Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Taco Soup

This is such an easy recipe but it always gets rave reviews when I make it.  For little effort (and little money) it makes enough to feed my hungry family of four and still have leftover for 2-3 more people.

There's not much to the ingredients.  Ground meat, canned corn, canned cream corn, canned Rotel, canned tomatoes, canned pinto beans, canned red or kidney beans, Ranch dressing mix, and taco seasoning.
After the meat has started to brown I like to add a good dose of onion powder but you could use chopped fresh onion.  I also add some seasoned salt and pepper
The meat has browned so the next step is to simply dump everything else in the pot and simmer until hot.  That's it!  I do blend my Rotel tomatoes and the diced tomatoes in the blender because of personal tastes.
To complete the soup, add some crushed tortilla chips to a bowl, fill with soup, top with shredded cheese. You can also add a little sour cream on top but hubby like a little Ranch on his.

Taco Soup
print version here

1 pound ground beef
1 chopped onion or onion powder
1 can cream corn
1 can kernel corn
1 can red or kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 package Ranch dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla chips and shredded cheese

1. Brown ground beef and onion (or onion powder) together. Season with a little salt and pepper.

2. Add remaining ingredients except chips and cheese. Cook on medium low heat stirring occasionally until hot.

3. Place some crushed tortillas in individual bowls. Add taco soup and top with cheese. Serve.
Yields: 6 servings
-----------------------

One more day and I'm outta here for some R&R.  I am so excited. Ah, there's nothing like sitting around a campfire, breakfasts cooked by hubby, trails to hike, stars to watch, and a glass of iced tea vodka.

Right now I'm having trouble waking up and getting the errands done that are waiting for me.  Camping is fun but there is a lot of prep and planning.  Maybe a big pot of Starbuck's coffee will get me going.
Y'all have a great Labor Day Weekend.  Side note: on September 1st 21 years ago I had my first date with my future husband. :)  Happy Dating Anniversary, Chuck.

6 comments:

  1. WOW great recipes girl!!!! Looking forward to making everything... YUMMY!!! ARGGG about how yummy the buns look.. I will be making them as well. EEEK!!! Hubby will love them..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna come to your your for dinner!
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Taco Soup. I see tons of different recipes and I've never used creamed corn but it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that dog picture has me literally LOLing!

    Taco soup looks fab. Will make that soon - once it cools down. I can't do soup in hot weather.

    Have fun camping! Will send "cold front" thoughts your direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we *heart* Taco soup - and it freezes really well into individual servings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family loves anything mexican-y. I'll have to give it a try. But I guess I'll need a electric can opener. My arm is tired looking at all those cans.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)