Monday, November 15, 2010

5K a Day #7: It's Kind of a Big Deal for Me

The morning was overcast and kind of cool.  Day 7 of the 5K challenge was waiting patiently for me to strap on my Bodybugg, Bodybugg display, and Garmin.

I walked for a while then the Garmin scared the hell out of me by ringing bells to let me know that I had reached mile 1.  Come on, Garmigon. I was in deep thought.

I decided to run that next mile without stopping.  I could immediately feel my muscles tense and thoughts started going through my mind: can I do this?  When's the last time you ran a mile?  How about a half mile and just build up to the mile later?

I took a deep breath and told myself: this is not a race.  There are no time goals.  No one is watching you.  It's just you and the track. Take your time and enjoy it.  No worries.  You can do this.

The mind games started pretty quickly. "I won't look at Garmigon until I get to the next fence."  "I won't look at Garmigon until I pass the fountain."  This went on for quite a while until I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to look.  .6 of a mile.

More mind games: You're passed the halfway mark. Only .4 to go.  .3  .2  .1  *dingle dingle ding* (Garmin signalling another mile done) DONE!

Yes, I've run a mile before.  I've run more than that.  But I had a rough summer. Hip pains. Depression.  Lack of motivation and energy.  I hurt every time I tried to run.  I seriously thought that I'd never run again.

I got some tests done and my problems were diagnosed (insulin resistance, PCOS, and a few other fun things) and I'm on the road to get those fixed.  Now I have hope that I'll be able to run some more 5Ks.  Maybe a half marathon?

I'm not going to get all Pollyanna on you.  It did have a degree of suckiness.  I had trouble breathing and was almost down to a walking pace at the end.  But I did it. Go me!  1 mile in the super sonic speed of 13:42.
And just to prove that I'm still somewhat of a running bad a$$, check this out: I started taking Glucophage instead of metformin yesterday.  I woke up with an upset stomach and a monthly visitor.  Still, I made a commitment to myself so I put on my big girl panties (quite literally) and got outside.  After I was finished with my 3 miles I had more stomach issues (it's been a rough day) but I did fine while walking/running.  I was so afraid that something like this would happen to me. But I made it!

To reward myself for a week of 5Ks (23 days to go) I got two new pairs of running socks.  Aren't they cute?

Hope you had a wonderful Monday.  Take it one step at a time.

5 comments:

  1. It's a HUGE deal!! Great job, Kelly! So proud of you!

    Lovin' those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your reward - love the colors on those socks! Great job doing the 5Ks for a week straight, and you are doing awesome with the running - you will get faster eventually, but what's the rush? For now, just the fact that you're out there is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Kelly! I'm glad you're back at it. And the socks are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Kelly! ITA with Shelley - speed just doesn't matter right now, just keep those legs moving.

    Did you know you can make a custom page on your Garmin that would hide the distance? I have one set up so that if I'm struggling with pace, I choose that page and run by time. I can't see my distance until the run is done and I've saved it. Yes, the Garmin still beeps the miles but I can't look down and see how much longer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)