Friday, March 4, 2011

A Very Quick Update

Mom had her gall bladder removed yesterday as planned.  The doctor came out of surgery and had me go to the "family room" off of the waiting room.  NO!  Not the family room!  That's where bad news is delivered. Right?  He assured me that everything went fine but she had one stone that was the size of a large egg so he had to make the incision larger than planned to remove it.

Still, I got to bring her home that day.  My sweet hubby had picked up some oriental lilies for her.  What a guy.

Funny story about the hospital:  they have a McDonald's there in the hospital.  I went there for lunch and really wanted a fish sandwich but I asked for a side salad instead of fries.  Guess what.  They don't do that there.  Any other McDs does it but not them.  Maybe they're trying to keep business good for the hospital?  I just ordered a salad instead.  It worked out. A better choice than the sandwich anyway.

Today my mom woke up without any pain.  We got in an argument because she insisted that she was going to drive herself home.  Two hours away.  She drove home less than 24 hours after surgery.  So far she has had no pain and has not need pain medication.  Amazing.  Still not happy that she didn't follow doctor's orders about the driving.  I was going to driver her home!  Darn it, Mom.

Me?  I'm really doing great.  I'm eating like I should.  Taking my small crumb of glucophage.  Still can't move up to a larger crumb yet.  I've tried once to up the dosage and I guess my body just isn't ready.

It was a bit of a challenge to stay by my mom's side at the hospital yet still meet my food requirements.  Before we left I had a quick protein shake (it's hard to think of food that early in the morning) and for breakfast I had to eat a protein bar.  I carry a few in my purse because you never know.

Tomorrow Chuck and I will be volunteering for the Texas Independence Relay at exchanges 12, 25 and 38.  Our first exchange will last from around 3pm-8:15pm. It's about 2 hours away from our house.  The next exchange is from around 1am-5am Sunday.  The last exchange is from around 8am-4:15pm.  Don't ask me if I'm prepared. :)

Y'all have a great weekend.  Think about me when you're crawling into your nice, soft bed tomorrow night.  I'll either be sitting by a road in the middle of nowhere or sleeping in my van. LOL  Bring on the adventure!!

10 comments:

  1. What a crazyfun adventure awaits you and Chuck! Can't wait to hear all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your mom's surgery went well. An egg sized gall-stone?!! Geez, that must have been painful.

    Your weekend sounds fun. I've never heard of that relay. Can't wait to hear how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your race and glad that your mom's surgery went well!

    Protein bars can really be lifesavers. Portable and way better than junk food snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear everything went well for your mom! Hope she recovers quickly

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad all went well with your Mom! I had to laugh at her insistence on driving home! She sounds a lot like people in my family... I think we may be related! HA!

    Hope you and Chuck have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about your mom's surgery!

    I will think of you when I am all warm and cudddled up tonight.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an adventure! Maybe not a comfortable one, but still. I hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this relay where you guys are dressing up like the 1980s? Have so much fun - can't wait to hear all about it.

    Glad your mom is ok even if she is stubborn. Or maybe her stubborness helped her be ok faster?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO FUN!
    how was the volunteering??

    Cant believe the size o' the stone either.
    your poor mom!!

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that the surgery went well!

    Looking forward to your post about this relay- sounds interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)