kitty? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Helen: the olive oil is used to cook the onions. I did not notice it adding any flavor to the mixture.

    @Shelley: We're calling the kitty Libby (short for Libtery) since we think she was probably born in July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dancing! Its my favorite fit it in exercise because I can do it at home and I still feel all happy afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 love the cat
    2 love the tuna
    3 love the eggs
    I guess it's true
    All ya need is Love!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)