Friday, April 15, 2011

Foodie Friday (Tango & Malbec)

Date night!  We had a Groupon to Tango & Malbec that was expiring at the end of the month so we needed to use it.

Tango & Malbec serves South American cuisine in Houston's Galleria area.  It just opened in December.

I wasn't sure how much to dress up or down but judging by the web site it looked like a pretty nice place.  Valet parking and reservations?  We haven't been to a place like this in a very long time. (turns out people wear everything from suits to blue jeans there)

Rachel let me borrow her red dress and I went shopping for some black heels.  I forgot how uncomfortable heels can be.  Every once in a while you'll come across a good pair that don't eat your feet.  These were not those shoes.  Since I haven't worn anything but flats, flip flops and running shoes in years, I got me a starter pair of heels with a small incline.  No need to make a fall on my face a sure thing.
Ready for our date.
Complimentary valet parking.  I felt a little strange getting valet parking for a mini van so we parked Vincent Van Go ourselves and walked in.
Turns out reservations really aren't needed at 6:45pm. Every one else is still stuck in traffic.
The pretty interior
Our waiter was great.  He told us about the cooking methods, the quality of the meats, the wines, etc.  And we got great seating!
Appetizer: Carpaccio Puerto la Cruz
Thin slices of beef tenderloin served w/ basil sauce & fresh mushrooms 
The beef was lightly smoked so that it was almost raw. Melted like butter in your mouth! Topped with parmesan shards.
Some of the best cabernet I've had in a while.  A South American wine.
Main Course: (mine) Bife de lomo 8oz served w/ sautéed vegetables
I've never had a steak so tender in my life. Seriously.
(Chuck's) Brochetes de Beef Tenderloin
Premium chunks of beef tenderloin, pancetta chimichurri sauce
The owner stopped by our table to chat. He told us to take our time because tango dancers (!!!) would be coming soon!


After they arrived he brought them to our table and we got to meet them.  Very cool. 


Dessert: (mine...had a few bites and brought the rest home) Torta Rogel: Traditional Argentinian dulce de leche layered cake topped w/Italian meringue & served w/ mixed berries
WOW! Pretty and sweet.
(Chuck's) Camila: Decadent warm chocolate soufflé served w/ mini chocolate shake & Camila & chocolate truffle
Sinful.
The plates were each signed in chocolate.
Cappuccino and tango dancing
They said we could get up and dance with them. Chuck said, "Oh, that's going to happen."
And a couple of parting shots:
And no one thought it was weird at all that we were taking pictures. :)


An incredible restaurant.  A little pricey. A lot tasty.  It's a place that I'd like to bring the kids to let them try some different types of food.  Everything was fantastic. And the company was pretty wonderful too.


Have a good weekend.  I'm going to be spending Saturday and Sunday with the family.  See ya on Monday!

16 comments:

  1. You look amazing - red is a great color on you and wowza, woman - that dress is fantastic! Loved all the pictures; the food, the atmosphere - looks like a really special night, and I'm glad you and Chuck had a good time.

    Can't believe Chuck didn't want to dance. Must be his knee, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked hott in that red dress!! Like Fiyah!

    The food looked amazing. My kind of restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great date night! You look amazing. And the food looked just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had an amazing evening!you look great! Groupon is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking hot, hot, hot! The food... but especially you. I can't believe Chuck didn't want to get up and dance just to show you off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that sek-say couple!

    What a cool place and the food looked scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great place! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I used to live in Argentina growing up! so I will take the wife on a date!! thanks!!!!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT is a great night out. I am envious of your Friday night. I let the boys go our without me and I just stayed home and watched old movies. It would be lovely to get dressed up and go out to a really nice place like that. I'm so glad you took photos to share with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely date night, Kelly! You look GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fabulous night !!! You look GORGEOUS !! Red is your color girl !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is night out! That dressing looks bangin' on you!!!

    Food looks really good...mmm...steak...I think I will have one tonight, with shrimp.

    Have a lovely time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHOA! Someone is a HOTTIE in that fiery red dress! You both look fab, and my mouth is absolutely watering at the food photos, especially Chuck's dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok your dress looks fab!

    and 2 years ago I took ballroom dancing and learned some tango and I highly recommend a dance class... they are super fun for you and your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look so good, Kelly!
    And the plates, signed in chocolate!
    Wow! Groupon is awesome, no!?
    Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. late to this but had to chime in with how amazing you look.

    and yeah.
    I covet the beef as well :)
    sign me:
    Carnivore McGee

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)