Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What If I Can't Lose the Weight

I think I did very well with my eats yesterday.  I made sure to eat a couple of snacks to keep my blood sugar steady.  I chose good things like low carb yogurt and oranges.  I ate healthy Thai Chili for lunch (so good it's awesome) and Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner.  I stayed hydrated.  A good day in the books.

Exercise included strength training for the lower body using a routine from January issue of Oxygen magazine.  I also did 40 minutes of Zumba.

I had planned on a run that evening with hubby but when I got dressed and laced up my shoes I jogged through the living room and my back got a sharp pain that ran from my lower back across my left hip.  Then I would get the sharp pain just walking.  So no running last night.  I think I pinched a nerve doing Zumba.  Perhaps my hips weren't made to shake like that? :)

Since I couldn't go running I decided to take a shower and call it a day.  When I was drying off I noticed my belly pooch again and thought, "What if it never goes away?  What if I'm never able to get to my goal weight?  Would I still keep working this hard if I knew I'd never be able to lose the weight?"

Tough question if you really stop and consider it. If I knew that I'd always have my belly pooch and this was as good as it's going to get would I a) eat whatever I wanted or b) continue to eat better?  Would I a)continue to work out or b)become a couch potato again?

After some thought I decided that I like the way I feel now.  I like that I have more energy and stamina.  I love that I can run a little easier now (it's still difficult but not as bad as before).  I like feeling my muscles after I use weights.  I love feeling my heart race when I ride my bike.  I most love the attitude that is developing. It's an "I can do anything" attitude and it's been missing for far too long.  I'm tackling things that have held me back in the past like my fear of heights (my legs literally seize up when I get high and I can't move and it's painful).  Now I'm climbing the stairs of observation towers and the nets of playgrounds.

So even if I knew that I'd never lose another pound or my belly pooch, I believe that I'd still keep doing what I'm doing: watching what I eat and exercising and trying new things.  I feel too good not to.

Knowing that about myself helps to take the focus off the scale and the maddening obsession with numbers.  I still believe the numbers are important but it's not why I do what I do.  I do this because I feel so much happier and better about myself.

What about you? Would you eat right and work hard if you knew you'd never lose another pound? For me, realizing that I would do this no matter what shifted my focus and made me feel more at peace.  It helps me to enjoy the journey more and realize that the journey doesn't end at a goal weight. 

17 comments:

  1. I like the me I've become by eating right and exercising more. I don't spend as much time feeling sorry for myself as I did when I was stuffing my face to make myself "happy". Yeah, I'm in for the long haul even if the scale never drops another notch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in. I can't imagine living any other way. More weight loss would be a bonus for sure, but if it never happens, I still want to feel good, like I do most of the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get really scared about not losing weight, and I think that is what is holding me back the most from actually doing it.

    That being said, eating healthy, whole foods and exercising keeps me feeling like a human. I could not imagine going back to that couch potato, eat whatever I want status. I like feeling healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. I would continue. I realize that there could alway be an improvement if I lost a few more pounds but I CAN be content where I am weight wise. What I'm not happy with is my fitness level. I really would like to work on that a lot more. I'm off to a good start but my ongoing goal would be to stay in the exercise frame of mind and get some of the leftover flab tightened up. I want to be strong enough to haul myself around and do normal activities that anyone my age could do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if I never lose another pound, I'll still be out walking, jogging, cycling, getting out and exploring the world. Beats sitting on the couch any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - this is LIVING. Something I just didn't do before. I know that eating right gives me so much more energy, which in turn makes me want to be active. Win-win. :)

    Weird about your pain. Lay off the Zumba, since that is the new thing. Hope it goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I I feel a world better than I did 67 pounds ago. It's a huge difference in how I can sit, walk, go up and down stairs, even just hygiene stuff is easier. TMI coming: Putting in a tampon was an ordeal at 300 pounds. It was hard reaching around all that fat.

    So, the quality of life has radically improved, and I'm STILL OBESE. So part of me wants to experience again the ease of being in a body that's NOT obese. It's been so long it's really hard to remember. But I used to be able to do more yoga poses when I was 160, cause the fat wasn't in the way.

    I had a poochy belly even at 140 lbs, so that's not the thing or measure. I never had a beautiful body, not even at normal weight. My architecture is weird. BUT...I had a flexible body that was able to do MORE.

    I wanna do MORE.

    So, yes. I would....for the energy and flexibility and better sex and just ....feeling alive again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, tough question. I'd like to quickly say "Of course, I'd keep it up!" but...to be honest? Probably not. I'd probably keep it up for a while, get tired one day (or sick) and just say F it. Just being honest. If I didn't see any results for my efforts, I don't know if I could keep it up.

    That'd be kind of like going to work for no pay.

    Don't get me wrong, I really like the extra fitness I'm gaining...and honestly, I'm trying to focus on that more than numbers, because numbers drive me crazy!

    Your post is a perfect example why we shouldn't focus on "when I get to blank weight" but more on "Now I can do _____, what is my next challenge?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is VERY worth it to be healthy even if it means not losing weight. I just found out why yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually i know i would. The difference eating healthy and moving more makes to my body (that's not getting any younger) is amazing and not something i wish to lose :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even if I never get 10 more pounds off - I would be happy here. I would never, ever, never want to go back to the way I was.

    I like your attitude :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can honestly say that yes I would. I have been the same weight for about 18 months (give or take a few pounds) and I have kept it up. I like eating this way. I like feeling healthy and energetic.

    Your post title made me think of a favorite quote...."Whether you believe that you can or you can't, you are right"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I would. I look at it this way, at some point..if you kept working at it, you ARE going to stop losing weight. There is going to be a point where you dont NEED to lose any more weight.

    When that time comes, it doesn't mean you can stop eating healthy or working out. There will never be a point when you can just 'stop' and revert back to how you were living before. You have to maintain your health...forever

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, first of all- that would just stink! But if it was something that couldn't be changed- I think I would continue to do what I'm doing now because I feel so much better about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never stop what I am doing now. I have a belly pooch that I can't get rid of after 60 pounds of weight loss. However, it inspires me to work harder and it reminds me what I did to myself all those years.

    Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would totally eat LoCarb even if I didn't lose another pound. I can't imagine ever going back to the other way of thinking or of eating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved your post and ponder those same thoughts. Due to your great physical activity, you have gained some great muscle mass. I am dealing with the same issues as you. My scale numbers are moving in the opposite direction than what I want them to, but my clothes are fitting as well as they were 5 lbs ago. I am choosing to remember that muscle looks leaner and it does weigh more. Hopefully at sometime, the scales will begin to move backwards once again.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)