Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Shopping Loot & Some Concerns

Rachel wanted to meet up with some teen friends to see Tron yesterday so I drove an hour to the theater and dropped her off.  Instead of driving all the way back home, Charlie and I decided to browse some stores which can be dangerous at Christmas time.  Someone almost ran over us when we tried to walk to a store.  Yield to pedestrians?

I had a coupon for World Market.  I could go crazy in here.  So many cool finds.  But here's what I left with:
Tastes like tea! Only 12 calories each and 3 carbs.

For flavoring coffees or whatever else needs some flava flav.
 Got an ornament for each person in the family...
I don't know why Charlie chose the burger.  He always ALWAYS orders chicken when we go out to eat.

Rachel loves anything about Egypt.  I wish I had the funds to take her there.


Chuck loves his popcorn.  I looked for an ice cream ornament because that's really his weakness.

A chicken in a canoe?!!  I LOVE chickens and paddling.  They only had one of these and I'm pretty sure it was made just for me.
I had over 100 chickens as pets when I was a kid.  I also had each one named and gave them parties and set up a Christmas tree for them in the chicken yard.  Under the tree I would put bags of bread and other goodies as gifts then let them out of the henhouse on Christmas morning to see what Santa had brought them.  I wish I could have a chicken as a pet now.  Ah, memories.  LOL  Weird memories but it was a fun time for me. 

Don't get around my mom: she has embarrassed me in front of more than one boyfriend when I was a teen telling them about my chicken stories.  She loves to tell those stories.  She has one about a chicken tea party that makes me cringe.
---------------
Eats:  Stayed at 1200 calories and made an awesome taco salad for dinner.  I wish I would have taken a picture.  Taco meat, lots of lettuce, cilantro, salsa, cheese, beans, and a little light Ranch.
----------
Concerns/worries:  I'm going to my parents' house for Christmas dinner and we'll be spending the night there.  I'm concerned about what will be available to eat.  My mom has a history of making fattening things for the holidays.  I remember Christmas dinners with chicken fried steak, fried shrimp and oysters, cornbread dressing, mac n cheese, mashed taters, and the list goes on and on and on.  It's a huge spread.

I was talking to her on the phone asking about what I should bring.  She wants me to bring a cheesecake that I make that is an edible work of art.  It is as delicious as it is beautiful.  It is also high in calories.  I told her that I was afraid she would wreck her dieting efforts (she is borderline diabetic and has to lose this weight NOW) so I'd rather not bring it.  I know she would have way more than she should.  I hate to police my own mom but I'm so worried about her health.

I asked about some of the things she is serving: ham, baked chicken, cornbread dressing, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.  Then she tells me her special way of making sweet potatoes.  You're not going to believe this.  Instead of topping them with nuts or marshmallows, she puts an entire pecan pie on top of them. *gasp!*  Holy mother of all calories, batman!

My strategy is to bring a low cal dessert or two to share and some snacks so I can navigate the calorie hurdles.  I've worked too hard to lose this weight to have any of it put back on because of one dinner.  Not going to do it.
----------
Clothing problems: I have maybe 3 shirts that fit now and 1 pair of jeans.  Everything is huge.  I'm thinking of hitting up the Goodwill store to get something to wear as I shrink.  Don't want to spend too much money on things that won't fit in a few weeks.
-------------------
Temperature outside yesterday:
----------------

Exercise for today: strength training.

11 comments:

  1. Hold on, now... I don't know why I didn't think of this before.
    Go ahead and make the cheesecake. I will sacrifice myself for the good of the matriarchs of the family and eat all but two pieces.

    It's okay. I don't mind.

    Seriously, though... you are both doing quite well. I don't think you should bring the cheesecake. It would be better for her to fuss about it and not have it then to have it and then fuss about it later.

    Keep up the hard work! You look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a WHOLE PECAN PIE??!! I can't even imagine what a bite of that would cost me, calorie-wise. =)

    At this point, I'm sure you know how to manage the Christmas temptations. You look incredible! Loved your pictures!

    Merry Christmas!

    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - the pecan pie as sweet potato topping literally had me gasping out loud!!! That is just crazy - NO ONE needs to eat like that, Christmas or not. Good luck muddling your way through that meal - but at least it's only one day. Wow, though!

    The chicken in a canoe ornament is absolutely perfect for you - how awesome that you found it! :)

    Very exciting that your clothes are too big - that is a great feeling! Go check out TJ Maxx - they have great deals on their clearance racks. You deserve to have some pretty clothes that fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely buy yourself a couple of outfits that fit. I bet you could find some really great bargains at TJ Maxx or Marshall's!

    Pie on top of sweet potatoes? That's not a vegetable, that's a dessert! Why would you even need to follow that up with a cheesecake?

    You deserve to be kind to yourself. You can't control your mom but you can make your own choices. I think you're definitely headed in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable chicken ornament! Bick is a big fan of chickens as pets. We have friends with pet chickens and when we go to visit, he picks one up and carries it around the whole time we are there!

    Do what you can to get a few pieces that fit - it will make your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! That's where my 80 degree temp is!!!! Give it back!!!!!!!!! lol

    Haha on the sweet potato thing! Wow! A pecan pie on top?? lol

    Great job Kelly, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous of that warm weather!! We have a big snow storm coming tomorrow night.

    I'm having a hard time finding things in my closet that fit right too- SIGH. I don't want to buy TOO much more stuff because it won't fit next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use that sugar free syrup all the time. My favorite is in oatmeal!:)

    Great job going against the man, oh, I mean the mother.;) It's hard to say "no" to moms...


    I LOVE the Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!! an entire pie!! I am thinking sugar comma for sure!

    I want that chicken/canoe ornament. I will check out my local World market and see if they have one!!

    I love the SF syrup's, :)
    great in coffee

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, pecan pie sweet potatoes?? Nope, don't think there are many calories in that dish!

    Merry Christmas Kelly to you and your family - enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll be okay. Even if you have a day or two where you eat stuff you normally wouldn't, you will be back to your own routine.

    Just enjoy :D

    I adore World Market. There is not one where we moved to and I miss it...

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)