Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fat Witch Brownies; Buttermilk Baked Chicken

Let me just start by saying that I am totally loving this fall weather we're getting.  It was actually cool outside!  I had grand plans of taking the whole family for a walk (LOL, sounds like I was going to walk them like dogs) but my allergies kicked in pretty early yesterday.  I was sneezing and hacking.  My eyes were puffy and I was going just a little crazy.  I felt worse and worse as the day progressed but if I took allergy medicine I would slip into a mini-coma.  That's not a bad thing except that I have kids at home and a dinner to cook.

I rallied my strength, used half a bottle of nose spray (ahhhh! it burns!), and whipped up a batch of brownies from my new Fat Witch Brownies cookbook.
Meh.
It may look dense in the picture but these brownies were more cake-like in texture than brownie.  I found reviews online and others had the same trouble.  The recipes are easy to follow and use simple ingredients but the original "Fat Witch Brownie" recipe in the book did not yield the best results.
Printer-ready recipe of Original Fat Witch Brownies here.

I will say that the house smelled wonderful while these guys were baking.  When I took the pan out of the oven the brownies were poofy but they did chillax while cooling and develop some cracks.  Not a big deal.  I even waited semi-patiently for them to cool completely.  They were just ok.  I've had much better.  Good flavor but not a good texture.  Bummer.  I guess it would make a good diet: make crappy food and you won't want to eat it. :)

Allergies still in full swing, I sneezed my way through making dinner: Buttermilk Baked Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and salad.  My heart was not into cooking but the family has to eat.
Chuck's Hungry-Man portion.

The chicken was easy to make: make a buttermilk, ranch, sour cream and salt brine. Place skinned chicken meat (I used a couple of breasts and a bunch of chicken legs I got on sale for $2) in brine to soak from 30 minutes to 1 hour.  Make some bread crumbs int he food processor then bake them until golden.  Roll chicken in crumbs then bake.  Very simple.

The chicken was super juicy.  Chuck raved about it and Charlie cleaned his plate.  I had 1 baked breast that must have come from the Dolly Parton of chickens.  The thing covered half my plate!  I ate a few bites and a couple of bites of potatoes and my salad and was done.  The allergies just had me feeling bleck.  But the food was really good. 

Issues:
The chicken was soggy in some places on the bottoms.  The tops were as crunchy as fried chicken.

I forgot to turn the oven down when I moved the chicken to the top rack so the tops got a little too browned in some spots.  It was fine though.

The recipe is really easy and a great week night dinner.  Thanks, Cook's Country magazine!
Printer-ready recipe for Crunchy Baked Buttermilk Chicken here.

The day ended with me taking a couple of pills and passing out.  Stupid allergies.

7 comments:

  1. Feel better! Allergies SUCK! I've been lucky that I haven't had to deal with them too much this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear, I still love Betty Crocker boxed brownies the best - I've never liked any made-from-scratch quite as well.

    Sorry your allergies are so bad - the weather is gorgeous and you need to get out and enjoy it - we Texans have "earned" this nice weather, dontcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at the "make crappy food so you don't eat it!"

    My daughters allergies are in full swing, so I can sympathize!

    Since we bought a deep fryer, pretty sure I've not made baked chicken in a long time, but I always cooked my chicken on a cookie rack, on top of a jelly roll pan - the chicken gets crispy all the way around.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have oven baked buttermilk fried chicken on the menu this week, too! I was going to use a Cooking Light Recipe, but maybe I'll try this one instead!

    Sorry about your allergies :( Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so fortunate to not have allergy problems! Feel better soon! Those brownies and the chicken look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brownies "look" great anyway! :D I'll have to try the chicken. Haven't done a crunchy topping for awhile...everything's been grilled. Ahhh summer. (though I enjoy the fall weather, too)

    ReplyDelete
  7. and
    DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

    Love,

    a fellow allergied texan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)