Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Best Fried Chicken I Ever Ate

I have been promising to make fried chicken for a while (read: years) and finally decided to do it for the family yesterday.  Of course, I chose to do it on the day that I got slapped with a full range of side effects from the metformin.  I found that I can run pretty fast to the bathroom.  Enough said about that. :-/

So, the chicken starts out in a buttermilk brine.  This will keep your chicken moist inside.  It really does work so don't skip this step.

Then the bird gets rolled in some seasoned flour and set aside to rest while the oil heats.  Fry in batches with the lid covered for 10 minutes; flip and cook 7 minutes.  Done!

I made mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits and green beans.  I just had a chicken breast and some green beans since I'm watching the carbs now. It's hard to feel like you're missing out on anything when the chicken was so freakin' fantastic.  Seriously.  The best and crunchiest I've ever had.  The recipe for Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken can be found here.  And, of course, it's from America's Test Kitchens. :) 
Boneless, skinless chicken breast. Extra Crunchy.

I tossed the steamed green beans with a little of Newman's Own Light Sesame Ginger Dressing.  It really gave it a nice flavor.  The kids even ate it. *shock!*

I had grandiose plans to take the kids walking at a nearby nature park before I started dinner.  That was not an option after the metformin decided to play volleyball with my GI tract.  Oh my lord.  It didn't hurt but was not fun.  I earned some frequent flyer miles to the bathroom.  Things slowed down by the evening but I'm a little worried about today.  I have to take Charlie to his Lego Robotics meeting and I am hoping that things don't get started up again.  Always an adventure.

I weighed myself yesterday so I could start keeping track again.  I still have that pesky 10 pound gain but I'm sure I'll lose it quickly.  VERY quickly if metformin keeps playing with me.  Not a fun way to lose weight.  I know, I know.  That's all water weight.  My vain side still enjoys seeing a drop on the scale.

It's still early in the game but carb/protein combining has not been difficult at all so far.  I've been keeping the carb count within the limits (30g per meal) and still getting a bit of 70% cocoa chocolate from time to time when I need a sweet.  I have noticed that my sweets cravings have almost vanished.  I also eat much, much, smaller meals since eating every 2 hours.  There's no desire to overeat because I know I'll be eating in just a little while again. I've been told that this insulin resistance diet really does work (not just for folks who have IR but others as well) so I am very anxious to see what the scale says next week.  No calorie counting.  No carb counting except to make sure I don't go over a certain amount.  So far, so good.  Now.....if the energy will only return. :)

4 comments:

  1. Are you eating low glycemic index? That's usually what is done for insulin resistance. That's why my doc had me do to get some of my initial thyroid weight gain off. It really isn't hard once you get used to it!

    The fried chicken looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I totally forgot about the "bathroom exercise" when I started out on metformin. I remember one time going out to lunch with some co-workers and having to "excuse" myself three times. Some of the peole at the table started talking about it, and one of my closer co-workers said "give her a break, she's sick!"

    Everyone was so nice to me when I got back to the table - turns out they all thought I had cancer!

    Hang in there, your body does get used to it.

    And I have never been let down with a Test Kitchens recipe - your chicken looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the side effects go away soon - those especially are NOT FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm that chicken looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)