Thursday, May 5, 2011

One Day You Will

We all have things on our wish list that we really want to do. Dreams, goals, vacations.  It may be weight related or adventure related. Money related or relationship related. But we all have them.

I have so many that I lose track of some of them but one thing that has remained constant is my desire to get in shape and my desire to backpack. Specifically I want to backpack at the Grand Canyon rim to rim.  I want to camp along trails under a blanket of stars.  I want coffee over an open fire.  I want to hike with my gear in a backpack.  I want to see pristine nature without crowds.  I want the thrill of the adventure.  I want it so bad.

Each month I get a new issue of Backpacker magazine and I browse through it wistfully and can almost imagine myself in the various places that it highlights.  The Smoky Mountains. Denale. Grand Canyon. Yellowstone. Arkansas. Appalachian Trail.  I want it.  My "reward" for reaching my goal weight has been twofold: a backpacking adventure to the Grand Canyon and a membership to Bayou City Outdoors.  It's a group in the Houston area (though there are chapters across America) that plans fun events almost every day of the month. It's not expensive but I won't join until I reach my goal. 

Sometimes I start to feel discouraged.  Will I really ever backpack when I don't even own a single piece of gear and all of it is extremely expensive? I need a backpack, a very lightweight tent, stove, cookware, water filters, sleeping bag, etc. I have none of that stuff!

On one particular day I was in one of those discouraged modes (I'm probably never going to backpack) and just happened to pick up an issue of Backpacker magazine. I opened the front page and this is what I saw:
It was like a sign from the Universe or the backpacking gods!  I needed that little bit of encouragement even if it was an advertisement for whiskey.  And I keep thinking about it whenever I start to feel discouraged about anything, not just backpacking.

One day you will. It can apply to any goal or ambition in your life.  I've made it my new mantra.
One day I will fit in size 8 clothes.
One day I will backpack a secluded trail.
One day I will join Bayou City Outdoors.
One day I will explore the tidal pools of the west coast.
One day I will have muscle definition.
One day I will beat my insulin resistance.
One day I will live in the hill country with my sweetie.
Never, never give up.

What will you do one day?
-------------------------------
Woke up super sore today.  I thought I was using pretty light weights yesterday with the Chalean Extreme but I am definitely feeling the burn today. That's a good thing!  But should it hurt to lift a glass of water?  Hey, it's just one step closer to my goals.

There is a shirt by Nike that I want that says, "Every Damn Day Just Do It".  I need to tattoo that somewhere so I see it "every damn day."
-------------------------
Last night I made some of the most awesome grilled chicken. The New Best Recipe cookbook by America's Test Kitchen never lets me down. It's the Bible of cooking.

Mediterranean Grilled Chicken with Sauteed Lemon Pepper Zucchini
Must have come from the Dolly Parton of chickens! Every one loved it. The rub paste made it!

Not really a recipe. I just sautee zucchini with some butter and coconut oil, lemon pepper and salt. Tada!
The herb paste is what made the chicken taste so good. I think it would make a great topping for fish or steak as well.

Mediterranean Spice Paste
From New Best Recipe cookbook

4 medium garlic cloves
2 Tbs grated lemon zest
1/4 cup packed fresh parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbs. fresh rosemary leaves
1 Tbs. fresh sage leaves
1/2 tsp. salt

Puree all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. Rub the paste over brined and dried chicken parts before grilling.

NOTE: chicken recipe calls for brining 1 1/2 hours before grilling so advanced preparation is necessary.
Charcoal-Grilled Bone-in Chicken Breasts

6 Tbs. table salt
4 chicken breast halves, bone in, skin-on
1 recipe Mediterranean Spice Paste

Dissolve salt in 1 quart cold water in a gallon sized zip loc bag. Add chicken; press out as much air as possible from bag and seal. Refrigerate until fully seasoned, about 1 1/2 hours.

Light a large chimney starter filled with charcoal and allow to burn until all the charcoal is covered with a fine gray ash. Build a two-level fire by stacking all of the coals on one side of the grill for a medium-hot fire.  Set the cooking rack in place, cover the grill with the lid, and let the rack heat up, about 5 minutes.  Use a wire brush to scrape clean the rack.

Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the brine, rinse well, dry thoroughly with paper towels, and rub Mediterranean Spice Paste under skin of chicken.

Cook the chicken, uncovered, over the hotter part of the grill until well browned, 2-3 minutes per side.  Move the chicken to the cooler part of the grill and cover with a disposable aluminum roasting pan (I just used the grill lid); continue to cook, skin-side up, for 10 minutes.  Turn and cook for 5 minutes more or until done.  To test for doneness, either peek into the thickest part of the chicken with the tip of a small knife (you should see no redness near the bone) or check the internal temperature at the thickest part with an instant-red thermometer, which should register 160 degrees. Transfer to a serving platter. 

It really is a good recipe.  Let me know if you give it a try.


Hope your week is great.  It's going by pretty fast here.
Remember: One Day You Will. :)

16 comments:

  1. I tried on that Nike t-shirt yesterday! Would have bought it, but it was in a fitted style...not for me. Love "one day you will" - what a wonderful promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post!! I want to go to the grand canyon! That's an awesome goal to have to backpack the rim!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With weight training you will be sore for the next few days, after a couple of weeks you won't even notice it anymore, We do weights 3 times per week around 35 mins and next day I don't feel anything...in fact I miss that feeling, it reminds me that I worked out.

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is that today, today I needed to read the first part of this post. Thank you.

    Oh, and WHEN you do that Grand Canyon thing, may I please send Little Helen with you? Because she wants to do that too and it's so not my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly, I've noticed your comments on Lori and Shelley's blogs and finally clicked on your site. How have I not found you before??? There is so much great info and fun pictures on here. Thanks for your posts, I'll be back to visit often. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always share the most scrumptious looking recipes, Kelly. You are so motivated to reach your goals. I wish I could borrow some of that positive energy. My goals aren't really weight related anymore though. I'm not sure what my real goals are now. I don't like feeling at loose ends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post Kelly - sorry, I am so far behind on blog commenting! :D

    "One Day I Will Be Happy With My Body." That is my One Day! :D

    I would start building your backpacking gear now - every month buy something, so when you get to your goal weight, you can hit the ground running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post!!

    One Day I won't have to worry about the scale any more! - because I will be at goal and I can finally just not worry about it any more. I know I will still have to maintain but getting there is half the battle! =)

    Can't wait to see your backpacking pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. Can I go with you and Little Helen to the Grand Canyon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see pictures from your Grand Canyon adventure!

    I don't know what is on my "I will" list. I am going to give it some consideration.

    Chicken looks great and zucchini is one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One day, not too long ago- it was one day I WON'T.
    I won't mess up.
    I won't binge.
    I won't give up.
    I won't eat 15 hunks of pie.
    I won't.....

    Now look at us!
    I''ll meet you at the Grand Canyon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post!!! One day i will, may become a theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who knew there was a Backpacker Magazine??!!!

    Love this post, Kelly! "One day I will not reach for food when the going gets tough." :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I want that Nike shirt too!

    One day I will not be scale obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have experienced all the "ups and downs" you have in the weight race to the goal. I have a lot of skinned, more properly loss of skin knees for falling off the waggon.

    I encourage you to try some short trails in preparation for Grand Canyon. Arkansas has plenty of scenic trails which are probably very different from Grand Canyorn because lots of vegetation.

    You can research on 'Net I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)