Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bless Your Heart

We don't usually think about our hearts.  They do their job without us having to will them to beat.  The heart lets us know it's working when we're running or exerting ourselves.  Or when our significant other jumps out and scares us half to death (I'm talking to you, Chuck).

But our hearts are definitely on our minds when something goes wrong.  No one wants that to happen.

I had my own scare once when my heart kept skipping beats over and over (or at least that's how it felt) and I had to go to the emergency room.  They ran all kinds of fun tests and concluded that it was stress. 

A few months ago I had to visit a cardiologist when I was having chest pains and tightness in my chest.  It turns out that I couldn't take the medicine metformin for my insulin resistance. Whew!

Lori at Finding Radiance has set up a Blogger's Heart Healthy Weekend for February 11th, 12th and 13th to celebrate our healthy hearts.  You choose your day.  You can bike it, walk it, run it, treadmill it, elliptical it...whatever you want and for whatever distance you choose.  Just get moving and bless your heart.

I have committed to do a duathlon at home: 2 miles run/8 miles bike/2 miles run.   What about you?!  Sign up today and let's have a fun weekend together.

----------------------------
Yesterday I took a rest day from exercise.  But I was active all day running errands, grocery shopping, signing Rachel up for a cake decorating class, cooking dinner, etc.  Still burned 2213 calories!

My mom called me.  She's been working on our family tree and finding some interesting stuff like we're related to some dude that had Whitmore Castle (I forgot his name) and we're relatives of King Edward I of England.  Cool!  So I'm the queen around these parts now. "Let me eat cake!" or something like that.

Dinner was Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis from Cooking Light's February issue.  Every one loved these.  I don't really like meat loaf but even I thought they were great.  Recipe can be found here.
Cheesy Meat Loaf Mini, pear with cinnamon, salad
 Suzi's challenge this week is to eat 5 fruits and veggies.  So far so good. I needed that daily reminder to eat those fruits and veggies.  It makes me more mindful of my meals.  Thanks, Suzi, for the challenges.

I started today with protein pancakes, 2 Tbs maple syrup, and a pink orange. Tasty and filling.  I like having the syrup on the side so I can just tear the pancakes and dip them.  I find that I use less syrup that way.
Have a wonderful day.  I'll see you tomorrow. :)

12 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kelly, for mention the Bless Your Heart challenge. I had already signed up for it but think it is something wonderful we can do for ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also signed up for the Bless your Heart challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. The bless your heart challenge. I am going to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way with syrup! A dab at a time tastes so much better than soaking pancakes with it. Too funny.

    Alright, your majesty, have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be working the 11th and 12th and then swimming at a masters swim meet the 13th doing 100 IM 50 butterfly and 200 free on the 13th hopefully if I can get the guts to sign up... so far I have competed in several sports but not my specialty. Other wise the dualathon sounds awesome.

    I use a sprinkle of powdered sugar and no syrup no butter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many people seem to make protein pancakes - I've got to try them! And the mini-meatloafs, they look awesome. Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, how about this Kelly? My people fled from your people! Yep, it's true. I am a direct descendant of Captain John Smith (of Mayflower fame). If I ever get to Texas to visit, you better not try bossing me around because I will revolt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very concerned about my heart, hence my happy dance when my lipids were pretty damn good in my December lbas. I expect them to be better in March. :)

    I have been obese and was sedentary for sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long, that I assume my heart was shrouded in layers and layers of adipose tissue. Gross.

    But now, I'm tending to it. Moving. Eating well. Trying to give my heart a better chance at living along with me in peace. :)

    Happy hearts to all!!!

    And cheesy meatloaf sounds numy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, your majesty. ;)
    I'm signed up for the Heart challenge- I'm going to run a 5k.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My my, such fancy high-falutin' relations! Should I curtsy? ;)

    Thanks for the reminder about the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly, I just got an email from the publisher that our Rocco DiSpirito cookbooks are being shipped out on Monday - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the challenge of eating 5 fruits and veggies...I'm pretty sure I can't do it, though, I never think to reach for the good stuff.
    Hey, very interesting and freaky about your heart scare. I'm a nursing student, and it's interesting to read that metformin had that side effect on you.
    Hope you're all better and no more scares for you.
    And seriously girl! You burned over 2000 calories in one day! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)