Monday, April 11, 2011

Blue Bell Fun Run 10K Relay

YAY!  A race recap.  I haven't had the pleasure of doing one of these in a long time.

Friday night I was so nervous.  Did I pack the socks?  The camera?  Extra safety pins?  Where's my sport bra?! (Yes, I only own one!)  I had trouble sleeping.  Did the alarm clock go off?  What if I don't hear it?  What if it's set for pm instead of am?!

Then fears of messing up or not being able to find where to get my packet started up.  I was a nervous wreck. 

Saturday morning comes and the family is up at the ridiculous time of 4:15am.  I feel like I'm going to hurl.  Nerves can do terrible things to you.

Left the house and grabbed a Jack in the Box breakfast sandwich (I tossed the bun to the birds and used my magic roll instead) and we were on the way.  Still dark outside.  And I was sure every car I saw on the road was heading to the race because why in the world would anyone choose to get up that early?

Now comes the fun part: pictures!  It was so good to see Shelley and Jeff again.  Ready to see the cutest outfits there?  We.looked.awesome. 
Team Carpe Criem
 The beautiful and super sweet Shelley designed the shirts and had them made.  Gotta love the internet.  I found the crazy socks online too.
Adorable in our matching outfits.
 Time to get ready for the race! The guys had to go to one area to wait for their shuttles to take them to their relay station.  Shelley and I got to hang out for a little while by the start line. 
We actually had a bit of a time finding the start line.  We got in a pretty good walk before the race even started.

Shelley and I matched everything. The socks and shoes.
 Even matching Garmins!
 We also wore our "Sole Sisters" necklaces.  It was so good to see her again.  It's been too long.
 So Shelley leaves on her bus to take her to relay station 2.  And the nervousness really starts for me as I'm by myself waiting for the start of the race.

There were 23 relay teams.  We're told to line up in the street.  Traffic was not blocked so cars are waiting for us to go ahead and start the race so they can keep moving.  At first we're facing different directions not sure which way we're supposed to run! LOL  It was kind of funny because we were all nervous about getting lost.  The airhorn blows and we're on our way!

All nervousness is gone.  Now I'm just worried about not being the very last person.  I ran. I walked. I stopped to pull down my skirt quickly.  And I only had a mile to run! LOL  Got training?  Not me.  And then I see Shelley's bright shirt and she's yelling for me.  What a feeling!  There was no way I was going to stop now.  I had to pass my ice cream scoop to her.
Run, Kelly, Run!!
Even with a couple of walk breaks it was a 12:30 pace.  Not too terrible.

Then Shelley was off.  She conquered hills and a cranky ankle and did great!  Almost to Chuck for the hand off.
Go, Shelley, Go!! You can do it!
 And then Chuck is off on his 1.75 mile run complete with hills and uneven pavement in a few spots. Tore his poor knee up.  Ice is his BFF right now.
Go, Chuck, Go!  So glad we had bright shirts so we could spot each other easily.
 I should mention that Chuck had trouble finding his bus because it wasn't where it was supposed to be.  He spots it and runs downhill and it takes off!  He thinks he's missed the bus so he is running after it back uphill.  And then it turns around and he steps in front of it this time.  The guy says he'll meet him back at another location and Chuck says, "No, I'm getting on now.  I've already been running chasing this thing."  So he had a nice run before he ever got to his relay station.

The bus takes Shelley and I back to the finish line where we wait for Jeff.  We spotted his bright shirt and he was smiling and holding his ice cream scoop triumphantly.  On the count of three we all yelled "Carpe Criem!!"
Go, Jeff, Go!!!
 Ah, the beautiful finish line.
 Charlie waved his cowbell and cheered Jeff in. 
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell!
 Now for the fun part. Ice cream!  Carpe Criem! Seize the cream. LOL

Chuck and I enjoy some ice cream
 They kept bring out box after box of ice cream.  All you wanted.  And there were so many people!  3600 people showed up for this race. Wow!
 We all had an absolute blast.  We got to hang out with friends, eat some ice cream, and look freakin' adorable in our ensembles.  Shelley even won a half gallon of ice cream!  Hmmm.....wonder what flavor she'll choose.

And, being the sweet person that she is, she let us take home the ice cream scoop baton.  Thank you!  Rachel is so happy about that.
Chuck really was not thrilled about the socks.  I had to make him pull them up so we could get this picture. :)
I'm thinking we'll be doing this race again next year.  It was a lot of fun.  We were all exhausted from the festivities and took naps as soon as we got home.

And next year, I'm training.  No more next to last for me.  Plus it is now my mission for our team to win one of the engraved ice cream scoops that the winners of the relay get.  We can do it! 

Seize the cream.

8 comments:

  1. Great recap! I love that we took so much of the same impressions from the race - it really was fun, and just a blast to do it with you and Chuck. Loved our personal cheering section, too - Rachel and Charlie were good sports about having to get up so early...good thing there was ice cream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for Charlie! There can never be enough cowbell when cheering runners on.

    What a great way to spend some time on a Saturday morning. Running that's FUN and free ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kelly. It sounds like loads of fun to me. I'm so glad you shared it with us. What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your recap as much as Shelley's - so jealous that you guys live close enough to get together!

    Although, kudos to Chuck, I could never get my husband to wear anything matching with me! :D

    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! You look fantastic, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun time!!! I really love the socks!

    Congratulations to all of you on a job well done!

    Can there ever be enough ice cream?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)