Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fun! Adventure! Terror! Part 2-Adventure

Saturday we rolled out of bed and headed into downtown New Braunfels for breakfast at a small specialty shop called Gourmage.  They boast on their web site about their cheeses and I am definitely a cheese fan.  They also sell baguettes, light breakfast and lunch, homemade chocolates and various gourmet items like smoked salt and chipotle olive oil and teas.

My breakfast: egg souffle with applewood smoked bacon.
Delicious.
 Chuck had the best grilled cheese I've ever tasted. It consisted of multigrain bread, havarti cheese, and rosemary ham.   Rachel had a chocolate croissant and Charlie had a ham and swiss sandwich.

We couldn't leave before getting some chocolates!  I took a knife and divided each one in fourths so we could all get a sample.  A very decadent breakfast.

Time to head back to the condo to change into swimsuits.  We were going to tube the Comal River which has the unique distinction of being one of the world's smallest rivers. It begins and ends in New Braunfels and is at a constant 72* because of the springs that supply it with 8 million gallons of water per hour.

Tubing in Texas is a tradition. Unfortunately, it seems to attract a lot of the immature college kids who think that using foul language makes them sound more grown up.  It's also a chance for them to show as much skin as possible and drink as much as possible simultaneously.

I had my reservations about taking the family on the tubing trip. But it's so much fun that I didn't want them to miss out.  They're going to be exposed to idiots eventually anyway, right?

Apparently something was going on at the Guadalupe River (a favorite tubing river) so every one was showing up at the Comal to rent tubes. We had to park down the street for $7 and take a shuttle to the tube rental shack.

Standing in line I realized that this was not something that I would have done a year or two ago.  There aren't many large women (or men) who tube the river.  Most of these folks are thin and in small bikinis. And the larger women that do show up tend to have an "I don't give a sh*t" attitude. I think most of the boys (they certainly did not act like men) shaved their bodies.  I would have been intimidated to be a part of this crowd only a few pounds ago.  And it's not that I look so good in a swimsuit now! It's just that I feel a bit more normal. 

We appeared to be the only ones with kids waiting in line to rent a tube.  Charlie learned a few new words.  No one was rude, just crude.  I'm sure the alcohol levels did not help the situation.

Tubes rented. Cooler rented. Time to jump into the blue-green waters of the river.



Rachel chillin'.

Charlie jumped in and out of his tube the entire float.

Stay thirsty, my friend.


He is the life of parties he's never attended. He lives vicariously through himself. Sharks have a week dedicated to him. If he punched you, you'd have to resist the urge to thank him.  He speaks fluent French, in Russian. He is the most interesting man in the world.

Rachel took the video. I'm in front and you can hear me scream a little. :)  I think this is the point where I lost a shirt that I had on the side of the tube. The plan was to cover up if/when I got too much sun. Oh well. That's why we have vitamin E oil, right?

The river was very crowded but every one seemed to get along just fine.  There were some times of solidarity when we would all cheer for someone riding a stupid-crazy-scary ride at Schlitterbahn that looked like a sling shot called the Skycoaster.  A song would start playing on the radio and all on the river would start singing. "Some people call me the space cowboy....some call me the ganster of love..." 

Time to exit the river after about 3 hours and get on the bus shuttle.  The bus ahead of us had a girl who had apparently had too much drink and left a mess behind.  It had to be hosed down. Gross!  All in all, a very fun trip.  Watching the kids smile and laugh was the best part.  And now they are wanting to know when we can do it again! :)


We headed back to the condo for showers and clean clothes.  Once again, time to eat.  This time to a bit fancier restaurant in New Braunfels called Huisache Grill
We didn't know it was prom night so there was a bit of a wait.  That's ok. There's a wine bar outside along with several gift shops.

One of my favorites. Not always easy to find.

Loved this shop! I was this close to getting a purse in the shape of a chicken.  Maybe it would start a trend? No, probably not.
Finally time to eat.  I'm afraid it was just too dark in the restaurant to get any good pictures.  I managed a fuzzy picture of our artisan cheese platter.
The goat cheese stuffed red peppers were my favorite!
I had the amberjack with lemon butter sauce and crabcake. Chuck had a mixed grill of semi-boneless quail, two beef medallions and duck breast with cranberry orange chutney. Rachel had grilled rosemary chicken and Charlie had chicken strips.


Off to bed after a great day.  It was an adventure on the river and an adventure of the palate.

Tomorrow: part 3 Terror!

9 comments:

  1. LOVE this post.
    Brings back some good memories.
    Thanks for a great weekend. I cannot WAIT to read about the Terror.

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! Glad you guys had this adventure together because you're right, you can't save the kids from the world's idiots forever. (That bad language thing - in public and on Facebook is a particular pet peeve of mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I used to be one of the idiots 10 years ago... funny how we grow up lol

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time! You are so brave to take your camera on the tube ride. I would have dropped it over the side after I flipped my tube :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos and the adventure. Can't wait to get a chance to go tubing here this summer. The water is still too cold right now but it won't be for long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the recaps, Kelly! I'm living vicariously through your vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tubing seems like a lot of fun!

    Chocolates for breakfast...now that is a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna go on vacation with you! =) Looks like you guys had a great time.... lovin' the recaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the tubing was so much fun despite the redneck rowdiness.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)