Wednesday, October 27, 2010

20 Years Ago

Twenty years ago today I said "I do" to my best friend.  It's hard to believe it's been twenty years!

We met in a stereo shop in Beaumont, TX.   I walked in and saw him sitting on a stool (he worked there) and something strange happened.  I got butterflies in my stomach and my hands started sweating.  It was difficult for me to concentrate.  I lost it.  I couldn't even stand in the same room with him because I was so nervous.  I'd never done that before!

I left but I kept coming back for a year.  We talked a little sometimes but we were both a little nervous around each other.  Finally his boss made him ask me out.

I went to his house for a party.  After a while he got a little hungry so we went to Burger King.  We talked and talked and the time flew by.  Before we knew it, three hours had passed and it only seemed like 10 minutes.

From that moment on, we belonged to each other.  Chuck never asked me to marry him.  It was understood.  I adore that man.  We don't go a day without talking several times.  We hate to be away from each other.  And he still gives me butterflies.

He sent me a sweet email this morning:
"HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!



Twenty freakin' years! Wow. It doesn't really seem like it has been that long, and I really mean that.


Twenty years ago today I was in a panic. I will never forget that day. I don't remember parts of it because I was so nervous. Not the kind of nervous where I was thinking, "Am I sure I want to do this", but the kind of nervous where I was thinking, "Will I make a good husband?" "Will she love me forever?" "Where is my belt?"


Who would have thought twenty years ago that we would have two beautiful kids?



My life with you has been more than I ever expected. We have had good times and bad, and we have had prosperous times and not so prosperous times. But in the end it has always been you and me. And that is the way I like it.


I am looking forward to the next twenty years, my Love.


All of my LOVE, always."


Chuck surprised me with a set of pans that I've been wanting for a while. These are tri ply-clad pans (like All Clad) that America's Test Kitchen recommended as a best buy.  Tramontina 10 piece set! (available only at Wal Mart)
I didn't know Chuck was getting me such a nice gift.  I got him something that I know he wanted: Ammo Wizard.  It picks up the brass from his pistols off the ground when he shoots so he can reload.  No more bending over and picking up each one by hand.

OK.  So our gifts are not exactly romantic.  But they are both something we really wanted.  I'm thinking diamonds for our 25th. :)

We're planning a trip together to celebrate at a later date.  We're just so busy right now that we weren't able to get away.  That's ok.

Tonight Chuck is cooking Chicken Marsala in our new pans.  Can't wait!



13 comments:

  1. Ah... Happy Anniversary, Love.

    I can hardly wait to celebrate it properly.

    And I will start saving now for that 25th anniversary gift!

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, sweet post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and his. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your story Kelly!!

    Happy Anniversary to you & Chuck and here's to 20 more wonderful years!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having met you both, I can say that you two are the sweetest, most connected couple and very obviously dote on each other without it being all icky and gross. That is a compliment, btw! :)

    Happy Anniversary - great gifts...never knew there was such a thing as an ammo wizard. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Congrats Kelly! That's wonderful. And I love the "Where's my belt" comment from Chuck too!

    In the midst of my latest guy issues, I could only hope to be as lucky as you guys someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulatons - what a sweet post. May you have many more happy years together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ewww, shiny! what great gifts. You two look so happy. Happy Anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww....too precious. Happy for you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy happy happy anniversary. this post made me grin (even if I am kinda late to the soiree).

    and I LOVE that your hubby commented as well.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on 20 years and I hope you make it twice that many, as we have. I bet you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww.... what a sweetie he is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little late, I know, but HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY 20th! You guys are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)