Monday, January 17, 2011

Chocolate Meat Chunks: FAIL

It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Add a scoop of chocolate protein powder to my oatmeal before cooking it.  What happened was a total failure.

The protein congealed into chunks that had the texture of meat but the flavor of chocolate.  It was like eating chocolate meat chunks in my oatmeal.  I tried choking it back with water.  But choking is what I did.  I was coughing and trying to keep it down while trying not to think of chocolate meat.

I just wanted a little protein with my oatmeal, dang it.  Is there a better way to do this?  Maybe add the protein powder after the oatmeal cooks?  Maybe forget adding the powder completely and just drink it as a shake?

I think it could work as a diet plan because I had no desire to eat any food whatsoever.  Watch out, Weight Watchers. I'm going to put your ass out of business with my choco-meat chunk diet.


Yesterday I was a bit ticked off about my weigh in despite the fact that I knew I did everything right and that the slight weight gain was due to my mad weight lifting skillz.  Still, I chose to eat some not-so-good things.  Mistake.  It only made me feel disappointed so I'm back at being the saintly calorie counter today.

Last night I made up a couple of meals so I wouldn't have to cook for a couple of nights this week.  I want to start eating cleaner and cutting out some of the foods that have bar codes or are produced in a chemical plant.  I know it's the right way to eat but it's not always the most convenient.

Clean Eating magazine (January 2011 issue) had a recipe for Thai Chili that looked good so I whipped up a batch of that.  It tastes even better than I expected and it smelled divine. 2 1/2 cups for 341 calories; 17g protein; 68 carbs; 17g fiber; 5g fat
Sorry for the pic quality. It's a cell phone.
 The recipe is meatless and includes red curry paste, sweet potato, bell pepper, coconut milk and bulgur.  Very tasty.

I also made up a batch of Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup from America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. This is a fantastic cookbook.  Chicken noodle soup is usually kind of bland to me but the flavor in this soup was incredibly good.  Seriously. I wish I could share a bowl with you.  1 1/2 cups for 140 calories; 5g fat; 11g carbs; 2g fiber; 13g protein.
Chicken, carrots, celery, onion powder (cuz I don't like onion chunks), and swiss chard.
I'll go ahead and share that soup recipe with you because it's so tasty, easy and low calorie that I think you should make it. I'm so pushy like that. :)

Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

2 tbs. oil (I used a little less)
8 oz. Swiss chard, stems and leaves separated, stems chopped fine and leave cut into 1" pieces
1 onion, halved and sliced thin (I used onion powder)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 celery rib, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 tsp minced thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
1 bay leaf
2 Tbs. flour
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2), trimmed
1 cup wide egg noodles
salt & pepper

1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add chard stems, onions, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf and cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute.

2. Slowly whisk in the broth until smooth and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken, and cook until the chicken register 160-165 on an instant read thermometer, 10-15 minutes.  Remove chicken from the broth; when cool enough to handle, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. (I just chopped the raw chicken into pieces and cooked it in the broth so I wouldn't have to shred it later. Worked fine)

3. Discard bay leaf.  Add the egg noodles and continue to simmer until the vegetables and noodles are tender, about 7 minutes.  Stir in the shredded chicken and chard leaves and cook until the chard leaves are tender, about 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
1.5 cups: 140 calories; 5g fat; 11g carbs; 2g fiber; 13g protein; loads of flavor

If you are interested in eating cleaner, Clean Eating magazine has wonderful recipes that include the nutritional value.  One thing that I love about their recipes is that the portion sizes are large.  Sometimes low-cal recipes have such ridiculously small portions that they leave you hungry.  Not these.

The best price I've found for a subscription is at Best Deals Magazines for $12.95.  That's where I got my subscription anyway.

Have a wonderful day.  Mine will be spent exercising. :)

13 comments:

  1. The chili is ALL THAT. It's light and doesn't leave me with that "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" feeling.

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you win for grossest blog title ever, lol! I'm no help when it comes to protein in cooked cereal because I don't like oatmeal, grits, etc. Wonder if Lori has a suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, even though it has meat (thankfully not chocolate chunk ones!), you should try Tami at Nutmeg Notebook's Brazillian Ham and Black Bean Soup. It is chock full of veggies and the taste is sort of smoky sweet. It's so YUMMY.

    I know there's a blogger out there who puts protein powder in their oatmeal but I can't think of who right this minute.

    Or, tune in tomorrow and I'm going to show you how I get protein in my oatmeal ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Swiss chard, though I didn't have it until I was FIFTY. hahah I like the look of that soup. Num.

    Weight lifting is good for ya, if not always good for the scale. Keep building those muscles!!!

    As far as protein--when I used to have oatmeal and protein, I'd just drink it. I hate protein IN my oatmeal. Never ever tolerated any protein oatmeal. Yeah, I could force it, but love it? No.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the chili recipe in the Clean Eating Magazine, and thought it looked good. Glad to know it is.. so I'm going to have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Ewww gross! I can't help you with the protein powder either cuz I don't use it. I would think drinking it has got to be better though!

    Not gross- that soup! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stir the protein powder in AFTER the oats are done. Funny, I just had a bowl of oats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really depends on they type of protein powder you are using. If I have soy powder, it can go right in at the beginning of cooking. If you have whey powder, stir it in after cooking or it will coagulate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All that sounds so good. Except the chocolate meat. Have you ever tried some of the unflavored Unjury protein? I haven't tried it but they say you can mix it in anything and there is no lumping or protein taste at all. There are other brands of unflavored out there too. It might be worth looking into. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My stomach turned when I saw the title to this. YUCK!

    I feel ya on the eating clean thing. We're trying to do the same. clean and mostly vegetarian eating.

    P.S. We're moving to TX on March 1!! We'll have to meet in the middle for a chat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When the oats are just about ready put an egg white in and really stir it. You don't see it but it makes it light and fluffy and in my opinion more filling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly, those chocolate meat chunks don't sound appealing at all. The soup however, does. I've never tried Swiss Chard, maybe it's about time I do. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now we know another thing what NOT to do with either!
    I have a protein that you can cook with...
    But the oatmeal.... not so much right now!
    :(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)