Wednesday, April 6, 2011

How NOT to Train for a Relay Race

  1. Sign up for a relay race 3 months in advance.
  2. Decide to start training 4 days before the race.
  3. First session: run intervals of 3:1 because that's what your half marathoner friend is doing.
  4. Do not stretch after the run.
  5. Do not use ice or heat or anything.
  6. Repeat two days before race.
I could come up with a million excuses why I haven't been running and half of them would probably be true but they would all be mere excuses.

Fortunately, we're in this for the ice cream and not to set any track records.  Plus the cute outfits and schwag. Gotta have that!

It's a 10K relay coming up this Saturday at Blue Bell. There are 4 legs so each leg is pretty short.  No worries.  I'll definitely train more consistently for Beachpalooza in September!
----------------------------
Monday weight: 176.1
Tuesday weight: 177.7 (well, bonjour, sore muscles!)
----------------------------
Monday Eats: keeping carbs around 30g per day
Breakfast:eggs and turkey sausage
Lunch: leftover cod and spinach
Snack: 1/4 cup almonds
Dinner: taco salad with the best homemade taco meat, greens, cilantro, squeeze of lime, mozzarella, cucumbers, feta and ranch dressing.
Then to visit Chuck's mom who had back surgery.  Came home and needed wanted a drink or something sweet.
Dessert: strawberries and cream (I haven't had strawberries for a while and these were sooo good.)
If you look at my pictures you'll notice that I don't like my food to touch on my plate unless it's a mixture.  I've always been that way.  I sometimes think I'd be happiest with divided plates so nothing would touch.  Do you mind if your food touches? (at least not in an inappropriate manner and never in front of you?)
------------------------
Everything is trucking along here.  Wasn't thrilled to see a little bit of a weight gain but I totally expected it. Hips are sore from starting up running again. I did 3:1 intervals for 30 minutes and reached 2.3 miles for a pace of 13:02.  Strange thing?  It's better than the pace I had been keeping when training!

Have a nice Hump Day and don't let the haters bring ya down. Surround yourself with people who make you happy. :)

13 comments:

  1. I don't like my food to touch either. My mom gave me a set of kids dishes once for my birthday so that I could eat and not have anything touch. It was a joke, but I really do use them.

    That's also one reason I want one of those bento lunch box things. Not necessarily because I'll make cute little bento lunches, but so that I can be absolutely sure nothing touches that is not supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on the food touching thing. I also don't like anything too liquid on my plate. I like my veggies drained very well so that the juices don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intervals are a wonderful thing. Jeff Galloway has made his money getting folks to try run/walk intervals and proving that sometimes, you are indeed faster!

    No food touching over here on the right coast either. And I think it's hereditary in my family because my little nephew is the same way ever since he was a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, we were supposed to actually TRAIN for this race?!? Well crap. I got distracted by the fun t-shirts and socks and ice creammmmmmm! No matter - we will have a blast!

    Also? Your half marathoner friend is loco. Just sayin' ;)

    And??? I died reading this "at least not in an inappropriate manner and never in front of you" - you SLAY me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cousin whose food cannot touch, she even asks the waiter at a restaurant to make sure her food isn't touching - I on the other hand could careless, it is all going to end up together eventually anyways =)

    Good luck with the trianing! I need to sign myself up for a running event too, I am scared/intimidated by them but I need to just bite the bullet ...

    keep up the good work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am like that with my food also. I particularly don't like my fruit to touch my veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Foods looks beyond yummy. Now I'm craving a turkey burger and taco salad. Bad temptress!

    And your training schedule reminds me of my "doing homework assignment" schedule in college. I'd do everything like close to deadline. I'ms uch a procrastinator. :P

    Happy Hump Day, Babe..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO glad you brought that up because I too don't like my food to touch. Also, like Karen, I have to drain my veggies really well cause I don't want veggie juice near my other foods. Nice to know I am not alone on that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I'll be the oddball here. I'm fine with my food touching AND I like to touch my food. I'm pervy that way ;)

    Your race sounds like it's going to be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Schwag!
    Must. Have. Schwag!
    And creamy something or other......
    And a cool shirt!
    And look at you go down down down with the carbs!
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ouchy running schedule!! Have fun this weekend anyway... and be sure to ICE after!! :)


    Yummy berries. must get some of them

    ReplyDelete
  12. That taco salad looks amazing! I want it for dinner myself tonight! yum!! I just stated following your blog and I have started a blog about my progress getting in shape too. http://heatherhealthyliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)