Thursday, April 21, 2011

Low Carb Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes

Rachel and I made these yesterday:
Quite the nom.
Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes
from The 30 Day Low-Carb Diet Solution

8 Tbs. finely chopped pecans
2 packets Splenda
1 Tbs butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Splenda (granular)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips

Place the nuts, the 2 packets Splenda, and the butter in a bowl and combine.  Line the 12 wells of a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners and distribute the nut mixture evenly among them (approx. 2 tsp per well).

Place the egg, granular Splenda, cream cheese, and vanilla extract into a blender of food processor and blend until smooth.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Divide the mixture evenly among the 12 cups.  Bake for 15 minutes at 350*.  Cool and refrigerate at least one hour.  Will keep refrigerated for several days.
per cheesecake: 2.2 grams carb, 2.4g protein

Problems I had:
*it took less than 2 tsp per well to evenly distribute the nuts
*the blender heated the cream cheese mixture too much so when I stirred in the chocolate chips they began to melt.  I would suggest just sprinkling them on top of the cheesecakes once you've poured them into the liners.
*don't try to fill the cupcake liners up very high or you won't have enough for all of them.  Just put about 2 Tbs or so per well.  You can always go back and add more.
-------------------------------
Eats:
Breakfast-coffee with creamer; 3 eggs with cheese; protein powder and almond milk

Lunch-leftover cod on bunch of salad greens with Italian dressing; almond milk with protein powder

Snack-carbmaster yogurt and a couple of nuts (literally just two)

Dinner- lots of chicken fajita, 1 low carb tortilla, sour cream, 1 Tbs cheese, grilled peppers and onions (SO good!)

Dessert-1 mini cheesecake
-----------------------
weight: 174.1

Really? Up and down. Up and down.   It was only down for a while.  Now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern.

My poor body.  It seems to have fears of letting go of its weight.  It has a mental hurdle of getting below 170 as if something terrible will happen.  It didn't want to go below 188 for a long time too.  It tried so hard to get back to 190.  Eventually it gave up and ventured into the 170s.  But as it approaches that critical 170# mark, the fears arise again.  So it's holding on to 173/174 with both hands.  It can't stand the idea of actually reaching 172.  What is afraid of?  Did something traumatic happen to it at 170 or below?  We may never know.

What I do know is that it's driving me a little crazy (which isn't a distant drive for me!!).  Every single day I eat what I'm supposed to.  Not too much. Not too little.  Watch the carbs.  Make sure I'm getting enough protein, veggies, etc.  The one thing I haven't been doing is exercising regularly.  Need to get busy with that one.

In order to save myself from scale insanity I'm going to start doing a weekly weigh in instead of daily.  If I can't handle that I might add in a Thursday weigh in as well.  But the daily ups and downs that go with the natural fluctuations of the body can wear on a girl.  I already know I shouldn't weigh myself every single day.  For a while it was fun but as the honeymoon stage of low carb wears off the weight loss slows a little. Plus I'm taking in closer to 30g carbs per day instead of the 20g before. Surely my body can handle 30g of carbs! The fact that I'm even losing weight at all still makes me happy. :)
------------------------
Chuck is home sick from work. He just left to go to the doctor. Poor guy.  We're supposed to take the kids to see the Impressionists exhibit at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts tonight.  Monet, Renoir, Manet, Van Gogh, etc.  We'll see what the doctor says.

So happy tomorrow is Friday!! Come on, weekend!

13 comments:

  1. I am so going to try these!

    Megan
    mommyminded.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to know why the body refuses to give. Maybe you are sensitive to the artificial sweeteners?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good. I am trying your baked "potato" casserole on Easter day for me instead of mashed taters the fam will be having. Have great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Ron is missing his sweets and I think this just may hit the spot for him.

    As for your weight - research "setpoint". Your body is just re-adjusting itself and will get moving soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only issue with low carb desserts is that they always use artificial sweetners. I've pretty much eliminated them from our diet since we don't "have to" use them (as a diabetic would). Ironic as I was reading through your post and you started talking about the scale making you crazy my first thought was "Why doesn't she go back to weekly weigh-ins?" GMTA!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I found your great blog! I loved your prom photos. What a beautiful girl! I'll be back and following now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will never be able to catch up to your level of flair - you are like a real chef! Love it! Love it - even the pictures make me feel great!
    Kelly, I stalled for like 8 weeks my first summer in LC. Then one day - *swoosh!* The Lovely Famed Swoosh Fairy came and did her thing. I thought I was sensitive to caramel color. That's the only thing I changed.
    Who really knows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm...the cheesecakes look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure if I mentioned it, but I did make the cauliflower mac and cheese and posted a pic on Facebook. It was soooo good.

    The only problem I would have with chocolate chip cheesecake recipe would be not eating the whole darn thing right out of the bowl.

    Hope Chuck is feeling better!

    I love me so art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to weigh weekly because the fluctuation drives me insane too! and it seems like my body just needs at least a full week to get a good loss - so my weigh in day is Tuesday but I still check periodically throughout the week ... its hard not to look, i feel like if i see a small gain it will push me harder and if i don't see it then i might not try so hard ... our bodies are so not consistent! So not fair! You know you're doing whats right, so just hang in there and I'm sure you will see a loss again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cheesecakes look awesome! I cannot wait to make them!! Yum Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh YES we are trying these too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cheesecakes look wonderful, Kelly. I probably couldn't stop at one serving though. I love cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)