Thursday, June 30, 2011

Low Carb Cinnamon Walnut Muffins

Yesterday I wanted to cook up a new recipe so I got out my The Low Carb comfort Food Cookbook by Drs. Eades and made a batch of their cinnamon walnut muffins.

They're super easy to make and don't call for any soy flour like so many of the low carb recipes do in cookbooks.
 Oh, they smell sooo good!
I get one while it's still warm. I even restrain myself long enough to take a picture. Then the first bite. Bleck!!! I forgot to add the sweetener! That's what I get for trying to bake while jacked up on allergy medicine.

Solution: sprinkle sweetener on them. :) The kids wanted to try one too so I put some sugar free pancake syrup in a bowl and they dipped pieces in that. They loved them! Chuck brought two to work with him this morning.

These are very tasty (if you remember to sweeten them) and are quick and easy to make.

Cinnamon Walnut Muffins
12 oz. cream cheese, soft
5 eggs
15 packets Spenda sugar substitute
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1 cup wheat bran
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325*. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan (I use the baking spray from Pam and it works great). You can also use muffin liners.

Put cream cheese and two eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat with a flat beater until smooth and fluffy. Add the other eggs, one at a time, beating briefly after each.  On low speed, stir in the rest of the ingredients except the walnuts.  When mixture is well blended, stir in the walnuts.

Fill the muffin pans almost to the top (the muffins will rise only slightly). Bake muffins for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  These muffins freeze well. Thaw at room temperature.

Yield: 12 muffins.  Each muffin: 5.8 g. carbs; 10.6 grams protein


I found almond flour at Kroger in the "natural" section with th other Bob's Mill products.

Happy Thursday to ya!

2 comments:

  1. That is a running gag in my house because I've forgotten to add sugar to muffins, not once, not twice, BUT FIVE SEPARATE TIMES!

    Good idea about dipping them in syrup! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good to your family!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)