Wednesday, October 13, 2010

French Oven Beef Stew

Tuesday went way better than Monday.  I'm hoping it only took 1 day for me to adjust to the metformin.  The tummy threatened me a few times but everything ended well.  Yeah for small victories! :)

Breakfast: 1c. Cheerios and 1 cup milk, coffee

Snack: (I was on the road) beef jerky and some Special K herb crackers

Lunch: 1/2 a Jazz apple (the best apples ever) and leftover fried chicken piece on sugar free wheat bun with pickles, mayo and mustard.  Watch out, Chik-Fil-A.  This was incredible.

Snack: (on the road again) a few bacon cheddar crackers in the shape of mini Texas-es (what is the plural of Texas?) and string cheese

Dinner: French Oven Beef Stew and 1/2 a biscuit
Fall is in the air so beef stew is perfect.  Plus I got a huge London broil for $6.  Time to use it.
Even though the original recipe calls for cooking this in the oven, I prefer to toss everything in the crockpot.  It is so nice not having to worry about cooking in the evening.  The meat is so tender you can cut it with a spoon.  A dull spoon.

The recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks (no, it's not from America's Test Kitchens) called The Recipe Hall of Fame Cookbook.
If you want to print out the recipe and try it yourself (which I highly recommend),  click here.

Snack: 4 small sugar free chocolate mint cookies and a glass of milk.

I can see that I need some more fruit in my diet. That's one good thing about keeping a journal of your eats: you can see where you are lacking. 

It was a pretty good day except I felt like I was on the road a lot.  But that's ok.  Still very tired in the afternoons.  I took one more day off from walking because I was scared to death the tummy would plan an attack when I was away from home. The horror!  This is one of those times to play it safe. :)

7 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! It's good to hear that your body is adjusting to the meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texi? LOL

    Glad everything is going so well - I hope the Metiform adjustment was that quick, for your sake! And that chicken sammie looks delicious - you are right, Chik-fil-A should be worried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That settles it..... I want to go to your house for din-din!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep meaning to get my crockpot going, too! thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good! We don't have Chik-Fil-A's in Chicago - that sammie looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)