Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pan-Seared Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steak with Stir-Fried Snow Peas

Back to life and regular blogging.  Also back to eating better! I braved the scale and weighed myself. Two pound gain. Oops. Well, not as bad as it could have been. Fortunately there was a lot of swimming and walking over the weekend so I burned a few calories.

Today I also started back with weight training.  I'm beginning ChaLean Extreme.  It's a 3 month program that includes 3 weight training routines per week (about 35 minutes each) and two days of intense cardio.

The first phase is the Burn Phase.
Today's workout:
  • sumo squat with hip lift
  • lunge with posterior fly
  • push up with leg lift (the devil)
  • dead lift with posterior fly
  • lunge with core rotation
  • bench press and leg lower (ouch!)
  • squat with side bend
  • forward-lean lunge with dbl. arm posterior fly
  • chest fly with hip lift
Whew!  I was dripping sweat and my legs and arms were shaking by the time I was finished.  I'm definitely going to feel that tomorrow.  But it's all good.

How about a new recipe?  Eating at some of the nice restaurants over the weekend made me want to try some new and tasty recipes (that are still within my carb budget) at home.  Monday I started back to writing down every single thing I eat and staying on track.  I can do it!

Pan-seared Sesame Crusted Tuna Steak with Stir-Fried Snow Peas
I overcooked the tuna slightly but the flavors were complex and delicious.  I topped the tuna with a Ginger-Soy Scallion Sauce. Super yum if I say so myself.  It was nice to see everyone clean their plates. :)

Want to try it? Don't let it intimidate you at all. The entire meal took less than 30 minutes.

Pan-Seared Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks
From The New Best Recipe cookbook

3/4 cup sesame seeds
4 tuna steaks, about 1" thick
2 Tbs. vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
salt and pepper

Spread sesame seeds in shallow dish. Pat tuna dry with paper towel; use 1 Tbs. of the oil to rub both sides of the steaks, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Press both sides of each steak in the sesame seeds to coat.

Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over high heat until just beginning to smoke and swirl the pan to coat. Add the tuna steak and cook 30 seconds without moving the steaks.  Reduce the heat to medium-high and continue to cook until the seeds are golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Using tongs, flip the steaks caarefully and cook, without moving them, until golden brown on the second side, about 1 1/2 minutes for rare or 3 minutes for medium rare.  To serve, cut into 1/4" slices. Serve with sauce if desired.  (about 3g net carbs)

Ginger-Soy Sauce with Scallions
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
 2 1/2 tsp sugar (I used equivalent in non-sugar sweetener)
1 medium scallion
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Mix together.  (about 2g carbs per Tbs)

Stir-Fried Snow Peas
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
black pepper
1 Tbs plus 1 tsp oil (I used coconut oil)
1 pound snow peas, strings & tips removed
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger

Mix broth, salt & pepper in small bowl.

Heat 1 Tbs oil in 12" nonstick skillet over high heat until shimmering.  Add the snow peas and cook, stirring frequently, until bright green, about 2 minutes.  Clear the center of the pan, add the garlic and ginger, and drizzle the remaining 1 tsp. oil.  Mash the garlic and ginger with back of a spoon.  Cookd for 10 seconds then mix with the snow peas.  Of the heat add the chicken broth. (it should reduce down to a glaze).  (about 4g net carbs per serving; serves 4)


Life is good. See you tomorrow if my arms can lift the computer. Nothing that a little ibuprofen and Biofreeze can't cure. :D

3 comments:

  1. The tuna looks so good but there is no way the boys will eat anything rare or medium rare. They like well done. Plus, I'm not sure they would eat tuna either. I have some picky men around this house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - where did all your loving enthusiasm come from? You are on fire! This is gonne be a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 pounds on a vacation? That's nothing! In fact I'd almost call that a maintain as I bet you'll find it off in no time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)