Wednesday, January 5, 2011

a Duathlon of sorts

First, I want to clarify something before I recap Tuesday's workout.  Yesterday I posted about my 10 min miles, etc.  I can not run a mile in 10 minutes.  But I can run for a minute at a 10 mile minute pace. :)  At this point I can not sustain that speed for long at all.  Don't want to take credit for doing something that I'm not....though I wish I could run that fast and sustain it!

Tuesday
The weather was threatening to rain but that didn't stop me.  I loaded my bike in the back of the truck, filled a small water bottle, packed my bike bag with electrolytes for the water, two clementines, mp3 player (that I ended up not using), paper towels and a zip lock baggie (for juicy oranges and trash).  I put on my Garmin, grabbed my helmet and headed out the door.

My goal this year is to be able to ride between 25-30 miles so I can do some of the fun rides in the Houston area.  My longest ride to date was a 13 miler.  And boy am I ever slow!  I like to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

Today my goal was to take that 13 miles and add another two miles to it.  Start slow, right?

Arrived at Brazos Bend State Park and unloaded my gear.  The place was pretty empty.  The skies were gray and the temps were in the mid 60s with a breeze blowing.
 I got to see ducks and alligators and lots of little birds.   Rode past my favorite camping spot:
 Rode over a bridge where Big Creek flowed.
Shelley, that's my Armadillo Dash 5K shirt. :)
 Stopped at a picnic table for a little break.
 Snack time!  Water with electrolytes and clementines. "Oh, my darlin, clementine"
 Rode on some back trails where I came across a man walking his dog.  I rode slowly past and he smiled and told me Happy New Year.  I smiled and returned the happy wishes.  I always look people in the eyes and I could follow his eyes checking me out.  Thanks, stranger dude!  Made my day.  And creeped me out at the same time.

Saw some beautiful old live oaks.
 Some trails made me feel like I was on the set of Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  It was kind of weird how quiet some areas are.  And a few of the trails had kidney busting bumps. I even had my shocks switched on the bike but it didn't help.  Still nice to see all of the scenery.
I rode to the very back of the park where equestrian camping is allowed.  Someone was camping with their horses and had obviously not heard of the leash rules for dogs because his dogs came chasing after me and barking and growling.  I thought the little dog was about to bite me so I yelled at it.  The guy finally called his dogs off.  Ticks me off good too.  I reported it to the front office.  What if some kids had been back there riding?  MY kids?

In all I rode 18.26 miles. I exceeded my goal and am that much closer to my 30 mile goal.  It took me a looooong time though. 

I learned that it is much easier to ride on roads than trails.  I also learned that long rides require some sort of quick energy like GU or sport jelly beans...or something like that.  At the end of the ride I could feel that all energy had left my muscles.  I was tired and not  a good tired.  I needed some fuel.  Lesson learned.
----------------
Got home and unloaded then had a 100 calorie Muscle Milk for some protein.  Let it settle then headed out the door for a run.

I took it very slow as my hammies were hurting from working in the yard on Monday.  My run intervals were in the 11s and 12 min miles.  That's ok.  I did it. Ended up with 3.63 miles.  Slow miles. :)

I'm not sure of the mileage involved in an official duathlon but mine consisted of 18.26 on the bike and 3.63 on the feet.  Where's my tee shirt?!
----------------
Chuck and I got salads from Freebirds.  They forgot to put the steak on our salads so I had to drive back and get them to fix our orders.  Oh, and the floor was wet so I slipped and almost fell and further aggravated my hamstring.  Call me Grace. LOL

Watched Biggest Loser last night.  Did anyone else have your jaw drop when they mentioned a guy losing 41 pounds that first week?  Holy crap!!  One week?  I know he's big but still.  And one lady got sent home for losing 9 pounds in a week?  9 pounds!  I would do a back flip if I lost 9 pounds in a week.  The weight loss on that show amazes me. 

I know not every one likes the show for various reasons.  I don't like the game play but I love watching the people transform their lives.  And they are so happy about it too.  It encourages me to keep going.

Calorie deficit for Tuesday: 1740

If you want to get thinner, eat a little less dinner. :)

14 comments:

  1. Holy crap you are my fitness hero! I have GOT to get me a bike.

    I am going to go buy a Garmin tonight to help with the running so I don't have to carry my phone with the CardioTrainer app.

    Your pictures of the park are lovely. When I get my bike I have to get myself over to Memorial Park to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you cleared that up because I was about to get all indignant up in here... first Mr. Helen and now Kelly beating the pants off me?! I can't stand it!

    Hahahahaha! Just kidding of course. You go girl with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ride!! I love going places like that. Much more fun than the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love the live oaks down here. THey are sooooo amazing!!

    Christmas has been great since so many people wrap them in lights.

    Awesome biking! Husband and I are thinking about getting some cruisers and going out on them. Must do some price checking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were a busy lady yesterday!!!

    I'll admit I was one of those people who read the mileage times and thought HOLY CRAP she's fast. Thanks for clearing that up!

    That park looks amazing to ride through :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great job on the duathalon! I am so bad at riding my bike. Probably cuz I never do it! When I figure out how to fix my flat tire...maybe I'll start again when the weather gets slightly warmer!

    I like the biggest loser for the same reason you do. I wish no one got kicked off and at the end, whoever lost the most, won! lol. I know it makes for better tv the way they do it now. I also love all the transformations. Some of them have kept the weight off for a long time now and look great! So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from another happy Texan :-)

    Just found your blog, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- you are amazing!! I couldn't believe it when I read about your long bike ride and then you went home and RAN!

    I like to watch BL, too. I don't like the game play either, but I like to see the transformations- it's so motivating! It also taught me that I am capable of more than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know that you aren't kicking my butt in running...yet. The way you are going, though, it's gonna happen. And just so you know, when I did my speedwork (a couple of months ago - I don't do it very often which is precisely WHY you are going to be beating me soon), my intervals were slower than a 7 minute pace. So go you, speedy lady!!!

    You definitely need some GU (try the chocolate outrage!) or something - you can bonk just as easily on a bike ride as you can while running. Very nice ride you had, and hey, there's nothing wrong with taking your time - it's not a race, after all - you are just getting some miles in. While flirting with strange men and fighting off wild dogs (glad you reported that).

    Still am shocked that you ran after riding...puts my lazy butt to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is definitely a dualthon in my book! The longest I've ridden is 13 miles and it took me 60 minutes - there were a lot of hills in my neighborhood that I didn't notice until I was riding on them! :D

    I have BL on the DVR - on the two hour shows I usually wait until football Sunday to watch it with my hot tea in my comfy chair - sounds like a good episode though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn - that is a lot of workout in a day!

    No worries on taking your time biking. When we do our 40 miles rides, we stop for cupcakes in the middle. The only way to work out, if you ask me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous ride you took!
    I watched the biggest loser and I was bummed they didn't show the 41lb loss since it was with the new trainers!! I hear ya, I hear ya, 9lbs loss in a week is awesime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creepy Stranger Dude -
    Mace means NO!
    (as Kelly Raspberry on Kidd Kraddick says)
    I get checked out alot, too....
    creepy and ok at the same time, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great bike ride! It looks like fun. Wish the weather would cooperate here so I can do the same!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)