Monday, January 24, 2011

Doing Things I Don't Think I Can Do

I love watching Biggest Loser.  The transformations that take place both physically and emotionally are inspiring.

I'm not a fan of the game play.  I want every one to win (though there have been a couple of people on there that I did not want to win. They were so mean and hateful!).  I have also never been a big fan of how hard they seem to push people to their limits physically and emotionally.  It just seemed like overkill to me.

I think I may have a better grasp on why they push the folks so hard.  The people on that show arrive with very little opinions of themselves.  Most of them do not like themselves and don't think they can accomplish anything.  The trainers have to be able to push them so that they can see that they can do anything if they try hard enough.  Even lose weight.  Even run a marathon.  Not one of those people that shows up on day 1 believes in him/herself.  By the end of the season, they know they can do anything if they try hard enough.

It's been a lesson for me as well. It wasn't long ago that walking around the block was difficult for me.  I remember going to a state park with the family and starting a trail.  I made it less than 1/4th of a mile before I had to turn back.  I felt like such a failure every day.  I was holding my family back from having fun (or so I thought).   I didn't believe in myself.

I watched an episode of Biggest Loser online and saw these people who weighed more than me doing things that I never thought I could do.  And it lit that magical spark.

I started slow. I remember thinking that I would just use the Hungry Girl Cookbook for all of my recipes (they were low cal, right?) and start walking and eventually try to run.

The first time I ran I made it all of 10 seconds.  That left me huffing and puffing and I thought I was going to die.  Sport bra?  What's that?  Running shoes?  I don't need those because I'm not a runner.  Yeah, I had a lot to learn.  Still do,actually.

This year I want to continue that theme of doing things that I don't think I can do.  In other words, pushing myself beyond my comfort zone.  Seeking adventure!  Having fun.  Living life to the fullest!  Not letting anything hold me back.  Not even myself.

So far that will include (but is not limited to):
  • joining the Galloway running team
  • training for a half marathon
  • running that half marathon
  • canoeing down a river and sleeping on a sandbar
  • running the Chupacabra 10K trail run at night then camping out with other crazy runners
  • completing a duathlon in Galveston
  • doing a 10K relay at Blue Bell with friends (I won't say who since she hasn't mentioned it publicly yet)
  • zip lines (I'm terrified of heights)
  • an adventure run with obstacles and mud
  • more 5ks
  • San Antonio Rock n Roll half marathon
Yes, I am afraid to tackle most of those things.  I try not to think about it too much.  Like Nike says, "Just Do It!"  So what if I fail?  Is it the end of the world?  No.  At least I've tried and I can always improve and come back to do it again.

Are there things that you don't think you can do but probably can with some hard work?  What would you like to do?  Then make a plan and do it!  Life is way too short to wait to do the things you want to do.

---------------------------------
Speaking of doing things I didn't think I could do, yesterday I ran 6 miles.  I didn't run the entire time since I'm using intervals but I still proudly say that I ran it.

Chuck told me something a few weeks ago that kind of stuck in my head: "Stop looking at the floor when you tell people that you run.  You are a runner."  I always feel like I need to explain that I don't really run because I walk intervals.  That's just not true. I am a runner.  It's taken a while to get that in my head.

Yesterday I did 30 seconds running/45 seconds walking.  It felt fantastic.  I still had a little ouchy in my hip but my legs felt so good.  Chuck accompanied me for 3 miles then I continued on the last 3 miles.  At mile 5.5 I was ready to stop.  No mp3 and I was starting to get bored.  Plus it seemed every one was in their driveways doing nothing.  I hate hate hate to be watched when I run.  It's a mental thing.  And why don't they say hi when I say hi? Hmmm?

Trying out different fuels on the longer runs and bike rides.  Sunday I used Nathan electrolyte tabs in my water and a Honey Stinger gel.  The elecrolyte tabs are 0 calories but taste like alka seltzer. Gross.  But they didn't upset my tummy at all.  The Honey Stinger tasted just like honey (imagine that!) and also did fine on the tummy. 

It was one of those great runs. Know what I mean?  I felt so good afterwards.  A little stiff but I really felt like a runner.  The sense of accomplishment can't be beat.  I never thought I could actually run 6 miles.  Next week: 7 miles. Eek!

Last night I ended the day by doing strength training for the upper body using Oxygen mag's January routine of "Your Best Body."

Total calorie burn for Sunday: 2954.  Awesome!

Check out my fuel loot from Academy:
The best flavored Gu, Honey stingers chews, and sport beans.  Sport beans are on sale for .49 each right now!

Ear buds.  Hope these will actually stay on. $10

Jump rope.  I don't think I'm getting enough cardio. joking.  I think it will be fun to try to jump rope again.  And a lot of work!  Burn those calories!


For inspiration from Amazon.

It's a "how to" book with drills and pictures.  Written by the founder of Newton shoes.
The nice folks at Fit to Run in Galveston were trying to show me how to run using the methods in Natural Running. Take short, quick steps leaning slightly forward at the hips. It should be like you're running across hot coals.  You don't want your feet on the ground very long at all.

As far as where to land, they had me do a drill where I stand in place and do high knees.  From there you lean forward a little like you're going to fall and keep going forward.  It's hard to explain.  After landing on the middle of the foot you just lift your knee and repeat.  No pushing off.  Just lifting your knee. The Newtons have a little "spring" that helps give your knee a push upwards.  Very cool.

Don't be afraid to try something new.  Just do it.  As my mom always told me: You can do anything you put your mind to doing.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm loving reading about your transformation into a runner!

    You ARE a runner!! There are plenty of people that do intervals walk/run. Own it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked the library for natural running and they don't have it. I'll have to scout around town for it!

    Good for you for going outside your comfort zone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about the jumprope lately. "My" 5-year-old is getting into it now and I think we may just have to train together. I wonder if they still have "jumprope for heart?"

    You can DOOOO it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great. I'm slowly getting through the book you recommended and I'm hoping to get to the place where I choose my training plan soon. I walked outside today for the first time in a long time. I made it for a mile around the neighborhood. I have a long way to go to catch up with you though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you're trying these new things. As far as you being a runner.... yeah there's some people who would say that you aren't, but there are some who say I am not because I walk through water stations at races instead of running and trying to drink at the same time. You are what you feel. You KNOW you're running so go with that and don't let anyone tell you differently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. C - yes, they still have jump rope for heart. My daughter did it before we moved to homeschoolng.

    Kelly - I know what you mean about feeling like you need fine print below saying "I am a runner". Last week, I was struggling with the idea of being a "real runner" because I'm slow. I don't run at 7-10 mph. I run at a much slower pace..but it is MY pace, and I own the miles I run. OWN!

    You own your miles, too! Who cares if you do intervals. Those running intervals are tough!

    I think I need to look into some extra fuel for my runs. I'm tired of the crash 1 hour later. Maybe our sporting goods store..Hmm, road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have those exact ear buds! Yes, they do stay in while running very well.

    I know that I could probably do a half marathon if I pushed myself. I haven't quite gotten to the point where I actually want to do that, though. Maybe I need a push.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JUST DO IT! You're completely amazing, and can do anything you want! I wish I could do one of the runs with you, but I'm hoping to have a baby bump sometime this year, so I'm hesitant to sign up for any.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. It's great to see where you had troubles walking around the block or hiking with family to where you are running 6 miles now. I'm at that point starting off where walking around the block winds me. Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those Sport Beans! They really give me a boost when I'm riding long distances. Which for me is when I'm lucky enough to get in a 10+ ride ;)

    It's awesome that you found something you love. You ARE a runner!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love this post. I love that you have plans to do new things. Things that you might have done before but are now going for it. That is exactly what I want and need to do. I've been on the sidelines of life for the last 20 years or so and I have a lot of making up to do. I want to be a runner too. I will work on it as I am losing weight.

    Have fun. You've got a great plan and a super attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey runner girl! I like that description of how to use the Newton "springs" - can't wait to get back to it. You are doing so well with your running - 6 miles! Can you believe you ran 6 miles?!? Look how far you've come!

    I have that exact same jump rope...you'd think we shopped at the same store, lol! And your fuel stash looks great. Mmmmm, chocolate GU. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing how you are doing...
    I cheer you on from the sidelines....
    Cuz I can't seem to get past my first starting position.
    Running is a curse to me....
    Punishment from the Army, I guess.
    Once I break through that barrier,
    I will no doubt - once again - rule the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how positive this post is Kelly. I agree, they BL contestants go in feeling they can't do anything, and it takes a while for their mind to catch up that they can!

    Thanks for your well wishes! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)