Monday, January 31, 2011

I Have a Code

*sniff* *sniff*  My nose is stopped up and I'm sneezing.  Yep, I have a cold but when I say it, it sounds like "I have a code."  Poor me. LOL

I had grand plans of exercise today but looks like I'll be in bed with a bottle of Dayquil (which puts me to sleep), Kleenex (which is really a roll of toilet tissue), and cheesy movies.

It started yesterday and got worse as the day progressed.  Chuck was so sweet. He got in the kitchen and made homemade refried beans and tacos.  He even made the taco shells!  Everything turned out perfect.  Thanks, Chuck!

Saturday I was still going strong so Chuck and I cooked together.  Gyros!! I didn't even know you could make gyros at home.

First, a trip to Phoenicia Specialty Foods for some ingredients.
 The pita is fresh from the oven.

 Cases of baklava.  Evil, wicked baklava. ;-)

 We made the gyro meat as a meatloaf and then sliced it thinly.  It was incredibly good.  Just a few ingredients.  Ground lamb is the meat of choice.  I was able to find some lean ground lamb to cut down on the calories. 

 Stuffed grape leaves.

 My plate with gyro (in half a pita), grape leaves, homemade tzaziki, a kibbeh ball, and a few roasted potatoes.  Such a good dinner.

I used a recipe from Alton Brown for the gyro meat and tzaziki.  It is really easy to make so if you like gyros you may want to give it a try.

Rachel made a cake that day to practice some of her skills.  We brought it to Chuck's parents' house and left most of it there.  Very cute cake. Tasty too!  Rachel starts a new cake decorating class next week so I'm sure she'll be making more.

The Dayquil is starting to work its magic so I guess I'll go take a nap and try to get over this cold so I can get back to running and exercising in general.  It feels weird to just lie in bed since I've been so active lately.

Goodnight, blogger buddies. *sniff* *sniff* *snork* *snork*

18 comments:

  1. Blah on colds! Feel better and get that Chuck to make you some chicken noodle soup!

    See, I can't eat lamb without thinking Lamb of God. Horrible, eh? So I always have my non traditional Gyro with chicken :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are ill, dear. All that food looks wonderful. I hope you feel better soon,. I used to do the toilet tissue thing for cold but found after a while the paper irritated my sore nose. I highly recommend you have hubby pick you up some Puffs plus lotion. It will be a lot easier on you. Hugs.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting over this myself. Feel better soon. You will be upnand running in no time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will for sure check out the AB recipe.. Thanks for link girl...
    I hope you feel better real soon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm jealous of the gyros! The cake is adorable...Rest well. We were icky last week. It stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the title, I thought I was going to find a strict diet or exercise regimen oriented post. One hand it's funny the other it's snot. Sorry couldn't resist. Hope you recover quickly. I still have a lingering cough (after a month) and will be asking my doctor about it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get rest and feel better!

    Alton Brown, is there nothing that man can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better soon! I'e never braved greek food beofre in my kithcen- you made it look delish! Racheal has some SERIOUS cake talent!!

    Tagged you in my post today. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGH, I feel ya! I think I'm finally on the other side, but this cold has sure kicked my butt! I hope you feel better soon!

    I love gyros! Thanks for the link to that recipe. I definitely want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh - I get it - a "code!"
    Blesh your shweet heart!
    Get better faster-er!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear you have a code. Hope you are feeling better real soon.

    I'm literally salivating over the gyro's. Where is that place? Not that I need to know, but I think I do ;)

    And Rachel's cake is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dayquil is the bomb. Love that stuff! Hope you are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an award for you at my blog.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you feel better soon. And those gyros look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate colds but it is a good excuse to watch cheezy movies!

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you feel better soon! I'm just getting over it, so I feel your pain!

    Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Kelly, I'd have never thought of gyros made at home. Sounds awesome! Hope the 'code' gets better soon. Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)