Thursday, April 14, 2011

Stop and Smell the Roses

I'm loving our spring weather so much. Spring here means cool mornings and evenings in the 60s and days in the 80s. 

Charlie and I went on a walk while Rachel was in biology lab dissecting a bullfrog.  She actually found a shrew skeleton in its stomach!  Frogs will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. Even other frogs. 

Anyway, the day was pretty and we got to see lots of baby birds (that treated me like the paparazzi and flew away)  and 3 families of baby ducks.  My cell camera was washing out all of the photos for some reason but you can still see their fluffy adorableness.
On the way home I had to stop for a few things at the grocery store (why doesn't shampoo and deodorant run out at the same time?!) and they had knockout roses on sale for $3.99!  I got one for me and one for my MIL. (Buddy, if you're reading this DON'T tell Florence.  It's a surprise.)
Blooms all summer and even *I* can't kill them!
I also browsed the manager's specials in floral and got 50 rose blooms for $6!
Love a good deal.
The eats were a little off yesterday.
Breakfast: Muffin in a Minute with 1/4 cup pumpkin and a protein shake. Decent but taste nothing like the pumpkin spice muffins at Mimi's Cafe.
Lunch: convenience store food on the road--hot pork rinds and Diet Coke.  Don't judge.  I've liked pork rinds since I was a little kid.  My mom thought it was the grossest thing.  But they're actually pretty tasty and have lots of protein. What?  It's not that bad! I promise. :)  OK, not the healthiest lunch.

Dinner: bacon cheeseburgers in half of a low carb pita; Cauli "mac" n cheese
That's one hamburger patty cut in half and stuffed in the pita.  Half pita is 3.5 net carbs.
I found the pita bread at Kroger in the deli area.

I loved the caulimac.  So did Chuck and Charlie.  Rachel, who is a mac n cheese aficionado, turned up her nose at it.  She does not take kindly to mac n cheese imposters. 
Here's the recipe but do add some salt because it helps bring out the flavor.

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole
from Eating Stella Style
1 large head cauliflower cut into small florets
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus 1/2 cup for topping
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder (I used a little more)

Preheat oven to 375* and bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Season water with salt.  Spray 8x8 baking dish with oil spray.  Boil cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.  Drain well and pat dry between paper towels. Transfer to baking dish.

Bring cream to a simmer and whisk in cream cheese and mustard until smooth.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheddar, salt, pepper and garlic powder and whisk until cheese melts.  remove from heat and pour over cauliflower; stir to combine.

Top with remaining cheddar and bake until browned and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

Can also add leftover chicken, ham, crab or shrimp for a meal.
Yield: 8 servings  Calories: 190  Fat: 15 grams  Carbs: 7 grams  Net carbs: 4 grams Fiber: 3 grams  Protein: 7 grams

Dessert: low carb ice cream bar
----------------------
Weight: 174.6 And I feel it.  Hormones. Water retention. Blech.
------------------
Parting shot: Charlie made a "fancy entry" for us.  Love it.  This is such a good age. :)

8 comments:

  1. The roses look GORGEOUS, Kelly. I want some roses so badly to plant but it is too late for planting them here. I think they have to be done in February. I was so busy this year that I forgot. Maybe next year I will get it. My azaleas are already blooming and the tulips on skitter's grave are all abloom too. I LOVE spring and will be out there as much as possible this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that entry - please send Charlie over here to brighten up our walk. Tell him I have Legos - he can build houses and blow them up with firecrackers. I did not just say that!!! I would not let a 10 year old play with firecrackers. They have to be 12 at the minimum. ;)

    Oh, and my notchy neighbor (who has since moved) actually came over and scolded my kids for doing that. Hello, we were right there, supervising!!! Some people. Rolleyes.

    Love your roses! I've never tried a pork rind - cannot bring myself to taste one. Which in the grand scheme of things is ok, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having weather like us from West TN. Two days and many less carbs later I dropped a pound. Will be trying to find the other book you advised on and will also be visiting the other IR blog. Thanks for all the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bargains, the sidewalk the frog-in-frog...
    You really are a Happy Texan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those roses are an amazing color. I'm jealous.

    The cauli-mac is calling my name. I might have to check out that cookbook. I really miss mac n cheese. I can do cauliflower! (I've tried that pita. I'm not a fan of al ot of low-carb bread products, though. It always tastes a bit off to me. The soy, maybe?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cauli mac 'n' cheese needs to be made...it looks so good.

    I was going to grab some flowers today at the local farmers' market, hen I remembered I have no vase and I didn't want to use a skim milk carton again.

    Your roses are gorgeous and I love the path!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the entry :)

    I always see these great cauliflower recipes, but I never try them :(

    Looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm I wonder if my girl would eat that MAC and CHEESE.

    no time like this weekend to find out huh?


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)