Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Eats

Good Thursday to you. Let me just start off by saying that I can not wait for the weekend. Chuck and I are going to San Antonio to stay in the King William district in a beautiful Bed and Breakfast right on the Riverwalk. Saturday will include a special low carb breakfast, a massage in our room, and a ride in a 1968 Silver Shadow Rolls Royce. Thank you, Living Social! Love a good deal.  We'll be celebrating Chuck's 22nd anniversary of his 21st birthday. ;-)

I'm going to be upfront with you: Saturday's lunch will not be low carb. It will be a margarita splurge at Mi Tierra. I am not even a little bit ashamed. As a matter of fact, I wish you could join me.

Wednesday we were supposed to go to Tango & Malbec for the big wine launch. Didn't happen. Vincent Van Go had to have electrical repairs, two new tires and an alignment. ($$$$$!) Chuck's truck, Ellie Mae, is a big ole diesel Dodge and needs 4 new shocks, alignment and a new tire ($$$!) and Vincent needs a new windshield installed which will be happening on Monday ($$). With what we've been spending on car repairs I could have taken the whole family on a cruise to the Bahamas. Maybe two cruises. OR I could have purchased all of my gear for backpacking. ALL of it. It makes me a little sick to think about it. It needed to be done and I'm glad we were able to do it.

Long story short, no Tango and Malbec. Probably better. I'm sure the appetizers the chef was making for the party were not going to be low anything. Carb, calorie or otherwise.

Instead we stayed home and had huge strip steaks. I know my kids are spoiled when they say, "Steak again??!!!" and Charlie asks if he can just have a piece of leftover pizza.  What is wrong with them?! I could understand if they were getting pork & beans or hot dogs every week but complaining about steak? I think they're aliens or were switched at birth at the hospital. Somewhere out there are two kids who never complain and like adventure and reading and hiking and paddling and they both want to grow up to be mad scientists. LOL  Kidding, I love my two little complainers.

Chuck calls when he leaves work and I start the fire in the charcoal chimney starters. He gets home and gets the steaks on the grill and I prepare cauliflower with cheese, bacon, butter and sour cream.
 Unfortunately, the steaks were tough even though they were cooked perfectly and allowed to rest. I need to find a reputable butcher where I can get some good meat. It's disappointing to buy such beautiful looking meat and it turn out tough.  Charlie got his leftover piece of pizza after all. The cauliflower was delicious.

Oh, and earlier that day we were out and about turning in log sheets for the library summer reading program. We stopped by Sonic on the way and I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and put it on a low carb pita half. It was.....sufficient. :)
 And some random pics from lunch over the weekend at Saltgrass Steakhouse.
 Chuck's grilled chicken with goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes and some sort of chili sauce with veggies.
My grilled chicken with veggies. Tasty.

I'll be on the road tomorrow but I'm hoping that I'll be able to get in another post before I leave. I'm not sure if the B&B has wifi so if it doesn't I'll just post back here on Monday.

Hope your weekend is full of fun and happiness! And I'm sorry I haven't been around to read/post on blogs. Rachel is learning algebra which means I'm learning it too so I can help her. It's been busy. I swear by the end of each day I have a splitting headache. But I can do things like calculate how much carpet or siding I'd need for the house should we ever need it. Give me an X and, yo, I'll solve it.

10 comments:

  1. Channeling Vanilla Ice? I'm anxious to hear about your stay in the King William district.

    I'm taking my Mom to SA at the end of the month and I'd wondered if she could handle the walking tour of the area. It looks just divine! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...too funny. Hope you have a great time at the B&B! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my hook while the DJ revolves it.

    Can't wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun with your husband! The bed and breakfast sounds lovely.

    Food pictures looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the algebra, Kelly. I will have that class next block. I'm scared to death. I suck at math. I'm going to have to get one of those graphing calculators too for about $130. Yikes! The steaks look good to me. I would love some steak for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Looks like you are doing well. Your upcoming weekend sounds fun and yes, I wish I could join you for some margarita's especially, those are my favorite.

    The cauliflower you made in this post is there a specific recipe for that or do you just kind of throw stuff together? It looks REALLY GOOD!! I started eating low carb this week and I feel so good and the scale is already moving. YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL@the Vanilla Ice!

    San Antonio sounds like just the ticket...happy 21st anniversary to Chuck!!!

    I was actually tempted to order a margarita the other night at a Mexican restaurant...you have magic powers.

    Too bad about Tango & Malbec. I don't have a car so I never have to suffer from these expenses.

    The steak did look good, boo to it being tough. I like the look of the cauliflower though and that grilled chicken looks really tasty.

    Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, car troubles are such a pain! Sorry about that - you seem to have had more than your fair share of them lately.

    Have a blast in your favorite city, San Antonio! And Happy Birthday to the Chuckster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun in San Antonio and Happy bday to Chuck!

    I haven't helped my daughter with math since 4th grade - good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)