Friday, July 29, 2011

Foodie Friday

So splurge dinner came a little early this week. I had some Houston Entree vouchers that were about to expire so we decided to use them up in one glorious night.

I started the day with a protein shake: almond milk, Jay Robb vanilla protein, and some Pb2.

Then I was pretty much on the road the rest of the day. Needed a hair trimming and Rachel was meeting some friends at the mall plus a trip to the grocery store plus rush hour traffic. 

While I was running the roads I made a stop for some gas and also got a small bag of beef jerky and a SF Rock Star. Lunch of champions.  Not really.

OK, first stop was to Julia's Bistro. Nice, trendy place that just happened to be having a party/fundraiser going on.
 Chuck chilling out while the party's going on behind him.
 Ahhhh. No kids menus.
 Oh look! A mojito. Very refreshing.
 When we go out, I get to choose the wine. This is a French Malbec. More tannins than the Argentina variety but I like the boldness of a Bordeaux so this was just perfect.
 Our voucher was for two prix fixe dinners. Chuck and I decided to get one of each so we could sample each other's food.
 Pork belly. Was much better than I thought. Chuck ordered this.
 I got the amazing snapper croquettes. Wow these are packed with flavor.

 Chuck got the gazpacho. I'm not a huge fan of raw tomatoes but it did have a good flavor.
 They had a replacement for the jicama salad. This was spinach, goat cheese, pine nuts, sliced peaches and vinaigrette.

 I had the most excellent cod. I couldn't even finish it all but Chuck helped me out. I don't care for mushrooms much but these were fantastic.
 Chuck got the chicken dish.
The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Complimentary valet parking is behind the restaurant. Definitely a place I'd like to visit again.

We were in Rachel's car because Vincent Van Go (my minivan) was still in the shop getting damage from the wreck fixed. It was a perfect night to put the top down and listen to some Depeche Mode while cruising to our next destination.
We arrive at Royal Oak Bar & Grill on Westheimer in the Montrose area. Valet parking and this place must have been the place to be. Packed. There are two stories plus an outdoor seating area. Here's a little video of the bottom floor.
Some girls in matching tiny dresses brought over a free sample of something called Red Stag. Yum!!
 I sipped on a ginger julep that was perfect.
 For our voucher we ordered some spring rolls with a sweet chili sauce.
 And some jalapenos stuffed with a bacon and cheese mixture.
We really weren't hungry so we just enjoyed the nightspot atmosphere and nibbled a little on the food. Just wanted to try it and see if it was someplace we'd like to visit again.

Got home before midnight and watched a movie and finally went to bed around 3am. When will I learn that I can't stay up all night like that?

It was quite a splurge evening and this morning I'm sipping on my protein shake. After all of that rich food I need something bland for my poor tummy. Believe it or not, the scale was actually down some this morning. I'm expecting it to reflect my dinner in a couple of days.

And guess who came home this morning?! Vincent Van Go!!!!! I know I bash him verbally from time to time but it is a sweet ride. Outside it's pretty meh but inside it's nice and it's so much smoother than the convertible. Welcome home, Vincent. :)

Now to get packed to go visit my parents for the weekend. Charlie will be 11 on Monday so we're going there to celebrate with his cousins.

Have a great weekend! See ya Monday.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an evening to remember. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. You have some exciting times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun sounding evening. YOu look GORGEOUS in that photo!!!! Have a great weekend Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! and you guys know how to have fun!!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great night!!! Have a fabulous weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang girl, that was a lot of food! I can't wait to see what restaurant you pick for our dinner in Galveston. :)

    I agree with the others - you look amazingly beautiful in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your posts are a list of places I should go (to eat and hike) when I got to Houston next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am ttying to think of a COOL comment because you Texans really need it, but it is about as hot here and no relief in sight.

    But glad to see it has not slowed you down. WHAT A DAY OF EVENTS! I would have gone home after two.

    Enjoy your visit home and may the birthday celebration be COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that picture of you.

    And those jalepeno poppers? I want!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)