Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Well, hail!

Rachel's birthday was nice and quiet since I was grounded without a vehicle. Sunday night Chuck and I blew up balloons (one had the nerve to pop in my face leaving my lips tingling) and lined the stairway with them. We had to lock up the kitteh because I had mental images of her popping the balloons all night.

The kids love it when we decorate the stairway for their birthdays. It's special and I feel like the Easter bunny sneaking around decorating in the middle of the night.

Monday I ordered Domino's for her birthday since I really couldn't take her out to lunch. I suppose we could have taken our bikes somewhere but that would require highway riding for us and I'm not riding my bike on the highway with Houston drivers.  Needless to say, lunch was a carb fest.

That night we had plans to take her to the Melting Pot where they had a magician who performed table to table. I had reservations and everything. Rachel decided that she didn't want to go anywhere that night. She was sleepy and it was actually raining outside (!!) and so we just stayed home.

But before the rain came down we had a little bit of a surprise as golf-ball sized hail rained down and hit our windows. I just knew one of them was going to break but we made it through in one piece. Unfortunately it did cause some accidents on the roads since it happened right around the time of rush hour.

 Yesterday I was still without Vincent Van Go so we stayed home and did lots of school work. Rachel is working through two years of math this summer because she wants to take a physics class with her friends next year.

It was a very low carb day for me yesterday complete with deviled eggs (oh, they're so good) and breakfast tacos for dinner: low carb tortillas, eggs, turkey sausage crumbles, cheese and salsa.
Something bad must have happened with the upload of this picture. There's eggs and then trees? You get the idea though.

Breakfast tacos and a bit of crenshaw melon on the side.
The crenshaw melon on the side was so sweet and perfect. I knew it was going to be good when I picked it up at the grocery store and it smelled like flowers. Mmm...makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

I did finally get my van back last night. We're not even going to talk about how much it cost but let's just say my money tree in the backyard has been plucked clean. Yikes. Apparently there was a relay problem. I don't know. Something electrical. At least I have my box-on-wheels back.

And I leave you with a parting shot. Charlie took one of Rachel's birthday balloons and turned it into an eyeball. Boys are so weird. :)

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad Rachel had a good birthday in spite of the hitches in the plans. Wow, on the hail. We had a storm like that a couple of weeks back. It was scary and we weren't even out on the roads. One of our cats was outside and we couldn't find her but she came home safe after it was over. Happy Birthday to Rachel and I'm glad you got your van back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love birthday parties! Sounds like yours went well!

    I hate unplanned expenses because it causes unnecessary stress on life! Hope everything goes well with your van!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great kid not getting all bent out of shape because of the van issues! Sounds like a fun time was had by all in any event.

    I love it that your kids still are impressed by decorations. What fun that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those stair decorations are something those kids will cherish the memory of their whole lives. Who knows, you may have started a tradition that will continue for generations to come!

    We had some bad, bad, crazy storms with hail last week - the same day as those tornados hit Massachusetts. We NEVER get storms like that - it was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, you can't see the forest for the eggs? That doesn't sound right, but seemed appropriate, given the funny picture upload.

    Glad you have your van back. I hate spending money on car repairs...always have. Necessary evil. But I'm also glad that you didn't ride your bike on the highway! Yikes. Too many big vehicles against a little bike.

    Charlie just cracks me up, from his shirt to the eyeball. Yep. Boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Rachel had a great birthday!!!! LOVE Charlie's shirt (and the balloon eye). You have great kids! Have a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great birthday was had!

    We haven't had much hail, but some scary storms have rolled in. Now we are dry and hot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I want rain I'll pass on the hail. I love breakfast tacos, HEB sells some really good low carb tortillas, only 80 calories. I also use the turkey sausage crumbles, Jimmy Dean right?

    http://jimmydean.com/products/turkey-hearty-sausage-crumbles.aspx

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay to great birthdays!!!

    I need to have some deviled eggs soon! I think I am going to add crumbled bacon to the yolks...a bit of green onion and mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful time!
    Poor kitty - no fun for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)