Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Running & Carbs & Side Effects of Losing Weight

I feel so much better today!  I took the smallest crumb in my bag of Glucophage.  I feel so weird sorting through my dime bag.  Looks like something that a person would snort. 

My hips have also recovered from the run on Sunday so today I laced up the Newtons.
Instead of the regular intervals I decided to run when I felt like running and walk when I felt like walking for 30 minutes total.  With a little help from Bust a Move (Young MC), Dancing Queen (Abba), and Connected (Stereo MCs) the run was actually quite pleasurable.

30 minutes, 2.25 miles.  13:20 pace.  Slow.  I was built for comfort, not speed. ;-)

So, a few comments about carbs on my eats post.  Yep, I'm sure had a few too many but it was way within the guidelines of the Insulin Resistance Diet that my doctor put me on.

The low carb bagel was 18 carbs.  The 1/3 cup rice counts as 1 serving of carbs (15g). I'm allowed 2 servings. The SF cake is 6 carbs.

That being said, I'm with you on reducing the carbs.  And I'm going to be reducing them even more.  I would love to be free of these extra pounds and the meds.

Speaking of extra pounds, just by cutting the carbs a little I have finally started losing weight again.  One of the not-so-cool side effects is clothing.  Lack of clothing and clothes falling off.

Example: today while running my underwear slipped down.  Like off my hips.  Let me tell you, that's not a comfortable way to run for 30 minutes.  I was in public so I couldn't just dig around and pull them back up.  Time to go shopping.

The size 14 jeans fit perfectly now (even out of the dryer!) so I'll be shopping for size 12s soon.  It's hard to believe.  I think the last time I was in 12s was last time I did a low carb diet when Rachel was 4 or 5 years old. 10 or 11 years ago!  I can't wait. :)

Oh, and thanks for the "nanny mode."  I've learned a lot by the comments and suggestions that people leave.  I may not always act on them immediately but they do stay in my mind.

(Two posts in one day?  Isn't there a blogger rule about that somewhere?)

PS: Shelley, I was getting tired and kicked the *&#$@ out of my ankle and thought about you.  It really hurts!  Left ankle for me. Form, form, form.

11 comments:

  1. Your dr put you on an insulin resistant DIET?! There is a diet? Mine just told me if I eat 15 grams of carb then eat 7 grams of protein within two hours. I am new to this. I have been doing Weight Watchers and having a hard time dropping pounds. If you would please give me an idea of what a day on your insulin resis diet would be. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that ankle kicking is catching...it does hurt like a mother! Sah-weet shoes (it can't be their fault) - looking forward to running with you in our (holy crap I just realized this) matching outfits, down to our shoes!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I just ordered the book. From what I read it seems not much counting calories, points, etc. just keeping up with the carb/protein ratio. I am not losing doing what I am doing (WW) and just found out about the insulin resis problem. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around not counting calories or something. I am afraid I will eat too much, but then I am not eating much now and the weight isn't budging and I know that isn't right. Thank you again, look forward to keeping up with your blog to see what you will be eating as I have to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just plain FEEL better when I keep my carbs low. It sounds like you do too. Congrats on getting the running in. Running isn't going well for me yet. I think my forte will be speed walking but I still need practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, those shoes are AMAZING!! Where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on the running!!!

    You are welcome for dinner anytime...just let me know when you will be in town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, I got them at a store called Fit to Run in Galveston. They're called Newton Momentums. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I understood what you were going through, please explain this insulin resistance to me again?
    It's hard for me to wrap my head around it since I'm Type 1 Diabetic. I guess it's the opposite of what I'm going through?
    I wish you well and hope you can get this all figured out so as to not get sick on those crumbs anymore.

    New panties is a good thing....CONGRATS!!! I'm not there yet, but soon I hope!

    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carbs are not "the enemy" -
    but not always our BFF like people would have us think!
    Especially if /when we don't metabolise them as we once did!
    And *ruff* to you ankle!
    Get well soon, Kelly's ankle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We run the same speed! I almost always run a mile at 13:20. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE YOU AND SHELLEY.

    and for me reading the book the zone was a huge ah ha! when it came to carbs.
    It made sense---intellectually----but life-wise it took me a few years to implement.
    I fast that way :)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)