Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Bit of a Rut

Ever feel you're in a bit of a rut and you need to break out of it?  That's me with the eats lately.  I need to try some new recipes. Maybe I should start listing what I eat each day again. Really helps keep you (me) accountable. It's kind of hard to post that you're trying to lose weight then post cheesecake and french fry pictures every day. Not that I would do such terrible things.

I'm still suffering from some nasty allergies that make me not-right-in-the-head.  I feel a little spaced out and I'm coughing a lot. Maybe it's a cold? Nah! I refuse to believe that. (De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt!)

Exercise is going well despite above mentioned maladies.  Monday I pretty much stayed in bed all day because I wasn't feeling well. (It's allergies, I tell ya!) Tuesday I forced myself to get up and get moving so I'd stay on the right track.  Don't want to do the summer gain like I've done the past two years.

The routine: ChaLean Extreme Burn Ciruit 2, Week 2
  • Sumo squat with bicep curl
  • lunge with one arm tricep extension
  • dead lift row
  • sumo squat with overhead tricep extension
  • dead lift with double row
  • bowler's lunge with single-arm row (this one kills me)
  • bicep curls with abductor balance
  • forward-lean lunge with double row
  • triple-threat push-ups (ouch!)
I certainly feel the burn this morning.  It's mostly in my triceps and shoulder muscles across my back and in my abs. Oh, and my rear. It's funny how you can be going about your day and make a move and realize, "Ouch! Guess I'm sore there too!"

I certainly didn't want to exercise yesterday but afterwards I was glad I did.  I just kept saying, "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. Just do it!" And I did.

Hope you're having a wonderful week!

10 comments:

  1. I've felt "rutty" in many areas for weeks! Just a certain je ne sais quois that I've been unable to pinpoint. I'm hoping that as the weather gets better (if it ever does, she says on day 4 of pouring rain) I will bust out like the spring flowers. I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that's helped me break out of eating rut is hitting up local farmer's markets. Had some terrific kale and bok choy last weekend, which is stuff I rarely pick up at the grocery store. Somehow, everything looks more appetizing on a cardboard table in a parking lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOOOVE that saying, Kelly! I'm going to make that my new mantra, I think!

    Hope your allergies ease up for you! And way to go on the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for getting in your exercise even when you didn't feel well. I'm feeling blah lately too but haven't been able to break out of my lethargic rut yet. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better. Kudos for still getting a workout in.
    I think the weather here is giving us all the blahs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe we can pull ourselves out of that rut this weekend. I'm ready. Summer is here, and it's time to really get active.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah, I've used that saying before too...and I'm always so glad I "did it" afterward. Maybe it's time to crack open your favorite cookbooks again - you always seem to get so much inspiration from them. I get into food ruts as well...sometimes I just list all the meals I can think of and that helps to remind me "oh yeah, I haven't made that in a while" - but definitely do whatever it takes to break your summer gain cycle. You have come so far these last few months especially - keep it going so you can do Beach Palooza in a bikini! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, that rut thing. It can lead to insidious weight gain, can't it? Not that I have ever had that happen to me or anything. Just sayin'.

    Funny for me, exercise is never the thing I don't want to do. I always want that. It's the eating that I don't always want to control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about a home made beef broth and onion soup you can add a great cheese on top (no french bread, natch)? That's graet for congestion. With my allergies, I always look for stuff for that, especially when it turns to bronchitis or something. I find onion soup works better for me than chicken soup.

    Also, how about a cuisine you haven't tried. I know you've done Italian, Indian, Mexican, etc. How about something new. Have you done Moroccan or Ethiopian or Persian?

    Hope you find lots of rut-busters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I have felt like that...I think I still have one foot stuck in the mud right now.

    Maybe you could find a few recipes that look good, print them out and make a couple per week?

    Hope you feel better soon...whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)