Friday, December 10, 2010

Feed Me, Seymour

Thursday was my first day of not walking a 5K in a month.  It felt kind of weird to have a rest day.  I felt like I should go for a walk. Yeah, for good habits forming!

Instead I forced Rachel to do Turbo Jam for 20 minutes with me.  I only burned 200 calories according to my trusty Bodybugg but I felt better for doing something to schvitz. (my new word thanks to MizFit)

The rest of the day my body tried to give me some sort of sob story about how it had been working hard and it was hungry.  When I ignored it the whining started (not unlike a child):

"I want something to eat."
"I'm going to give you a headache if you don't eat a piece of candy."

Then it really started to have a tantrum with the stomach growling louder and louder.  This is after I fed it a huge salad with grilled chicken, feta, egg whites, nuts and dried fruits.

Eventually I got tired of it nagging so I gave it some popcorn while I was watching a movie.  I had actually planned to do this so it's not like I was giving in to its nagging.

So tummy has the popcorn and is complaining again within a few minutes about how it is starving and I never feed it but all the other tummies in the house get to eat what they want. To add insult to injury, every food commercial was airing last night.  Tummy was not amused.

Finally, like a child who's cranky because he's tired but just doesn't know it, I put the whining tummy to bed.
Oddly enough, this morning it is just fine and not complaining at all.  I'm glad I didn't give in to its tantrums.  I would have only felt guilty about it today.

*File under "how to handle tummy tantrums"*

7 comments:

  1. That's the thing about unruly tummies: give 'em an inch (or a morsel) and they'll demand a mile. Whip them into submission and they'll (eventually) quiet down and act right. Good for you for showing that cranky critter who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to reach for some chocolate at work when I sat back down all because I just read your post! Great Kelly! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a great writer, Kelly! Love that you showed that unruly tummy who was the boss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny - my tummy was doing the same thing last night and I tried to satisfy it with the same thing... popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! My tummy throws the same tamtrum from time to time! Way to go on ignoring it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good to take a break....every now and then....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)