Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crumby Pill

I visited my doctor who is a reproductive endocrinologist and gynecologist.  This was my 3 month check up since I had been diagnosed with menagerie of little problems like a wicked case of insulin resistance, PCOS, low iron, high blood pressure, low vitamin D, low thyroid and high testosterone.  There may have been something else but I can't remember. :)  Maybe it was memory problems!

The dr. started me on a few different pills including metformin.  I had a terrible reaction to the metformin: no interest in food, just wanted to stay in bed, tired, stomach pains, nauseous, and chest pains. So I stopped taking those.

I go back to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and they take 5 vials of blood (I hate needles!). My blood pressure is down and things look like they are going good (though I haven't received the results from the bloodwork yet) then the dr. tells me that he still wants me on glucophage because this insulin resistance is genetic (yes, my family has a long history with diabetes) and he wants to prevent me from getting diabetes.

So here's how he's going to get me on the Glucophage pill: the Crumb Method.  Take a pill, crush it, then chose the smallest crumb.  Take a crumb 3 times per day with a meal then graduate to a larger crumb, then a larger as my body learns to handle it.

I started last Monday with a wee little crumb and have graduated to this size crumb:
Yeah, I've worked up to this size. So far I've had a little nausea and a horrendous taste in my mouth like I've been sucking on loose change.  No amount of mouthwash or gum will take it away.

The good news is that, according to the dr., since I am so sensitive to the Glucophage it should work very good on me.  The weight should come off easier (instead of the constant fight for each pound) and I should get this insulin resistance under control. Yay!
--------------------------
Exercise: started new workout routine in Oxygen's March issue.
3 sets of 10
*stability ball dumbbell flye
*one arm band row

3 sets of 8
*stability ball incline push-up (couldn't do it on the stability ball so I used the stairs as my incline)
*one-arm dumbbell row

I didn't think that small amount would do much but I woke up sore this morning! I guess it works the muscles in a different way than my previous routine.
-------------------------
Fun non-scale victory.  Rachel has a dance this week so we went looking for a dress yesterday.  It felt good to be able to try to talk her into certain dresses because I wanted to borrow them. :)  I used to have to shop on the "women's" side of the store. Ah, does the confidence good.

Take care of you.  Be kind to yourself. No negative talk. :)

11 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, that pill business sounds really challenging! I hope things improve for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better soon!You may want to look into Gerson Therapy, Kelly. I know I've been through my share of drugs, but nothing worked for me as well as this did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it works out for your this time. Metformin is a good drug if you can tolerate it. I was on it for years when I was still diabetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things work out with your meds this time. It sounds like a great thing if it works and you can get to where it doesn't bother you.

    How awesome to not have to shop in the plus sizes anymore!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've told you before, but I had the same problem 10+ years ago on glucophage - it eventually went away, but I wish I had heard of the crumb method back then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just guessing out loud here, but maybe that taste in your mouth is ketosis?
    (Smells a little like Acetone - fingernail polish remover)
    Urine Test Strips might confirm it!
    If so, then know it is one of the bi-products of weight loss! Might not change anything, but might make it more palatable! And it will change over time.
    Especially if you are losing at 5 pounds a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad your bp was better... sorry you have to take that pill, but if it's going to help you, I'm all for it! That's a tiny crumb :)
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Medical stuff - such a pain but so necessary. Hope you can get past the yuck of the glucophage soon.

    You are going to have to start Fashion Friday here, with all of the new small clothes you are wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you find a way to resolve your crumby pill issue and I hope it continues to work well for you.

    Smaller clothes? Awesome. No negative talk? Even awesomer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting way to prescribe pills! I hope it works for you.

    I am somewhat envious. I have not been tested for insulin resistance, but I know I have it. ONe doctor in the past four years told me I had it--he was not my doctor, I had to see him because mine was busy. I have many of the symptoms. I often wonder if that's why my weight just hangs on for dear life. Both parents and two siblings have diabetes.

    Anyway, I hope you are able to tolerate the medication.

    Love the dress story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    seriously.

    hugs a'coming your way from Austin.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)