Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Three Weeks Down!

5K #21 was completed yesterday.  I can't believe it.  I must admit that I am kind of ready for this to be over.  I get bored with the same routine day in and day out.  I like to mix things up with some paddling, swimming, dancing (though I have the rhythm of Steve Martin in the Jerk), perhaps some spinning and/or Zumba.

I do think this self challenge of completing 30 days of 5Ks was one of the best things I could have done for myself.  It has helped me develop some endurance and the exercise habit.  Both were areas that I was sadly lacking after this summer.

Now check out the mileage:
Don't adjust your monitor.  It really is that blurry.
5.13 miles.   Hold the applause. It gets better: it started raining on me at mile .85.  Exercising in the rain makes me feel like such a bad ass.  It's true.  Here is the only other known time that I have exercised in the rain but it still makes me stick my chest out in pride.

I had quite an eclectic playlist on the mp3 jamming:
Apache (Jump on it) by Sugarhill Gang (Will Smith cracked me up dancing to this)
Bust a Move
Come Dancing by the Kinks (such a happy tune)
Dancing Queen from Mamma Mia (made me feel like skipping. How awesome would it have been if I actually skipped in the rain while listening to this?)
Get Ready for This
Gimme!Gimme!Gimme! from Mamma Mia
Iko Iko from Rain Man
Intuition by Jewel
Jump in the Line by Harry Belafonte (Remember that scene from Beetlejuice?)
Kernkraft 400
Lay all Your Love on Me from Mamma Mia
Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet (puts me in my summer happy place)
Money, Money, Money from Mamma Mia
Naughty Girl by Beyonce (oh my!)
Pa' La Discoteka a Bailar (great Zumba song)
Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads (such an appropriate song for someone walking in circles in a neighborhood in the rain)
Samba Groove  (another Zumba song)
South Side by Moby
Stayin' Alive by the BeeGees (got my John Travolta strut going on)
Superstition by Stevie Wonder
Voulez-vous from Mamma Mia

It was nice to get the miles in but even better to have fun while doing it.  It's amazing what the right music can do for an otherwise boring routine.  Add in some rain and it's a party!

For dinner I made a tasty taco salad: taco meat, a couple of crushed taco shells, rinsed canned pinto beans, lettuce, salsa, cheese and light Ranch dressing.  So yum and not too bad on calories or carbs.

Hope your day is wonderful.

6 comments:

  1. Stayin' Alive - I will never hear that song without thinking of the last few minutes of my half! Fun song list - I bought myself a new iTunes card the other day because I'm constantly changing mine; it really helps to keep me bouncing along as I run.

    Your blurry picture made me laugh because almost all of my Garmin shots are blurry - I don't know how everyone gets theirs in focus so often. NICE JOB running in the rain! (Says the one who chickened out from a rain run yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think this has been a great challenge for you - just think of how you've had to discipline yourself to get it done!

    I don't mind the rain, as long as it's not a cold, windy, blowing rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *clapping and clapping* Way to go, Kelly! I think running in the rain deserves a full out round of applause :)

    Maybe I need a 30 day challenge to get me going :(

    Thanks for the nice comment you left regarding my mom. She is doing better, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! 5.13 miles? That's so awesome! I abandoned my 30 day 5K. You are definitely more motivated than me. Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your songs are top-notch awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling -- doing the same thing every day for 30 days really teaches you how very, very, very damn it long 30 days can.
    All the same, your 30-day challenge is going to leave you looking pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)