Monday, December 13, 2010

First Day Strength Training

I just finished my first day of strength training that included: weights, interval training for cardio, core strengthening, and stretching. 

My muscles are literally quivering and I feel like I am going to throw up.  I had no idea I was that weak.  Brings to mind Day 1 at Biggest Loser when all of the contestants are throwing up and having trouble moving.  Perhaps I am being a little overdramatic. :P

Exercising was not pretty today.  And I am pretty sure that I won't be able to walk tomorrow.

What program did I use? It's called Fit Moms For Life.  It's by a personal trainer in Wisconsin named Dustin Maher.  You get 1 new DVD per month for 12 months that includes new exercises and continues to build on what you have already done. Also includes an interview with a new mom each month who has lost weight, nutrition tips, and the exercises.  I think I'm paying $34 per month for it.  Maybe $39.  Cheaper than the personal trainers I checked in my area.

The only equipment you need are some dumbbells of various weights and a stability ball.  The exercises were pretty tough for me.

One thing that I really appreciate is Dustin expects the ladies (and gentlemen) to use heavier and heavier weights as they get stronger.  A lot of exercise DVDs are happy to keep you at 5# weights.  Don't worry: you won't bulk up using heavier weight.

I'm supposed to start training for my half marathon tomorrow. I'm hoping my legs will still work in the morning.

The hardest part about any exercise routine is starting.  At least it is for me.  I have expectations about what I should be able to do then when I try to do it I am shocked that I am not a superstar right out of the gate.  Running, strength training, cycling.  They all require small steps to build up to superstar status.

I'm sure I'll be the same with my bike when I get it.  When I put it on layaway I was talking to Chuck about riding in the MS 150! LOL  I may be able to ride 4 miles when it gets home.

Small steps.  I'll get stronger with weights over time.
I love what John "The Penguin" Bingham says:
"The miracle isn't that I finished.  The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

7 comments:

  1. Dang Kelly, that workout sounds intense!!! And I completely agree with you - it's the starting that is the hardest part. Nice work there, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fierce! I SO need to start strength training and toning up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, with me and strength training, it's the courage to keep starting over and over that I need. I just don't like it. Never have. It's one of the reasons I took up Muay Thai - I needed to do something other than running! If you can do this girl, I give you all the credit in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you still got the Rock Star quality for sure!
    All that throwing up.... must be something good!
    *that just doesn't sound right - sorry!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Good for you! I started strength training on a regular basis a few months ago because of a running injury and it's changed my life!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)