Saturday, June 11, 2011

Foodie Friday

Friday we left the house at 6:15am to get Chuck to his cortisone injection appointment. We've done this three times in the past and each time it takes hours because of the sedation and recovery.  I brought along my nook and phone to entertain me along with a couple of pieces of jerky and a cheese stick for "lunch" if needed.

We wait in the sitting area until a little after 8 and then he's called back. I set up my phone and earbuds with some Pandora on the Enya station for some easy listening and cue up my current book on nook and settle in. Fifteen minutes later Chuck walks back out! He's done?!  They don't sedate here. He was awake through the injection in his neck. He said it hurt but he liked this a lot better because he was in and out in much shorter time.

Along the way home he becomes nauseous so I get him home, tuck in him bed, and fix him his breakfast. Though nauseous, he hasn't lost his appetite. :)

Throughout the day he came and went in how well he did. At lunch we were all getting hungry and I had a Groupon for The Burger Palace that I needed to use so we headed back into Houston.

The Burger Palace is an upscale burger joint in the Galleria are (next door to Tango & Malbec) that only serves Kobe beef on their burgers.  The interior is trendy upscale but still casual. The parking lot was filled with BMWs, Mercedes, and a lone Vincent Van Go minivan.
 I ordered the Spicy Vietnamese to try something different. From the menu:
Spicy Vietnamese - $9.95



Cilantro, Cucumbers, Jalapeno, Pickled Daikon and Carrots, Soy Sauce & Siracha



 An order of truffle fries

Chuck and Rachel each ordered a burger and Charlie got chicken strips (*shock*). The kids also each got a chocolate shake.

The burger was very good I have had better. The fries and onion rings were extremely greasy and the fries weren't too crispy and I didn't taste a hint of truffle. Despite mediocre food the restaurant was filled to capacity with people waiting for tables.  This isn't a cheap place either. Our bill, before applying the Groupon, was $72. For burgers.  Needless to say this was a splurge and I doubt we'll be gracing its booths again. I'll take my minivan and my business elsewhere.

Took Chuck home and tucked him back in bed because he just wasn't feeling like himself yet. He had insisted that we go out for lunch but I think it may have gotten the better of him.

While he rested I took Rachel to the library to pay a fine (did you know some people run up over $100 in fines?! Not me but the librarian was telling me about it) then we went to Barnes and Noble to pick up Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to go along with our Medieval history studies we're beginning next week. I also picked up an origami book for Charlie since he's shown an obsession interest and a couple of journals for the kids to write history summaries from their textbook chapters. So many books, so little time.

That evening Chuck and I were supposed to use a voucher for a fancy sushi restaurant but neither of us were very hungry and he wasn't back on his feet yet so we postponed it and just scavenged the kitchen with me cooking a couple of eggs along with some bacon and wrapping it in a low carb tortilla. I may have had a small glass of wine too. Breakfast tacos and wine. Sounds like a good dinner to me!

We sat around watching ID channel (Rachel loves to watch true crime tv programs) and then I read from the Hunger Games and we all went to bed to read from our books. All except Chuck who watched Family Guy. LOL One day I'll get him to read. Just you wait and see. ;-)

And some good news? His neck isn't hurting as bad! He does have a nasty headache but they said he might and that he might feel more pain before it lessens.

More good news? I've lost two pounds this week! I had gained a few pounds (nothing major) but that's not the direction I want to go. I want to go down. Wait, that doesn't sound right. I want my weight to decrease. That's what I mean. I actually don't give a flip what the weight does as long as I can get in those size 8s again. :)

Hope you're having a good day. I need to get Vincent Van Go some new shoes today. It must be out of alignment because it ate its two front shoes. Bad car. One day it will be replaced with an Audi.

Happy Saturday to you and yours.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly, congrats on the 2 lbs down. Hope Chuck continues to feel better and you and the whole family have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good about Chuck not having to be sedated. Hope he is feeling back to 100% soon.

    The burger looks good, but if it is good not great, I wouldn't go back either.

    Yay on the two pound loss!!! Woohoo!!!


    Hope Vincent behaves himself after he get new shoes!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that Chuck's procedure went well. That must have been a relief. I was always sedated too for the injection. Not fun waiting it out. Sorry you lunch was a bust. The burger looks good but if it doesn't taste good then it isn't worth anything. I like homemade burgers. I can put what I want on it and use thin bread instead of thick buns.

    I hope Chuck is much better soon. Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the loss, Kel! And I hope that Chuck gets to feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that the procedure for Chuck went so well! What a relief...and I hope he's feeling some relief, too!

    Congrats on the scale letting go of a couple pounds. Always a good thing!

    Too bad about the burger place being a bust - the fries looked good, although I wouldn't know what a truffle fry is supposed to taste like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want a healthier burger, I'd suggest this recipe from Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition (http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-makeover-weight-loss-edition/recipes/ThemeGallery/795475)

    They premiere a new recipe every episode, Monday nights on ABC at 10pm/9c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushy + truffle fries do not go together!

    Hurray for going down, um, errr losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woot on the 2 pounds! Wow, that is pricey for a burger joint, even with a Groupon. But I will need to recreate that burger at home - love all the complex flavors and you had me at sriracha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here you are! My machine didn't get the updates!
    So glad it all worked out for Chuck.
    And you! Awesome looking burger!
    The more I cook, the less I like eating out.
    Maybe out tastes are changing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)