Thursday, September 30, 2010

Doctor Results (the good and bad news)

First, the good news.
Cholesterol, liver, etc. look great.  No problem.

Now the plethora of bad news:
I'm low on Vitamin D (not a big deal)
low on iron from heavy bleeding (not a big deal, take iron supplements)
thyroid on the low side
testoterone too high
polycystic ovaries (not sure what that is just yet)
the worst case of insulin resistance he's seen; numbers off the chart, within 5 years he predicted I'd be diabetic if it weren't found (but it was so everything should be cool)

The good news is that this was caught before I got the diabetes.  He also remarked that he was surprised at how thin I was considering the severity of my insulin resistance.  He attributed it to my exercise habits, though they have been lacking lately.

He said that science says that insulin resistance can be traced to one Viking man who must have had a party and spread his seed all over the place.  (I have Scottish, English and Irish heritage)  He also mentioned that Native Americans have some of these problems.  I have quite a bit of Native American blood.  He also said that I would more than likely have to have my gall bladder removed at a later date.

For now, I am to take 3 over the counter medicines (Vitamin D, Iron, and 2 baby aspirin) and 4 prescriptions:
Yaz for the painful and moody cycles
Synthroid for my thyroid
Cytomel for my thyroid
Metformin for the insulin resistance

The doctor also recommended that I get The Insulin Resistance Diet book (found it at Barnes and Noble), never eat carbs alone (must have a protein with them), and do at least 15 minutes of aerobic activity every single day.  With all of this I should start to lose weight and have more energy and control the insulin problems.

I'm in a little bit of a daze right now trying to absorb everything he said.  He told me the numbers from the glucose test but I honestly can't remember them all right now.  They weren't very good. 

But the good news is that this can be controlled and it was caught before I developed diabetes.  I asked twice and he assured me that I don't have diabetes.  That's good!  No, that's great!!

I will start taking the medicines incrementally over a period of 4 weeks to let my body adjust.  It's a lot to absorb physically and mentally as well.  And I just went to see the doc because I had a growth on my cervix! LOL  I'm very happy that this was diagnosed.  Not happy that I have the issues but happy that they can be helped and that I found out before too late.  Ya know?

Of course there are some side effects. Jeez, really?  Explosive diarrhea and nausea?  Not cool.  I'm sure you'll be hearing about the merry adventures of the Super Insulin Resistant Woman throughout the weeks.  Aren't you lucky? :-)

Now I'm trying to get my head back in the game (did I mention I'm a little dazed by all of this?) and get ready for our trip tomorrow.

Have a wonderful weekend!!  I'm sure I'll have my head screwed back on straight by the time I get back.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS a lot to absorb! I'm so glad for your sake that the insulin resistance was caught now - ward off diabetes by all means!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been where you are now and it is good you are finding out about it now. Insulin Resistance and Polycystic Ovaries go hand in hand. The actual condition is PCOS. There is tons of information out there on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad thyroid woman here. I'm glad you found out and the docs are working on it. Be patient is the best advice I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you caught everything early!

    Hope you don't think about it all too much and get to enjoy your weekend! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- lots of information. Glad that you can be proactive about everything. I am on Yaz, they recently came out with a generic version that I went on- I had terrible side effects (REALLY bad depression and suicidal thoughts...and I'm a happy person!) VERY SCARY- so watch out for that. I switched back to the Yaz and I'm fine...just something different in the generic that didn't work with my body chemistry I guess... Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW ! Tons of info to absorb. I had my gall bladder out 2 weeks ago... Not too bad! Healed up and back at it already! I will keep you in my prayers!

    I'm really glad they caught it all before becoming diabetic! That's great news.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are well.... At work, when I am offered a sweet treat, I tell them I am diabetic....or at least I probably would have been sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive never heard of that book. Hmmmm... Im glad your on top of everything ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you on getting the book to learn more about your condition!
    It is good to find those things out now so that you can fight off diabetes.
    Sounds like you have a good Dr!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it's a lot to absorb, but at least it's all stuff that easily controlled! Glad you got checked out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you found out now. I'm going to check out that book. You are going to start feeling much better, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't posted on your post in some time, but since you are now part of the many of millions of people with hypothyroidism, I thought I would share these two websites for you. They have helped me over the years.

    http://thyroid.about.com/
    http://www.thyroid-info.com/

    Mary Shomon also has a Face Book page that she writes on daily. Hope this is an encouragement to you.

    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you're right!! A lot of info to take in! Glad the resistance to insulin was found before diabetes came along!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Honey *Hugs* That is a lot to get hit with at once...But, as you said, thankfully you found all this out NOW ...not later when it would take a lot more to get you well. Good luck. I'm also concerned about insulin resistance...You basically described my heritage, and my father is borderline resistant right now...I'm guessing it's just a matter of time for me. I should be smart and buy a book or something and get serious about my health for my future, eh?

    Good luck with adjusting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I took metformin for years, and you will definitely see results.

    Yep, never have carbs alone, your glucose doesn't jump as much when you pair a carb with a protein - so if I had an apple, I'd have some string cheese.

    And of course, a low glycemic diet worked wonders for me - I maintained my 70 pound weight loss for years until I was put on insulin.

    Suddenly I could have an extra piece of pizza - just take more insulin!

    So here I am 33 pounds heavier in three years. We can do this!

    Hugs!

    Biz

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was hit with all of this at 30 years old...thyroid, diabetes (glad you don't have it!), PCOS, high cholesterol...also had high blood pressure. As a matter of fact, I just posted my lab results a little while ago!

    Let me save you years and years of trouble with your thyroid. MAKE SURE you take the BRAND name....synthroid....DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME taking generics for your thyroid. I was on generic for 8 years before a physician's assistant FINALLY suggested I take the brand name..synthroid. NOTE: this was AFTER damn near all of my hair has fallen out (hypothyroidism thins your hair...MAKE SURE you take the synthroid). Not sure what the prices are in TX or if it even varies from state to state, but mine is $35.00 every month....totally worth it.

    I took the metformin...that's the one that will cause the diarreah..sorry dude. I'm off of it now after losing 90+ lbs. Since you're already thin, it sounds like your's is from all genetics and losing weight isn't your issue like it was for me.

    I came off the cholesterol meds just by cutting out grease/fried foods. That was easy.

    I have the PCOS...I'm told the symptoms of this will diminish when I hit goal weight...still waiting to see about that one.

    All of these are manageable. Take the synthroid as soon as you wake up in the morning w/ water...and DO NOT EAT for an hour. Eating too soon will negate the good the meds are doing you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lot of info. You seem to have taken in what the doctor said. Once you get in the swing of managing the conditions, I'm sure your life will be back to normal (more or less).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)