Thursday, February 17, 2011

Trying New Things

Trying new things puts me outside of my comfort zone but I always enjoy the experience.  For example, the Y offers some classes that I are new to me but I'm nervous about going to something new so I hesitate.  I'm nervous about the unknown.

But if I want to enjoy life to the fullest I need to be willing to step outside my comfort zone and try new things.  Even if it's as simple as eating at a new restaurant, meeting a blogger in person (can't wait to meet you, Anne!), or visiting a spa.

I had a Groupon for a spa that included a facial, "hydration station", and a spray tan.  I have never had any of these things and I didn't even know what a hydration station was.  So I was putting off going to this place even though I had purchased the coupon but it was about to expire.  I really don't know why I was so nervous.  The unknown.

First, I had to exfoliate my face then apply a gel. It made my face very shiny. :)  I was also sent home with a cream to put on my face at night that made it feel wonderful.
 Then I was taken to a room to sit in this recliner and I was told to put on some goggles.  The lady lowered the white machine over my face and a very bright lights was turned on.  I stayed there for 20 minutes.
 After the light treatment, I washed my face again and it felt so good. :)

Time for the "hydration station". I had to strip down (alone) and lay in this egg looking thing.  I had no idea what to expect so I nervously asked the lady about it.  She told me it would get to 118 degrees and steam infused with vitamins would be spraying for 20 minutes.  There were also lights that slowly changed color.
 My head would stick out and there was a screen where I could adjust the massage and face fan and music.
 It was hotter than an Arizona summer in that thing!  I honestly thought that my boobs would spontaneously combust.  They were on fire.  Yeah, this is supposed to be cleansing.  I'm not sure.  I started to wonder if maybe it would melt the fat on my body.  Like a stick of butter sitting in the sun.  It didn't work on my fat like I had hallucinated imagined.

Sweaty and wrapped in a terry cloth robe, I was lead to the spray tan booth.  It's an open concept.  First it sprays a bronzer or moisturizer or something, you turn and face the other way and it sprays again. Turn back to the front and it blows you dry then it sprays the tan, turn to the side and it sprays more tan, turn to the other side for more tan, and turn to the back for more tan.  Then it blows air over you to dry you.  Then you're done!

Here's the tanning booth.
 Me in my robe before stepping into the booth.
 Me after the tan.  It hadn't really turned bronze yet so it's not much of a difference and the photo is blurry. Sorry about that.  But I am more tan today.  I didn't even have to wear foundation!
It was a fun experience and I'm glad I got to do it.  The Groupon lets me go for one more time next week before it expires.  FUN and ADVENTURE and TAN!
-------------------------------
DOCTOR VISIT
Today was the 3 month visit to the doctor for my mother and I. 

My mom has lost 41 pounds in 3 months!  In case you're wondering, she's 66 and walks 1 mile per day very slowly because she has a bad ankle and she's following the diet from The Insulin Resistance Diet book.  She's also taking thyroid meds and Glucophage.

She had to also go to the internalist because her gall bladder is acting up and the doctors there told her that everyone should be on the insulin resistance diet. It's basically combining carbs with protein.  It's a lower carb diet but not what would be called low carb.  The doctor said she and her family eat that way and so did the guy who took her blood pressure and did the ultrasound.  Interesting.

I need to get back on it. I lost 7 pounds in 1 month when I was doing it.  Anywayyyyy......

I hadn't lost that much weight in the 3 or 4 months: 16 pounds.  But my doctor was very happy with my progress.  He told me I look gorgeous and I shouldn't base my progress on the scale.  He said judge it by your clothes and how you feel.  He said he was tempted to give me an exam just because I looked so good. LOL  He's always joking like that.  His wife is a nurse there and we all just laugh at him.  He's hilarious.  But he said I'm doing great AND my blood pressure is down. YAY!!!!  I'm so happy.

He does want me to try to get back on Glucophage.  Last time I tried I felt terrible and had chest pains and had to visit a cardiologist.  This time he wants me to smash the pill then take the smallest crumb and work up from there at my own pace.  No rush.  Just smaller to larger crumbs.  He said I will have results like my mom's eventually. 

I'm so so proud of my mom.  She's been fighting her weight my entire life and she's finally succeeding.  She also said that she finds this diet very easy.  It's just a way of life for her. 
--------------------------------
Tomorrow Chuck and I leave for San Antonio and I get to meet Anne.  Can't wait. Wish you could have met us there.  You know it's not too late.  It would be great to meet some other bloggers there. :)

Have a great weekend.

17 comments:

  1. How funny for the poor girls!
    And I am sooooo excited about meeting you!
    I love to meet bloggers. It's like my hobby.
    Can't Wickedly Wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doctor is so smart. He knows beautiful when he sees it. And it only reinforces what I have been saying for the past three months.

    You are doing so well. You look absolutely fantastic!

    Looking forward to taking you away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spa visit sounds great! Have a great time tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I LOVE that your doctor is not all about the number on a scale!!! Congratulations on getting such a good review from him. :)

    I've never done a spa thing either, and would have been totally nervous, like you...good on ya for getting the courage to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you and your mom are doing great! The spa experience sounds a little out of my comfort zone right now but something I would like to try in the future. Good for you for pampering yourself, you totally deserve to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really got a chuckle out of the spontaneous combustion of the boobs. Too funny! Cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love massages, but I cannot stand someone touching my face LOL..
    sounds like y ou had a great time!
    Also sounds like great appts for both you and your mom!!! And so glad the boobages did not combust!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us on your spa trip with you! I've thought about going for one of those bronzer thingies.

    Enjoy your time in SA with Anne and Wicked - you guys are going to have such a great time!

    You ARE gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun spa day, Kelly!

    I agree with your doc - you do look FANTASTIC! You are doing an amazing job and I'm so glad to hear that your blood pressure is better too. You and your Mom (and Chuck!) are an inspiration!

    Have fun seeing Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your Mom!

    I had a spa day once with a mineral soak and a sauna. It was quite nice, I have to say. My sister treated me.

    That hydration thing actually sounds like a *de*hydration thing LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear Kelly. I think I need to find a Depends I'm laughing so hard at your description of the hydration station thingy. Especially the boobs exploding part. LOLOLOL!

    Awwww Chuck. You sure know how to post the correct comments.

    Great news about your doctor visit. Just try doing what he says... wouldn't it be amazing if you got on a downward spiral and kept going?

    Have fun with the marvelous Anne this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to meet you!! So proud of both you and your Mom - and yes, you have to combine carbs with protein to maintain blood sugar - I was shocked when a woman my sister works with couldn't figure out why her blood sugar was so high.

    I asked her what she ate for breakfast and she said "only two donuts and a hot chocolate." Um, duh!

    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't tease me! I only wish I were in SA to meet up :)

    I am SO happy that your doctor's visit turned out well. What a difference 3 months make! And your mom? WOW! I can't get over her weight loss!

    And as far as you, you look FAB in the spa! So glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got to meet Anne! I am so thrilled for you...and for her too of course.

    Now that I have found your blog, I will become a regular reader.

    Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The spa treatment sound so nice. I want to visit a spa but I'm also nervous about it! Maybe I'll just have to do it, like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had not stopped by in awhile but congrats to you and your Mother. It ain't easy for any of us and you two are really putting the pedal to the medal so to speak.

    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first thought when I saw your pic is "Good Lord look how tiny Kelly is!!" You look so GOOD girl! You've come so far and accomplished so much are you are just one gorgeous girl. Enjoy your getaway with your hubby and have fun meeting Anne...meeting bloggers is soooo much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)