Monday, September 20, 2010

Ribs, For Her Pleasure

Weekends have become a time of cooking and great family time together.  Chuck has been my kitchen buddy for the past few weekends and I have really enjoyed it.  This weekend, however, his shoulder was bothering him more than usual so I was by myself in the kitchen.  I sure missed my buddy but it was fun making good victuals (or is it vittles?) for him.

Friday Rachel and I visited a restaurant supply store.  Wow! I've never been to one of these places before and was surprised at the sizes of the equipment for sale.  They had mixers that sat on the floor and were as tall as Charlie.  Everything from cotton candy machines to huge griddles were sold here.  I went specifically looking for a Victorinox 8" chef's knife that was recommended by the folks at America's Test Kitchen.  The supply store had them on sale for $25!  Woohoo! Score!  I was looking for the Fibrox handle but the Microban handles were on sale.  Even better.  I also got a blade guard to keep it safe.
The blade is so sharp.  I can't believe I've waited so long to get a good knife.  It makes all the difference.

With new toy in hand, it was time to crank out some good eatin'.
On the Menu: Memphis-Style Barbecued Spareribs, Barbecued Baked Beans, Creamy Macaroni 'N' Cheese

The ribs: I used St. Louis spareribs which are different than a regular slab of spareribs because they've had the belly, skirt meat and excess cartilage removed.  Get two of those slabs, make a seasoning rub and massage them to get them relaxed for the adventure.
The recipe uses your grill to smoke the ribs.  I have an electric smoker so I used that.  After the ribs have been kissed by the smoke and basted a couple of time with an apple juice/vinegar mix, you transfer them to a 300 degree oven where they continue to cook.  Baste them a couple of more times and they're done.  Super easy.
Let the ribs rest tented under some foil for 15 minutes before cutting.

Cut ribs between the bones and serve.  No barbecue sauce necessary.
Charlie, my 10 year old son, is always the last to finish his dinner.  He talks nonstop.  This night was different.  As soon as I set those ribs down he started munching.  No yapping.  Just silence and eating.  A first in this house.

Nom, Nom, Nom
We have a rating system in our house for dinners, 5 stars being the best.  The ribs were definitely 5 stars.
What the critics are saying:
Charlie: Nom, nom, nom.
Rachel: These are so good.
Chuck: These are seriously the best ribs I've ever eaten. Ever.

We have a winner!  These had a nice bark to them and the spicy rub penetrated all the way into the meat. These really were the best ribs I've ever had.

I think the aftermath proves how much everyone liked them.
Aftermath. There were no survivors.
You can make these on a charcoal or gas grill or an electric smoker.
Print ready recipe here for Memphis-Style Ribs.

While the ribs were on the smoker, it started raining, complete with thunder and winds.  We opened the doors and windows.  The sound of the rain and light thunder, the breeze blowing through the house, the faint smell of smoke from the ribs.....it was pretty much a perfect day.

Side dishes included barbecued baked beans and stovetop mac 'n' cheese.

The beans were easy but time-consuming.  Cook some chopped bacon and onion on the stovetop.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and put in oven to finish cooking, stirring every hour.  When the mixture gets syrupy consistency, serve.  That's it.  Delicious.  Charlie hates beans and gave it 4 stars so that's saying a lot.
Barbecued Baked Beans
Print ready recipe here for barbecued baked beans.

The mac 'n' cheese took no more time than making boxed mac 'n' cheese but this was way better. Cook the macaroni noodles, drain, then stir in butter to melt.  Pour in a mixture of evaporated milk, eggs, dry mustard, Tabasco, and cheddar cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring, until incorporated. Add a little more milk and cheddar, stir until cheese is melted, season with salt and pepper, serve.  That's it.  VERY creamy.  I'd probably add more noodles to the recipe next time.
Yummy, creamy mac 'n' cheese in very little time.
Print ready recipe here for Stovetop Macaroni 'N' Cheese.

Great dinner at a fraction of the cost of what it would cost to eat out.  Plus I had enough leftovers to make 2 lunches for Chuck.

I honestly wish you could have been here to enjoy it with me.  It was too good to keep to ourselves.  But somehow we did. :)

9 comments:

  1. I just can't resist a good creamy mac n cheese! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm Pork Mmmmmmm. I'm with Charlie nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling over here - the ribs look to die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Title. Great Pix. Ribs, I wish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love me some ribs and those look amazing...I'm a big fan of dry rub. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Ribs, for Her Pleasure"... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love Charlie's, "nom nom nom" It all looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I love you!
    So what am I so afraid of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The sound of the rain and light thunder, the breeze blowing through the house, the faint smell of smoke from the ribs.....it was pretty much a perfect day."

    Yep, now I know why I like you - that would be a perfect day in my book too! I need to get a smoker! It's going on my Christmas list! (or maybe birthday list since my birthday is in March - I'll have grilling on my brain by that time!).

    I am making a broccoli cauliflower mac n cheese for dinner tonight - nothing like good comfort food! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)