Thursday, November 11, 2010

5K A Day: Day 2

It's kind of like taking a vitamin: Try new Once a Day 5K for all your health needs. Most people suffer from low 5K and don't even know it. Some have 0 5K! *gasp*

Wednesday was one of the busiest days I've had in a long time.  Left the house around 10:45 and didn't get back home until 9pm.

Rachel had Biology class 45 minutes away but first we had to stop and get some lab supplies.  We fixed ourselves a quick lunch at Kroger. I'm trying to watch my carbs so I grabbed a bag of Hot n Spicy pork rinds.  Don't knock it.  They're low in calories and high in protein.  I like them anyway.  Also got some boneless wings for 25 cents each!

Normally I would not be buying lunch at this early hour but Rachel had to get there early to work on decorations for their dance Thursday night. Then her biology lab lasts until 3.  No other time for lunch.

Charlie and I used the time to get some miles walked and pick up a few geocaches.  I love going for walks where we have fun.  It doesn't seem like a chore at all.

Charlie was finding caches all over the place.  There is a free app for the Droid called c:geo that is excellent for finding caches. Just get a free account at first so you can log your finds.

Charlie and one of the geocaches.
My friend at My Bizzy Kitchen mentioned blood sugar dropping when you walk.  Since blood sugar is one of my concerns I grabbed a snack that nature provided along our trail. mmmmm. Sweet pecans right off the ground. Did you know the pecan tree is the state tree of Texas?  Did you know that pecan trees do terrible in hurricanes? Speaking from experience.
Protein packed and free.
We walked and walked and occasionally we would race to a bridge or a bench.  He won every time. :)  After 3 miles we got a drink then Charlie wanted to play on some playground equipment.  While he did that I walked on the circular sidewalk path until I reached 4 miles. Woohoo!
Garmigon was very impressed.
Literally as soon as I finished it started raining.

The Swirll frozen yogurt tallies so far:
Chuck: 0 miles (he goes to work when it's dark and gets home when it's dark)
Kelly: 7 miles (only 3 miles to go)
Rachel: 2 miles (poor kid has been so busy)
Charlie: 5 miles (halfway there!)

After we all walk/run 10 miles and earn our Swirll, the kids want a half marathon challenge.  They don't have to do it all at once.  Once they reach 13.1 miles they'll get a medal.  Pretty cool!  I love doing this.  It's great to see the family active.  And the half marathon was their idea.

Back to my story.  I picked Rachel up at 3 and raced home to get their art supplies and head to art class.  That lasted an hour.  Then it started to pour outside.  Did you know that everyone in Houston gets in their cars when it rains, gets on the road, then forgets how to drive?  It's true.  All of a sudden the roads were packed and no one remembered how to drive.  I think a few of them actually tried to get into a wreck with me. 

I had to stop by Kroger so we could all make up our own salad for dinner.  There was no way I'd have time to cook because I had to go home, pick up Chuck, then quickly drive Rachel to the dance hall 45 minutes away so she could help hang decorations for the dance.

We get our salads made. I went to the self checkout because all of the other lines were so long.  Then something went terribly wrong. The machine freaked out and tried to process my debit card several times then it wouldn't work at all.  I took my salads, waited in line for a cashier and by that time the bank had shut down my card because of the suspicious activity.  I just needed $11.88.  That's it.  I had to leave my salads and go home.  My stress level is pretty high at this point.

I tried to call the bank but they were already closed.  No money for me.

Grab Chuck and we get Rachel to her dance location by 7pm.  Chuck's card works just fine so we grab some unhealthy food, pick Rachel up, dodge a few more drivers with death wishes and go home. 

By the time we got home I was deliriously tired.  I tried typing an email to Shelley.  I hope it made sense because my brain had shut down at that point.

Last night I did fall into a nice coma though. :)

This morning I tried to call the bank so I could have my card released from the hold.  It's Veteran's Day.  They're not open. LOL!!  Oh well.

Thanks to all of the men and women who have served (or are serving) to keep our country safe and free.  Happy Veterans Day.

Hope you have a wonderful low stress day.


  1. I've typed many a vexed email - and blog that made no sense cuz I was loopy tired!

  2. I'm impressed with the 5k a day idea. Good for you!

  3. Kelly - great idea! And great to get the family involved!

  4. LOL, my tired brain understood your email perfectly!

    NICE WORK on the 5K (plus!) - and I love that the kids are so into it (and the medals, lol). Hope you all get your Swirll on soon. :)

  5. I hope you have a low stress day and I certainly plan on it. It is wash day and pick up Rx day. Otherwise I hope to stay home.

    Have been neglecting reading and blogging due to heart problems, but at least temporarily am slowing getting back in the routine.


I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)