Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Doctor Visits

I always thought that people who were fine right after a car accident but complaining of neck injuries the next day were nothing but ambulance chasers.  Especially for a mild fender bender.  Then it happened to me.

Last Wednesday I was in a little car accident and was fine except a little shaken up.  Thursday morning I woke up with a sore neck and back.  My neck was so bad that it hurt to even touch it gently.  I thought it would get better as the day progressed.  Wrong.

Friday I was too busy to get to the doctor but I was finally able to go yesterday (Monday).  First I went to the chiropractor and she said that most people are like that: fine the day of the accident but the next morning feel all the aches and pains.  I was out of alignment so she worked on me with some machine that made my muscles jump a little.  Then I was put on a massage table that was wonderful.    She then put me on the adjustment table and felt my spine and neck and said it was very tight and I had limited range of motion in my neck.  She touched one spot on my hips and I almost jumped off that table!  I didn't even know I was hurting there!  She said she could tell when I walked in that I was out of alignment.

Got my adjustment but my neck didn't move much so I have to go in three times a week so she can work on that.

Next appointment: my family doctor.  He's from India and I just love to hear him talk. "Whut can I do fer you?" 

I tell him my story and he said "Eet is veddy common."  My reflexes were fine so he said to continue my therapy at the chiropractor.  In the meantime I get Vicodin and Soma. 

Vicodin is a wonder drug.  It cures everything or at least makes you feel like you're cured.  I took my pill and was happy.  I love everybody and everybody loves me.  There are no wars.  No crazy drivers and even the ones that try to hit me I just want to give them a hug.  Unicorns are frolicking in my front yard amongst sparkling rainbows while I skip among the tulips.  I tell you, this stuff should be available over the counter.  The world would be a happier place.

Soma.  Holy crap!  It is just a coma inducer.  Nice muscle relaxer. :) One minute I was reading a book last night and the next I'm drooling.  It's better than Ambien.  I took Ambien before and instead of putting me to sleep I became a wild and crazy party animal but remember nothing the next day.  That's dangerous.

OK, enough drug talk.  I'm ok.  But if I leave a particularly loving comment (or strange comment) on your blog it's just because I'm on my happy pills.  I'm fine. Really.
---------------------
Weight: 178.4  (crap. up 4/10ths of a pound. No worries. Could be anything. Was hoping to see 177 this morning though)

Exercise: Doctor said no running for at least a week so I don't jar those neck muscles.

What she said: "I advise you not to run for at least a week so you aren't aggravating the neck. Just speed walk."  (advice)

What I heard: "I dare you to try to run. You can't do it, can you?" (dare)

I hate being told what to do.  It's a character flaw I'm sure.  And listening to stories that my mom tells of my childhood, it's something I was born with. Stubborn. Strong willed.  Whatever.  I don't like being called no.

So my natural inclination is to go for a run come hell or high water.  And the vicodin makes me feel like I can do anything. Maybe if I shuffled my feet when I ran? :)

Do you have problems with being told NO?
-----------------------------------
While waiting for my meds to be filled at the pharmacy I stopped by Half Price Books. WOW!  They have some really good prices on cookbooks. I got some "light"  reading.
I got some books for $5!
--------------------------------
Last Wednesday I had to visit the powder room in the middle of the night.  I got out of bed but didn't have my land legs and stumbled and tripped and hit my shin.  It still looks nasty and hurts.
Ouch!
------------------------------------
Eats:
Breakfast-Muffin in a Minute
Love my Texas mugs

A little bit more dry and grainy than a real muffin but still tasty.
So easy to make and only 3.2 carbs. Just stir together 1/4 cup flax seed meal, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1 packet Splenda or Stevia in a coffee mug. Stir in 1 egg and 1 tsp butter.  Microwave 1 minute. Eat!  The recipe can be found here with all the nutrition stats.

Lunch- leftover veal scallopine and 1/2 cup steamed broccoli with soy sauce

Snack-on the run. protein bar

Dinner- Baked Cod with Lemon & Parsley, baked asparagus, and salad. 
Like, Oh my cod!

It was some of the best fish I've made. Charlie ate more than Chuck!  I think he would have had more fish had I any left.  I will definitely make this again. Soon. 
Baked Cod with Parsley & Lemon
from Protein Power
Serves 2 but you can double it easily

3/4 to 1 pound cod, grouper, flounder, etc.
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbs milk (I used half and half)
3 Tbs wheat germ
2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
2 Tbs minced parsley
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Soak the fish in the egg wash for 30 minutes.  Mix the wheat germ with the Parmesan and dip the fish into it on both side to form a light coating--no more than needed.  Preheat the oven to 375*. Heat the oil and butter together in a nonstick skillet (I used my cast iron skillet) with an ovenproof handle and lightly brown the fillet on both sides over medium heat.  Remove the skillet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the fish is firm.  Garnish with parsley and lemon zest.
They don't give a lot of nutritional info. Sorry.
Per serving: 4.5 g carbohydrates, 47 grams protein

Absolutely delicious.

Baked asparagus:
Snap off any woody end. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for about 8 minutes in 500* oven, stirring occasionally.  I sprinkled some Parmesan on top after I removed them from the oven. Yum!

Great dinner.
Snack- Chuck made me a Coke float with some low carb vanilla ice cream and some Diet Coke. Very good.

Total carbs: approx 20.7 grams

I really need to drink my water today. Didn't do that like I should yesterday.


That's it for today. I plan to get some form of exercise today (shuffle running maybe?) and work on a menu for the rest of the week. Have a happy day.

18 comments:

  1. I HATE that you have to deal with this stupid neck thing.

    I really do hope it passes quickly. In the meantime, NO running. None. We walk.

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, honey!
    I do that all the time - what I heard, and what was really said...... and I'm not even on drugs!
    :D

    Get better asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your doctor talking had me laughing out loud! too funny =) I had to take vicodin after my c-sections and it always made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, lol - I too was a much nicer person to be around, lol. You are too much fun!

    I hope you are feeling better soon, quit beating yourself up woman! ;)

    That fish may be making an appearance on my table soon! Looks so good!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do work with an orthopedic office and many people come in a week later with aches and pains after an accident.

    I make several different versions of the 1 minute muffin. You must try it with pumpkin!

    Any the magic roll recipe is in that Eades cookbook you got :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you are hurting from the accident. The same thing happened to me one time when I was rear-ended. Not fun. However, I didn't get good pain meds for mine.:)

    I'm glad you are feeling happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! Not uncommon at all to hurt until the day or two after. On day one, your body is rocking out on adrenalin and doesn't recognize the pain.

    The adrenalin wears off in about 24 to 48 hours, though and BAM! You're hurt!

    FYI...Cherry Ames Student Nurse (aka Adult Daughter #1) was t-boned a few years ago by a guy who blasted through a stop sign. She was emotionally fine the day of the accident. She pulled Princess Pea (younger sister) from the smashed car. She helped the other driver out of his and used her gym shirt as a compress on his head. She made the phone calls to Mom and Dad, called 911 and waited for the police. This girl even called her best friend to ask her to get her chemistry homework out of her locker and turn it in because ahem, she had been in a car wreck and would probably be late to school. We were amazed.

    Flash forward two weeks. C.A.S.N. gets a flat tire and totally loses it. Calls me because she can't remember how to change the tire. I get there and find her sitting on the curb sobbing as if the world was coming to an end. Delayed reaction to the wreck? Yeah. I think so. It was way too much emotion for a simple flat tire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the happy drug description - that's funny! :)
    Although I'm with your hubby - no running until it's healed. Possibly irritating it more will just prolong your time-out. Walk baby walk!

    And yeah, I hate the word "NO".

    Wicked is coming here - think I should go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Based on the photo of the scraped and bruised shin, you are one big ball o aches and pains. Still, perhaps no Vicodin and Soma at the same time? Either that or enjoy it while it lasts lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm one of those few unlucky ones where the vicodin does absolutely nothing for! No happiness and no decrease in pain. Shucks!

    I tried the minute muffin a couple of times but I couldn't stomach the taste all that much unless it was dripping with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad there were no major injuries from the accident. Hope your neck feels better!

    And yes, when you are told you CAN'T do something...you want to do it even more (even if you would never have done it in the first place!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's true the next day you definitely feel the pain :(
    When you described your Dr. it made me remember mine that has just passed away. He was from Trinidad and I loved going in and hearing "Just sit down and relax" in his carribean accent :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I'll have what she's having" - LOL. You are funny with the drugggs. I hope you don't need them for too long - sorry that you are hurting so bad! And I'm with Chuck - hold off on the running (don't look at me for the (bad) example).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't WAIT to be insured again (soon) so that I go get realigned. UGH! I'm sorry you're dealing with pain...and crugs. nasty stuff! Hope you're back to baseline soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry about your neck, Kelly
    :( Glad you have some happy pills!

    And NO RUNNING, you! Take it easy until you are feeling better! The road will be there when you're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boo to being in pain!!! Hope you are feeling better quickly. Wouldn't mind a video of the shuffle run...LOL!

    Nice score on all the cookbooks...

    You and Anne inspired me to have bacon cheeseburgers tonight. I kept seeing pics and I just had to have some. They were GREAT!

    Love the asparagus...I have a bunch in the fridge and I am going to cook them tomorrow night just like you did...can't wait!

    Enjoy your high and feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate being told what to do, too. I want to do the exact opposite instantly. We're two peas in a pod with that. I've had people tell me I'm the most stubborn person they'd ever met. (Including one of the judges I worked for. lmao I didn't like him anyway and he knew it.)

    So sorry your neck and hip are screwed up. No fair. I about fell out of your chair when your happy doctor gave you happy pills. Sheesh, even after they finally diagnosed my kidney stones, my doctor still refused to give me pain meds. I had to wait four days until my heavenly urologist gave me ...VICODIN. Gee, if we lived close I could take one of my left overs and we could have a lovely, happy party. ;-) I so know what you're talking about, ahhhh.

    Enjoy your books, enjoy your speed walking ;-), and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com, where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and blogs. We noticed that you have a lot of delicious recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you have a look at our site: http://www.recipesus.com/.

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow these instructions: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    info@recipesus.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is really awesome, that is why I just keep on coming back.
    It will be my pleasure if you visit mine @ http://www.zuup.com/what-is-zuup
    You see I’m a health care enthusiast, looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)