Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fun! Adventure! Terror! Part 3

I've always considered myself of the adventurous persuasion. Paddling in alligator infested waters. Once I even paddled over a submerged gator! Swimming in the same waters with gators.  Touching them on the tail while hiking. Riding a horse without saddle or bridle. Picking up snakes in the wild. Letting a spider crawl on me.  Tubing the Frio River at night. Riding a three-wheeler at night without lights and using my own knowledge of the landscape for navigation.  Jumping off a horse into a pond.  Things of that nature.

Obviously someone who seeks adventure and new experiences would love to ride zip lines.  On our way home Sunday we decided to make a detour to Wimberley Zipline Adventures.  It's something I've wanted to do for a while.  It's perfectly safe but gives you the thrill of zipping over trees.

Rachel was scared to death.  Chuck was looking forward to it.  Charlie did not know what to expect. Me?  I was ready!

We arrived at the ranch down a long dirt road.  Then you walk a path to a shed where they get you suited up in your safety gear and teach you how to use the zip lines.
We had to do a trial run on a very short line. 
 Part of the training is learning how to slow down before reaching the landing.  You use a gloved hand to gently pull down on the line behind you. Don't grab the line or it will jerk your arm pretty hard! I learned this lesson repeatedly.

 We all got a turn.
 So far so good!  We get in a beaten up old van and head up the bumpy dirt path.  Then time to walk uphill.  The views were beautiful.
Now I'm starting to get nervous.  How could I forget that heights would be involved?! HOW?!  I'm terrified of heights.  My muscles freeze up and I literally can not move. My hands start to sweat climbing stairs.  They're sweating now with me just thinking about it. Ugh.  Somehow this seemed like a good idea a couple of days ago.  Now I'm seriously questioning my judgment.

We are hooked up to the line one by one. And it's go time.  I think I may have blacked out on the first line or something because I remember nothing about it. Nothing.

Rachel is scared but doing great and actually enjoying it.  Charlie is practically running off the platforms to get going fast.  Chuck is doing great and having a blast.  Me?  I'm having a nervous breakdown.

Rachel doing great.
This is the third line where I completely lost it. Screaming. Crying. When I landed my knees were shaking so bad that I had trouble walking and had to sit down.  I became entertainment for the rest of the group that was there.  My hands were shaking and with great difficulty I was able to remove the lid from my water bottle.  I was trying to figure out how to get out of this without doing another zip line. I was on the precipice of hysterics.  But I sucked it up and went to the next line and the next until I finished.  It wasn't until somewhere along the way home that my insides stopped shaking and I realized I had hurt my hip pretty badly on one of the landings when I spun out of control and jammed my leg on the platform. I had tried to grab the line too hard and when it jerked my arm I let go and spun. Ugh.  How embarrassing!

Charlie had a blast!  He wasn't scared in the least.  He wanted to be first in line.  You can see him wave with one hand in this video.

Chuck took a great video of the sites and sounds of a zipline.

I even got a shirt to prove that I did it!
You have no idea.
Yes, it was scary.  Would I do it again? Heck, yeah!!

Thanks for coming along with me on my vacation.  I know it was a rather long recap but I had a lot that I wanted to share. 

Tomorrow: back to regular, vacation-free blogging. :)

7 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman :) I'd love to have a go on one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN FUN FUN!!! I'm so taking teens and husband there this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome awesome awesome!
    Do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, listening to Chuck laugh while you screamed was too funny - ahhh, husbands. Gotta love them!

    Heights. Yep. I kinda forgot that was part of the ziplining equation, too. You did great in conquering that fear - and it looks like the family had a blast!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)