Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Adjusting

As you could tell by my last post, I was sort of out of it.  It was a lot to take in at once.

I read my Insulin Resistance Diet book and the symptoms of insulin resistance seemed to describe me except for a couple of the symptoms.  My cholesterol is fine and there are a couple of other things that are just fine. :)

1. Fatigue.


2. Brain fogginess and inability to focus.

3. High blood sugar.

4. Intestinal bloating – most intestinal gas is produced from carbohydrates in the diet, mostly those that humans cannot digest and absorb.

5. Sleepiness, especially after meals.

6. Weight gain, fat storage, difficulty losing weight – for most people, excess weight is from high fat storage; the fat in IR is generally stored in and around abdominal organs in both males and females. It is currently suspected that hormone production in that fat are a precipitating cause of insulin resistance.

7. Increased blood triglyceride levels.

8. Increased blood pressure. Many people with hypertension are either diabetic or pre-diabetic and have elevated insulin levels due to insulin resistance. One of insulin's effects is to control arterial wall tension throughout the body.

9. Depression. Due to the deranged metabolism resulting from insulin resistance, psychological effects, including depression, are not uncommon.

10. Acanthosis nigricans.
 
The symptoms for low thyroid were also right on:
• Fatigue and weakness


• Low basal temperature ( cold intolerance)

• Dry and coarse skin

• Hair loss

• Cold hands and feet

• Weight gain

• Insomnia

• Constipation

• Depression

• Poor memory, forgetfulness, dementia

• Nervousness and tremors

• Immune system problems

• Heavy menstrual periods

The symptoms for PCOS were scary accurate:
 
Infrequent menstrual period and/or irregular bleeding


Infertility because of not ovulating

Increased growth of hair on
face/body

Acne, oily skin, or dandruff

Pelvic pain

Weight gain or obesity

Type 2 diabetes

High cholesterol

High blood pressure

Male-pattern baldness or thinning
hair

Darkened skin on neck, arms,
breasts, or thighs

Skin tags

Sleep apnea

I didn't even talk to the doctor about the skin tags I had removed!  One was so large it required a stitch or two. I have trouble with dark skin under my arms, elbows, knuckles, etc.  The pelvic pain may explain my sore hips when running. 
 
I'm glad I went in but I'm still in a sort of vapor lock about how to move forward.  I have to plan 6 meals per day!  Three of them are main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and 3 are snacks.
 
As of today I am on Vitamin D 3 times per day, iron once a day, 2 baby aspirin, and 1 thyroid med.  This Friday I add another thyroid med and the following Friday starts the fun with Metformin.
 
A typical snack for me is a boiled egg, cheese and crackers, a sugar free yogurt, a few nuts, or some beef jerky.  I have to be able to have non-perishables that I can bring with me in my purse when I leave the house.
 
I have also started walking. I'll be adding some strength training and taking things slow.
 
I really do appreciate the comments, support, and suggestions.  I still plan to make new yummy recipes but I'm trying to learn how to balance things so I link my carbs and proteins. No more than 30g of carbs per meal/snack must be linked to a minimum of 14g protein.  One carb serving is considered to be 15g and one protein serving is 7g.  Vegetables (except corn and potatoes) are unlimited.  Fresh apples, plums, pears, and a few other fruits do not count as a carb because of the type of sugar in them and the way the body reacts (according to the book).  I do not have to count the carbs in legumes or dairy either.
 
I'm more optimistic than I was over the first few days.  I'm learning that there is nothing that I have to give up but I do have to be careful of the portions.  For example, Chuck and I made super yummy tacos and refried beans while in Tyler.  I could have two tacos and some beans.  I was not deprived at all!  For breakfast I had a homemade biscuit, two eggs, and a piece of bacon.
 
Slowly coming out of vapor lock and learning how to work all of this.  I guess this means I won't be having that slice of pecan pie at Thanksgiving nor will I be raiding the kids' Halloween loot.  Probably for the best anyway. :)
 
One interesting thing that came out of this was Dr. Wheeler saying how Native Americans have problems with insulin resistance.  I told him that I had Indian blood but I didn't realize how much until discussing it with my mom.  My great grandfather was Indian and all down his line.  There are still several Indians with the last name of Parfait in Louisiana from the Chocktaw and Houma tribes.  Pretty interesting stuff!
 
I'm looking forward to getting rid of these nasty symptoms and getting back to a "normal" life.

7 comments:

  1. Normal (whatever that is) isn't all that far away. Within two weeks I bet you are back to normal.

    Then we will hit the river for a weekend trip out of the canoe!

    You're doing great. I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good researcher that I know you will have complete control over this in no time. And wouldn't it be interesting to see if the pelvic pain goes away and you are able to run without pain one of these days? That would be a nice bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Kelly! I know it's a lot of information to take in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got some answers and are able to work through it! You can do it, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one of the most determined bloggers I have ever known.... You are like my hero in a very real way.
    You will find a way to bring this all together in a meaningful, healing, and healthy way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowwee! That's a LOT, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I'm hoping and praying that the meds and new way of eating do well for you and I hope that you're feeling like your awesome self again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the shock is wearing off and you're researching stuff to see what you need to do to be healthy. It's a lot to be hit with (I know it was for me), but as I said in the previous post, it's all manageable. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)