Friday, March 18, 2011

St Patty's Day eats & treats

Did you have a good St Patty's Day?  We don't really celebrate it even though I have an Irish background.  My middle name is the maiden name of my grandmother: Kelly Carroll.  She actually got to go visit our relatives in Ireland a few years ago. Pretty cool. :)

Anyway, we didn't do anything special except toast the day with a little vodka.  Not exactly Irish but that's ok.

No exercise yesterday.  I was tired all day with a nagging headache.  I'm thinking I may be tired because I'm not getting enough exercise.  Sounds counterintuitive but when I work out hard on a regular schedule I feel so much more energetic. Starting a routine is the hard part because you have to dig deep to find that energy to begin in the first place.  But it does pay off.

I also got to play taxi to Rachel.  It's hard to believe she'll get her license in 3 months. My baby?  Driving?  It's just not possible.  It's like some Twilight Zone warp.  I swear she was just a wee thing only yesterday.  Now she's taller than I am!

Meds: I didn't take my Glucophage on purpose.  I wanted one day without it.  But I did take my other meds including thyroid and vitamins.

Hunger: was only hungry once and that was between lunch and dinner.  I had to force myself to eat lunch though.

Eats:
Breakfast- 2 fried eggs, 1 light toast with butter spray (6.5 carbs)

Lunch- tuna salad on low carb tortilla, romaine lettuce salad with Caesar dressing and a little Parmesan (8.7 carbs)

Snack- Smoothie King Gladiator small smoothie (no fruit) (1 carb)  (made me feel nauseous.  too much protein at once?)

Dinner- Italian Pork Chops, romaine salad with Caesar and a little Parmesan (1.7 carbs)
1/2 oz. vodka to toast St Patty's Day

Dinner was really good.
Italian Pork Chops
 4 pork chops
1 8oz can tomato sauce
4 slices mozzarella
garlic powder, celery salt, pepper, salt, oregano

Sprinkle pork chops with seasonings.  Place in 8x8 pan. Cover with tomato sauce.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  Top each chop with a slice of mozzarella.  Bake 5 more minutes.

This has been a good week weight-loss wise.  My tummy has shrunken ever-so-slightly which makes me want to tap dance.  I also checked the scale this morning and I'm down to 181. If you cut me I'd bleed rainbows right now.  That's how happy I am. :)  Hopefully by Sunday the scale will tip to 180.  It's just so nice to see it moving in the right direction.

I tell you, I was getting mighty frustrated for a while.  Yes, I was losing inches because I went down a size or two but still, it's nice to see the number drop too.  I can't lie to you. I love the numbers.

For a while I was monitoring every single calorie I ate. Diligently. I'd wear my Bodybugg and monitor every calorie burned.  The numbers would show that I should have lost 3 pounds and instead I'd gain 2 pounds!  WTH?!  It was constantly going up and down though the numbers showed something different. I guess not all calories are used the same. 

Fun, busy weekend planned here. Today we're going shooting and I need to go for a run or a walk or something.  Then later out to eat for some good steaks.
Saturday we'll be taking the kids to their first hockey game.  It's also a kid fest or something so they'll have a lot going on.  I love discount tickets. By the way, most of the stuff we do is on the cheap.  I look for deals through Living Social, Groupon, Urban Dealight, web sites, etc.
Sunday: canoeing

Hope you have a fantastic weekend. :)

11 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am SO happy for you. I am also VERY proud of you.

    Great job Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the scale is cooperating with you!
    Rainbows are good :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing so awesome, Kelly.
    I wish for you to feel better, though. I hate to hear how you are struggling with nausea and headaches :( I know that must be miserable and you seem to be a real trooper about it all.

    LOL @ toasting with vodka! You go, girl :)
    Enjoy your fun-filled weekend! Hope my kids never read your blog because they might just want to move out of this boring old house and come live with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If you cut me I'd bleed rainbows right now"

    LOL LOL LOL

    That is awesome! Great work on the weigh in and that made me LAUGH out LOUD. ppl at the office are going to think I'm cwazzzzyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Kelly!! It's so nice wo see your hard work payoff!

    Linked to your blog and borrowed your impossible quote in my my post today, hope you don't find.

    Trying to find that motivation to run today, too. Just trying to tell myself how great it's going to feel when I've accomplished it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally LOL'd at "bleed rainbows"!!! Glad to see this low carb thing is working so well for you. Oh, and the Gladiator? Jenny gets that, but I haven't been brave enough (Island Impact (small) for me).

    I know what you mean about tummy shrinkage - that, above all, is my true indicator that I'm losing weight.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha - I smiled about the rainbow comment! :D Good for you - the 170s are almost there!

    Have fun canoeing - I have been in 20 years - so sad because I love it!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you're onto something re: exercise helping when you're feeling tired. Sounds paradoxical, but once I finish the workout I feel a better kind of tired.
    But.. Italian pork chops? On St. Patty's day? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly I am having the same "problem" .. I am watching calories and monitoring them on an online program and I am exercises and keeping track of calories burned and I am workin' my butt off but the scale isn't going down like I think it should be ... but my clothes are getting more loose ... doesn't make sense, I am a numbers girl too and really like seeing the scale go down ... Hopefully we can both get this figured out and see some good numbers!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the loss, Kelly! You are on your way.

    That pork chop looks yummy. I'm going to have to try that recipe. We love pork chops around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are doing a phenomenal job! Keep kicking that booty and making healthy choices. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)