Friday, July 22, 2011

New Recipe; Back to Running

I don't know what got in to me Thursday morning but I woke up bright and early at 6:30ish without an alarm and got the wild idea to start running again. Right then. No pre-planning or even thinking about it before. Just got up, laced up the shoes, strapped on the Garmin and headed out the door.

It wasn't long, maybe a half mile into the walk 3/run 1 minute intervals, that I asked myself why I was doing this. But being someone who gets a little depressed if I give up, I pushed through and finished up a slow 5K in 48 minutes. I wish I would have had a camera on me because I've never seen sweat running down my arms like that. It was flying in the air as I ran.

I did catch a glimpse of my shadow as I was "running" and realized that I do not look like the typical marathon runners. I did not take long stride but short , quick ones. It looked like I had stomach problems and was trying to quickly get to a bathroom. So much for graceful running.  I had no idea I looked like that! Guess maybe I keep my legs too tight and don't stretch out enough? It was an ego deflater for sure.

My face was beet red and my shirt was soaked. My hair was dripping sweat as I drank some electrolytes. A cool shower felt righteous.

Exercise: 3.1 mile walk/run in 48 minutes. Not going to win any races but I won't be chased by the sag wagon. (I almost typed slag wagon but looked it up and it has an entirely different meaning! Yikes.)

Breakfast: PB2/chocolate protein powder/almond milk shake. Loving these.
 The morning slipped away from me and suddenly it's lunch time. Same thing happened yesterday.
Lunch: leftover beef roast, mustard on low carb tortilla.  Wasn't very hungry.
 I had to take Rachel to Gavel Club where she is an officer. The kids learn how to give various types of speeches, evaluate each other, etc.

While she was there, I headed over to my candy store.
 I have such a tough time leaving this place. Just look at all of that camping gear. So many wants; so little money.
 My candy stores: REI, Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Barnes and Noble.
 What's your candy store?

Rachel had an officer's meeting after her club meeting and by this time I'm getting pretty hungry. I made a not-the-best choice while out. Sonic. Happy hour drinks from 2-4pm! And while there I got this: (at least I removed the top bun)
 Whew! That hit the spot. I was pretty sure I was going to die of starvation. Seriously.

While waiting I checked my geocache app and saw that there was indeed one nearby so Charlie and I started our search. That turkey walked right up to it while I'm looking high and low. Nice find, Charlie. :)

Dinner time. I wasn't expecting a lot from this recipe because the ingredient list is so basic and short even though it's a recipe from Cook's Country magazine. Greek Beef Kebabs with grilled feta and pita bread. I used low carb pita bread. :)

I was pleasantly surprised when the food hit the grill and smelled like something you'd get at a restaurant if it were a good one. Oh my!
 The taste? Absolutely incredible. The kids loved it; Chuck and I loved it. It's a new favorite. I wish I had some for breakfast this morning. So good and yet so simple. You really should try this.
 Paired it with a salad topped with kalamata olives, the grilled feta and vinaigrette.
 Greek Beef Kebabs

2 Tbs. lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
6 Tbs. olive oil
8 oz. block feta cheese, sliced 1/2" thick
6 (10") pita breads (I only had 4.5)
1 (1 1/2 pound) flank steak, trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4" thick (I used a flat iron steak)

1. Combine lemon juice, garlic, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and oregano in bowl. Slowly whisk in oil until thoroughly incorporated. Brush feta slices and pita with 2 Tbs vinaigrette.

2. Toss steak with 5 Tbs. vinaigrette. Thread steak onto six 12" skewers. Grill skewers over hot fire until lightly charred, 1-2 minutes per side.  Transfer steak to platter and tent loosely with foil.

3. Grill feta and pita over hot fire until lightly charred, about 1 minute per side.  Transfer to platter with steak.

I like to take a piece of steak and feta and wrap it in a piece of the grilled pita. Have I convinced you to make it yet? :)

After our great dinner, we went to Barnes and Noble to browse but I ended up with  4 new books:
 Back at home I had dessert: low carb ice cream bar
------------------
Today it's Friday. I woke up with sore legs and my hips are screaming at me. Ibuprofen and I will be buddies today and I'll probably be resting unless I go out for a bike ride.

TGIF, y'all!! Hope you have a good one.

14 comments:

  1. Up until verrrrry recently, Sonic had a grilled chicken wrap that was a good way to stay somewhat healthy while eating there. We went a couple weeks ago and it's not on the menu anymore. I actually got angry about this. Like bitch and moan about it in the car on the way home ANGRY about this!

    Speaking of books/candy stores - you saw that Border's is going out of business and the liquidation sales start today, right?

    My candy stores (love this idea) - Target, Office Depot/Max, Book People (local, independent bookstore that i lurve)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love running, the earlier the better in the summer and all that sweat is actually good for you! Running early in the morning before breakfast is also the best way to lose fat. I'm liking the meals and actually getting some ideas from you, thanks for sharing.

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pic of you with the sweat flying would be fabulous! Great job on running!

    The recipe looks great. I make something very similar with pork and chicken. Yum!

    Have a smashing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard about grilling feta, but now I must try it! The entire dinner looked really good - wonder if I'll get up the gumption to actually cook it? ;)

    Good on ya for running just because you felt like it! As for your stride, you could try experimenting with a bit of a longer one. See how you feel with it. I'm pretty much a short strider, but then again, my legs are pretty short to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite saying ... No matter how slow you go - you are still lapping everybody on the couch! :)

    GRILLED FETA???!!! Where has that been all my life! Must try!

    You're doing GREAT, Kelly! Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly, I bow at your running feet!!!! Doesn't matter what you looked like, you were movin!!!! YAY YOU!!! BTW....I salivated a bit at the thought of grilled feta. Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you use Runkeeper on you phone? much better than Garmin, it's a free app.. try it.

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you asked, this will come in handy...


    http://www.amazon.com/Quality-LG-Optimus-Resistant-VanGoddy/dp/B004THZFZ0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311354375&sr=8-4

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you can take any leftovers and put it in a wrap to make a quick delish lunch.

    I love the idea of putting a pita on the grill.

    My candy store?

    I love a good book store, Target and Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonic messes with my blood sugar....
    McD and whataburger don't!
    I wonder if some of these ff places us soy fillers.
    I love that you are running! Just did it! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grilled feta! I think my life has been incomplete until now. I need to buy it in blocks and not crumbled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gavel Club sounds like a great idea. Wish I had done that when I was young. I guess there's Toastmasters International for me now.

    You're finding out how important it is not to over-do it when you start a new exercise program. I've made that mistake myself.

    Best wishes,
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny Kel! I have recently decided that I want to be "a runner". I've got the mindset, I've actually got the drive (mostly), but I don't have the "look". I guess I would say I look just like you described...looking for a bathroom before I have an accident!! I laughed long and hard at your description!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too funny Kel! Your description on how you look when you run is exactly how I see myself when I lurch down the road! I recently decided that I wanted to be "a runner". I have the want, I have the drive, I have the desire, I have it all. What I don't have is the grace...yet! It will come!

    My "candy store" is Lowes..Bill Bradley did nothing if not instill a love for a beautiful yard!!

    And love the recipe for the chile rellenos casserole...can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)