Tuesday, February 22, 2011

San Antonio Trip Part 2 (Saturday)

Saturday morning we met bright and early in the hotel lobby for the free breakfast buffet then we were off for another day of exploration and adventure.

The day started foggy. Drizzly even.
Stopped at the Rivercenter Mall for bathroom break (darn you, Rock Star!) and souvenirs. Found a store with lots of fun Texas shirts and gifts.

Beware the Ass Reaper hot sauce!

Or how about a Day of the Dead menorah?

This little shop was just bursting with colorful things.

A daytime visit to the Alamo.  No picture taking allowed inside.  It used to be very quiet but now people just talk and it's noisy.  I liked it better a little solemn and respectful.  So many lost their lives there.

Outside by the old barracks.

The grounds of the Alamo are beautiful.

Even outside the Alamo grounds at Alamo plaza are beautiful:



And we had to go explore the beautiful Emily Morgan hotel.  Emily Morgan is the "Yellow Rose of Texas" who supposedly kept Santa Anna busy while the Texans snuck up on him.  There's more to the store but you get the idea.
The hotel:

Time for lunch at Mad Dog's British Pub on the Riverwalk (Anne and I had grilled chicken salad) where all of the waiters wore kilts. A toast with SF Red Bull (it gives you wings)

Then, it's finally time....to see....WICKED!!! 
Every thing about the Majestic Theater is ornate.  The most beautiful theater I've ever seen in pictures or in person.  Gorgeous!
The play was incredible.  I would love to see it again and again and again.  If you get the chance, go see it. 

After the play was finished it was time for dinner so we started making our way to Mi Tierra which had been recommended to us by several people.

This is one crazy ass restaurant!  So much to see it's like an assault on your senses. This is the ceiling inside the restaurant:
There was also an Elvis that we thought was fake at first but he moved and freaked me out like I was ready to run out the door and have nightmares and seek therapy just a little.
I was watching him from a distance and he would turn his head and stare at me.  Did not like.

Dinner was great.  Fajita salad for Anne (her first time to try fajitas!!) and chicken/beef fajita combo for Chuck and I.  And there may have been a margarita involved.  Maybe.

Time to explore again.
How could we not visit the Tower of America's while there?  That is one tall building. 

Incredible views at the top and incredible winds.  Almost blew my shirt right off.
We walked several miles that day while exploring the city.  By 9:30 I was getting pretty sleepy. 

Drove back to the hotel and said our goodnights.  Day 2 of the wonderful trip complete.  It was an incredibly fun day.  So many new things to see and do.  Laughing.  Talking. I was a little sad that it was almost over.

Part 3,  The Finale, coming soon.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful time you guys had! I've enjoyed it through yours and Anne's pictures. I'm ready to go back to San Antonio now.

    I'm with you about the Alamo. I remember it being so quiet. Wouldn't like the loudness.

    Thanks, btw, for leaving me such a nice comment. It really helped me...so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics, Kelly, Looks like you all had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my beautiful friend! What a fun long day you all had! Love the Wicked poses. You and Anne are too cute. :) Although I'm shocked that she has never tried fajitas before that trip...glad she was finally indoctrinated. :)

    I'm surprised the DAR lets people get away with being so disrespectful inside the Alamo - it didn't used to be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as though I was there with you guys!! Although I would have bought that hot sauce and I'd have bought one of those lizards on the wall :)
    Hope Anne gave you a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos Kelly. Your trip looks like it was a lot of fun and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly - this rocks!
    Just like being there!
    I did for a fact love to see Wicked!
    And that poster cracks me up!
    I never get tired of that.
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Did not like." HAHAHAHAHAHA! I don't blame you.

    Fajitas & Margaritas. It rhymes. Must go together! Must!

    *whimper* I wanna go to San Antonio!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just trying to catch up on my blog reading - what a full packed weekend!

    I actually saw Wicked in Chicago with Ana Gasteyer and Kristin Chenowyth (sp?) - unbelievably great!

    So glad you had a great time - looking forward to the finale!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)