Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weekend Whiplash

Sometimes the weekend ends like a car wreck leaving you feeling a little disoriented and perhaps a little down. You go,go,go,go and then suddenly it stops like a car crashing. Then you're left with weekend whiplash on Monday.

I'm not complaining! It was a wonderful time. I just hated to see it end.

I must show you my homemade necklace that Charlie gave me for my birthday:
A quartz ("to look like a real diamond") tied with string to a keychain necklace.
Yes, I did proudly wear this out which made a 10 year old boy very happy which made his mom very happy.

We arrive at the hotel Saturday afternoon after a very hot trip. The AC decided not to work to full capacity while the temp outside was 99* and the sun was beating down on my legs. It was warm.

After checking in and getting situated in our hotel room at the Crowne Plaza we cranked the AC up and made it colder than an Alaskan snow cone. That's cold.

Had dinner at Chris Madrid's (see picture of oozy cheesy burger below) and headed down the Riverwalk for some exploring.  Did you know that you should not explore a city in flipflops or any sandal that has a piece between your big toe and second toe? It hurts very quickly.

We made our way to the Hemisfair Tower because the kids had never been to the observation deck only to be told that they were closing in 30 minutes and we could not get tickets. *sigh*  We begin our flip flop journey back to the hotel and crash for the night. Until tomorrow, Hemisfair Tower.

That night we're all exhausted and fall into a deep sleep only to be awakened at 1am by *beep*.........*beep*..........*beep*
The battery was dying on the smoke detector. We call front desk and they send a guy who crawls up on a chair, removes the alarm and says, "I'll bring you another tomorrow. You'll be fine." 
Tomorrow comes and that night this is still what we had:

reminds me: I need to check my bill to make sure they didn't charge me for a missing smoke detector.

Sunday we get to sleep late! Yay! Then we were off to Mi Tierra to meet Ashley from Opposite of Thin. Don't you love meeting fellow bloggers? I felt like I had known Ashley for years because of reading her blog and she reading mine.

We had some great food and awesome ritas at Mi Tierra and chatted about our families, blogging, riding bikes, etc. Lots of fun. I love how she and her hubby have become so active since moving to San Antonio. They have bikes for rent at stations all over downtown and she and Rob go bike riding with their annual pass almost every day. So cool. Great way to get in shape and have fun doing it while getting to know your city.

Ashley is a sweetie. :)
Check out the crazy fun interior of Mi Tierra (open 24 hours)


Guess they have a crush on Bill. Nice job painting in some muscles in those legs.
 After lunch we check out some fun shops at Market Square.


This poor couple must have been waiting in the ridiculous line at Mi Tierra.
 On the way back to the hotel I saw this. Wow, 100% air conditioned. Welcome to the times.
 Yes, this is my birthday trip but I wanted to make sure the kids got to do what they wanted as well and they wanted to swim at the hotel's third floor swimming pool.
And while they did, I had a tequila on the rocks from the bar while Chuck sipped on a beer.

The wind blew hard the entire time. I don't know about where you live but we've had strong winds and very little rain all year. It's been kind of freaky, actually.
We all got cleaned up and headed to the place the kids wanted to eat: Lulu's Cafe. This is the place that serves the 3 pound cinnamon rolls and awesome chicken fried steaks as seen on Man vs. Food. I wasn't very hungry so I just nibbled off Chuck's plate. :)


And who should we see walk in? Ashley!! Small world.

We had a great time and I was able to get a shot of Rachel acting goofy. The kid has talent. haha


Yes, we got a 3 pound cinnamon roll. It's sitting on my kitchen counter now calling to me like a siren. But I listen not.

Dinner is over and we're ready to head back to the Hemisfair Tower this time in tennis shoes and we park closer. We get to the ticket booth and she says they're closing early (crap!) and we'd only have 15 minutes and we probably wouldn't be able to see the movie that goes with it. I tell her this is our last night here and we'll pay the full price but we have to get to that observation deck before it closes! (I'm sounding desperate like a scene from Sleepless in Seattle.)

We get our tickets and head to that observation deck. The kids loved it but I think Rachel and I had the best time with the wind whipping our hair and threatening to remove our shirts right over our heads.

Beautiful views at night.
 Ah, what fun. On the way back to the truck we stopped at an awesome park for Charlie to work off some energy. A breeze was blowing and pink clouds floated overhead. A great night.

Monday it was time to head home. :( On the way we stop at a gas station to get a Rock Star and this was on their door:
Dude. Go to the doctor. They can clear that right up.
I read on google that the average human bladder holds up to 16 oz (though some have chosen to correct me about that on Facebook and say it's more). But most fast food places serve drinks that are closer to 32 oz. These are things to keep in mind while on a road trip. Bladder capacity matters and you should plan accordingly.

We stopped at a Whataburger to use the restrooms. There was a line. Apparently lots of people were travelling and testing their bladder capacities.  While in line I saw a girl in her 20s with a cute sugar skull tattoo ala Day of the Dead. I tell her that I like her tattoo. She looks at me in my mom shorts, messed up hair, no makeup, mom shirt and wearing a homemade quartz necklace and says "thanks" (as in, "thanks, old lady but what the hell do you know about tattoos?") and turns back around. And that's when I turned 40. Right there in a crowded Whataburger restroom. It happened. I felt it.

Then I was all like"I'm going to get me one of those cool sugar skull tattoos. I've seen two of them this weekend. Where would I put it?"

If I got one I'd want it to be somewhere that I could hide away when we went to some of the finer restaurants or plays or the symphony. I'm just not sure I'd like to wear a nice gown with a skull showing.  But I'd also want it to be someplace that I could display it should I choose to. 

I finally came to the conclusion that I could just put it on my belly and it would be mine to see alone. But then I had a mental picture of me visiting a tattoo parlor and having to show my midriff and actually have someone touch it. They'd have to use one of those cross stitch frames to stretch out the skin.
On second thought, no thanks.

It was a great trip but it's definitely good to be home. :)

12 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday Kelly! Glad you had such a good time!!! A 3 lb cinnamon bun? Wow...it's true, everything IS bigger in Texas! :) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DYING of laughter over the cross stitch frame!!! You slay me!!!

    I adore sugar skulls. Perhaps you could find some art to adorn your house instead of getting the tattoo? Sounds less painful to me. ;)

    The wind has been ridiculous. We were about blown away this weekend in Frisco/Plano/The Colony. My flip flops nearly went flying off of Sam's 3rd floor balcony! And the dust that the wind is kicking up? Yuck. My lack of housekeeping is really showing with this weather.

    SA sounds fun. I've been in that tower many times but now you make me want to go again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful necklace and a fun weekend! What more could one want :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Fun Fun!! And Weekend Whiplash? That is a perfect description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had so much fun with you and the fam, Kelly! Such an awesome family you have! I'm so glad you enjoyed your weekend :) Happy birthday, again!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny lady!!! The cross stitch frame was too funny!

    Love all the pics...but Rachel scared me with her fingers.

    Charlie is such a "gem." Cool gift!

    Sounds like everyone had a grand time.

    I have never met a blogger...but it might be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that necklace! What a sweet gift :D

    Yeah, I hear you on the tattoo stuff. Sharpei anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow.
    Im impressed, Charlie :)


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (and I have a sugar skull tattoo :))



    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so funny.

    Girl, I got my tat when I was 48 years old. I was also worrying about where to put it due to many of the reasons you mention. Mine ended up on my lower right back. When I have a swimsuit on, it's at least partially visible. The upper part of your thigh is another place that's good (and usually doesn't have loose skin!). I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Helen.
    We can get our ink done at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)