Wednesday, December 1, 2010

5k #22: In the Buff

Tuesday morning was chilly with a very strong wind blowing.  The wind was actually howling outside.

I have a problem with cold air blowing in my ears: gives me super headaches from hell. I have to protect my ears.

Earlier this year I bought a Buff that I sort of forgot I had until a couple of days ago.  Today I used it as a headband and stretched the excess over my ears for protection. Worked great as an ear protector and a sweatband.

Buffs have no seam so they won't rub on you. The ends don't fray and they can be used in a variety of ways then just toss them in the washing machine.  They're made of a wicking material so they breathe well when you wear them.

I'm quickly becoming a big fan of this thing.  I got mine at REI but I saw them at Academy in the men's section last week.

They're also very versatile. Here's a video.


All dressed up with warm clothes head to toe I headed out the door.  If I would have been wearing looser clothing I'm pretty sure I would have sailed away.  A few times I had to actually lean into the wind.  Glad I'm not training for a specific time goal. Yikes.

At mile 1.12 I became very nauseous.  It was terrible.  I finished out my walk but I wasn't feeling the walking love.

That makes 71.88 miles in 22 days.

Even though the nausea was still a problem I was starving.  I loaded my plate with turkey and just a little broccoli rice and sweet potatoes.  The protein helped fill me up. Whew. That was a close one.

I remained sickish the rest of the day so Chuck picked up Freebird's for dinner.  I love this place.  I used to always get the burrito but since I am watching my carbs I got the salad.  It was just as awesome as the burrito. Nom nom.

By the time I went to bed the stomach was finally settling down.  I wonder what happened out there?

I read from Marathoning for Mortals.  I think at this point in my health I'll be using the walk/run plan for a half marathon.  It's mostly walking with some running tossed in (3:2 ratio).  I can eventually move up to the run/walk plan.  I'm really enjoying this book.  It is very motivating and gives great advice.  I'm lovin' it.

I have to remember that the goal is to finish.  The only person I'm competing against is myself.  I don't have to be the fastest; I just have to finish with a smile on my face and get that medal.  Because, obviously, it's all about the medal. :)

8 more 5ks and I'm finished with my challenge.  The countdown has begun.

6 comments:

  1. Buff... oh, THaT buff!
    I've got a fire in the fireplace at my blog...
    come on over for some mocha and carols!
    (sugar-free, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the Buff! I'm having a heck of a time finding headbands that will stay where they're supposed to be :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a Bondi band set aside for the next time I have to run in the cold - hope it will work like your buff to cover my ears, otherwise, I'll be shopping (you know I hate that, lol).

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing a walk/run combo for a half. Thirteen miles is a long way to travel even if you walked the entire way! And of course you are right, it's all about the medal. You need one of your very own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The buff sounds like a great idea- I'm going to look that up. You are so close to finishing your 5k goal! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing so great girl...I know you're going to LOVE that medal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 5k every day for 30 days has inspired me - I don't take advantage of free classes at my gym, so I am pledging the month of December I will do a minimum of 10.

    I expect you to hold me accountable!

    Hopefully your tummy is better!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)